Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2013, 08:36 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,049 times

Advertisements

I understand your point Drew. But, the moderstor is Madison based & began to interject his/her thoughts which turned it into a contest of stats type of situation here. Nobody had mentioned Madison in this thread up to that point & I have twice questioned the moderator's motivation for getting into the thick of the Des Moines thread to interject in such a manner with with Madison stats.
But I will repeat that I do understand your point.
I did supply a lot of data here over the past couple days because I enjoy demographic data & the city-data forum is an effective outlet for those with similar interests to share & discuss said info. Plus the op's thread subject was the perfect place to do so.
Basically I also think that a lot of people are pretty much unaware as to how much the growth has taken off in the metro Des Moines area. And living in the south, I am certainly used to seeing the growth superlatives being paraded through the news & business media.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 09:02 PM

177 posts, read 458,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I'm appreciative that an outsider has now called him on this & can see through his game.
It was my pleasure. I've been meaning to question his assessment for a while now.

I definitely understand the feelings towards Atlanta. I moved here in 1995 before the Olympics when the population was only around 3.4 million, and with the crazy growth that occurred from 1996 - 2008, I feel like we are now an extension of the rust belt cities and the Northeast!!!

The numbers quoted for growth in Des Moines and Omaha don't bother me one bit! I'm looking forward to moving somewhere with more population stability and slow, steady growth.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:10 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
I don't think very many people in here are truly looking for information on a city. Instead, it tends to be populated by people who already have their respective positions set in stone and are looking for affirmation from strangers on the Internet. So many of these threads titled "I'm moving to Supertown Cityville soon...looking for info" are just strategic plants by that city's local chamber of commerce.

If you're dumb enough to believe a forum such as this will provide unbiased information that is in no way shaded or cherry-picked, you're probably not capable of safely operating a U-Haul truck.
If I was researching a move to another location, this forum would be my absolute last resort...right after the personal ads on that city's Craiglist page.
And that is exactly what you and your ilk do. Funny you should try to make out that others here are guilty of your own transgressions.

You see the problem is you make broad sweeping statements that simply aren't true.

In no way shaded. It's obvious you haven't spent much time reading older posts on this forum if that comment is made towards me. Shows your ignorance.

Just another newcomer trying to be a tough guy by downgrading a city. I'm guessing you're one of those small town teens that wanted to leave and go to DSM, but when you got here you found out all that screwing around you did in school made you unemployable in the "big city" (if DSM can be called that, which I doubt). So here you are venting all that frustration on a forum., Complaining that you are being personally attacked when you are called out for your biased, unpopular opinions.,

Poor baby.

And if you don't like it, leave. Des Moines or the forum. No sweat off my back. If you think I'll back off just because you call foul you're wrong.

Time to take a break from the bull****. Later.

Old 05-30-2013, 09:25 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
I changed my mind. RICSMLN and Funk please keep it up. I'm getting so many reps from this thread I can't believe it,

A gold mine!!

Old 05-30-2013, 09:25 PM

If only I could rec you again here & now Tek!

Old 05-30-2013, 09:27 PM

Lol!

Old 05-30-2013, 10:35 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I just found a census bureau estimate for early 2012 that gave metro Des Moines a population increase of 17,500 & Madison to that same time point an increase of 11,000.
I also found a July 2013 estimate that said that metro Des Moines was up 3.4% to 588,999. The metro Madison data is somewhat skewered for July 2013 because the bureau also then included metro Janesville/Beloit in a combined Madison MSA. It was up 15,300 for a rate of 2.53% increase. The inclusion of Rock County (J'ville/Beloit) data had pushed the total up to almost 621,000.
All of this was from the U.S. Bureau of the Census.
Well, that is quite unusual, but does not suprise me when the Census Bureau pulls the consolidated MSA trick. Janesville and Beloit ARE NOT attached to Madison so I'm not sure what their point is here. Janesville is part of its own metropolitan area according to the state and county breakdown on the site.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:40 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
NEW DATA just released from the Census Bureau regarding employment percentage growth/decline changes between 2010-2011.

Des Moines metro MSA:

Polk County: -1.9%
Dallas County: 7.8%
Warren County: 1.0%
Madison County: -0.1%
Guthrie County: -6.0%

Madison metro MSA:
Dane County: 2.2%
Columbia County: 0.6%
Iowa County: -2.0%

Old 05-30-2013, 10:54 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
Iowa county, WI. lol.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:41 AM

Yup, it's west of Madison on U.S. 151 as one heads in the direction of Dubuque & it's really pretty country. Do you know of it too?
Iowa was originally a part of Wisconsin when it was still just a territory & it was all called Wisconsin Territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines