Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 04:19 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,721,676 times

Advertisements

Right right right. I long for a new city I think, and some of Miami really fits that longing. I am about to embark on something career-wise that might keep me here for many years to come. As such, I've learned to look at the positives of Denver. And once I got over my whininess of being a local and living here too long, I realized there are lots of things I like about Denver.

Turns out, it's not Denver I dislike but more my suburb! Just goes to show, if you don't like one part of Denver, just go somewhere else! There are lots of areas of Denver that are separate and distinct, so surely would make someone happy! I still miss the sea though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
No, it was probably me you were thinking of.

I lived in Denver (Aurora, actually) from June 2007 to May 2009. I had been pretty active here on the forum (including Denver's) during that time. I moved to Spokane, WA (much smaller than Denver) in May.

I know your position on Denver being small, and know that you long for Miami (i.e. the big city). We've conversed before on Denver forum threads.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:30 PM

573 posts, read 2,506,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanttomoveeast View Post
Turns out, it's not Denver I dislike but more my suburb! Just goes to show, if you don't like one part of Denver, just go somewhere else! There are lots of areas of Denver that are separate and distinct, so surely would make someone happy! I still miss the sea though...
That's exactly how I feel! I loooaaathe Aurora but can't wait to move back and live somewhere in Denver proper, maybe around DU

Old 07-24-2009, 04:52 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Right right right. I long for a new city I think, and some of Miami really fits that longing. I am about to embark on something career-wise that might keep me here for many years to come. As such, I've learned to look at the positives of Denver. And once I got over my whininess of being a local and living here too long, I realized there are lots of things I like about Denver.

Thornton, right?

Yeah, I probably would grow tired of Thornton as well.

Maybe someday you can take your own advice and "just go somewhere else", your happy (Denver) place is out there somewhere, and being a "local" it shouldn't be hard for you to find it.

As for the sea, spend some summer days at Cherry Creek Reservoir, and do your best to convince yourself that it's really the ocean. I know, a stretch, but apparently there are people out there that have the ability to make mountains out of molehills.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:58 PM

93,356 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I read a National Geographic article about Denver and its African-American community. It was from March 1979. From what I read, the Black community in Denver had a relatively high educational attainment.
Very true. I believe many in the city of Denver go to High Schools like East, George Washington, Montbello and Manual.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Are you talking about Pena? He was before Wellington. After Wellington is Hickenlooper, our current mayor.
Yes, my bad. Pena, then Webb.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
That's cool, the kind of consciousness I am speaking of is bad: glares, stares, snarks, racial epithets...
Got ya' and I know what you are talking about.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I read a National Geographic article about Denver and its African-American community. It was from March 1979. From what I read, the Black community in Denver had a relatively high educational attainment.
I believe Seattle's and Columbus Ohio's does too. There some others too.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:13 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Since Mayors were brought up, Denver has what could be considered as a great record of electing minority candidates (Webb, Pena, etc.).

Even more impressive is where I live now (Spokane, WA), which elected a black mayor in 1981. Today, Spokane still only has a black population of 2.1%.

I think election results could be an indicator of racial attitudes of a place; our nation's president is a testament to that, when measuring the nation as a whole.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:51 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,954,889 times
Quote:
I'm mixed, I say black but I'm half black, half white. I suppose the reason why I just say I'm black is because honestly that's what people see. ..........Something I was trying to get at earlier but maybe didn't do so well at --- is that I think they might temporarily feel out of place because it's Denver, not Atlanta.
And really, I bet most kids see it just that simply. A few years ago, one of my nieces who was 13 at the time, got together with 4 or 5 of her friends to come up with Halloween costumes. They decided to go as..EACH OTHER!! It was great! They were like a United Nations panel. They put on makeup to darken or lighten their skin; wigs to turn my Irish/Mexican fair-haired niece into sporting a fro. They wore each others shoes or clothes. They made a statement without even meaning to. Just celebrating differences!

Old 07-24-2009, 07:25 PM

573 posts, read 2,506,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
And really, I bet most kids see it just that simply. A few years ago, one of my nieces who was 13 at the time, got together with 4 or 5 of her friends to come up with Halloween costumes. They decided to go as..EACH OTHER!! It was great! They were like a United Nations panel. They put on makeup to darken or lighten their skin; wigs to turn my Irish/Mexican fair-haired niece into sporting a fro. They wore each others shoes or clothes. They made a statement without even meaning to. Just celebrating differences!
Not to stray completely off topic but don't you think that could have been interpreted as offensive by someone aware of the history of blackface in our country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Denver