Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2013, 03:51 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,049 times

Advertisements

One other point here Jonez.
I very early in this thread said that Des Moines is nearly back to it's 1960 population peak within it's corporate limits so that fact has not been ignored as you claimed. I brought it up myself in my initial post.
What is "impressive" is that the 2 decades-long drop in population that began in the 1960's has stopped & been turned around into a slow but steady increase. During the 1970's alone the city fell by 5% or 10,000 in population.
It's especially good news & a notable turn around in view of the fact that the city lost the chance years ago through inaction to add land on the west, northwest & north central sides that would have given Des Moines access to areas where the growth has been most concentrated in suburbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 04:11 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
It's a nationwide trend besides the sunbelt cities..the city itself stays about the same, loses people, or doesn't grow at the same proportion of the suburbs. You can read about it if you want...I don't have time to compare every city vs metro population growth statistic.

Hispanic population is the fastest growing segment in the US and have probably helped a lot of cities with their population bragging statistics.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:38 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
It's a nationwide trend besides the sunbelt cities..the city itself stays about the same, loses people, or doesn't grow at the same proportion of the suburbs. You can read about it if you want...I don't have time to compare every city vs metro population growth statistic.

Hispanic population is the fastest growing segment in the US and have probably helped a lot of cities with their population bragging statistics.
Des Moines has a high birth rate relative to other metropolitan areas so I'm not surprised. The percentage of the population under age 18 is elevated. Des Moines compares to Omaha in terms of population age structure demographics. In fact, many metropolitan areas in the Great Plains and western Midwest are similar in this regard.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:52 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,049 times
Actually the booming Hispanic population is also fueling suburban growth in many areas around the country too.
Down in my neck of the woods, the Hispanic growth is far more pronounced in suburbia than it is in the core city of the metro.
I imagine that additional new stats will eventually be available that will delineate those post-2010 changes in the suburban counties of Des Moines too.
I do however recall that the Register elaborated repeatedly on the brand new data after the 2010 census that revealed that a major portion of the growth in the State of Iowa had been fueled by the rapid rise of it's minority population numbers.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:29 AM

389 posts, read 671,078 times
Cedar Rapids and Davenport have both seen population within their borders increase since 1960:

Cedar Rapids was 92,035 in 1960. They are up to 126,528 as of 2011... for an increase of 37.5%.
Davenport was 88,981 in 1960. They are up to 101,363 as of 2012... for an increase of 13.9%.

Meanwhile, Sioux City and Waterloo have seen population decreases since 1960. So, of the five largest cities in Iowa, only two (Davenport and Cedar Rapids) have seen double-digit growth since 1960. Why aren't representatives from either one of those cities starting ridiculous threads about how their population growth has "outpaced" the rest of the state's urban areas for 50 years?

Perhaps they're not as insecure as Des Moines posters. Just a thought.

Old 06-04-2013, 01:52 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
. Why aren't representatives from either one of those cities starting ridiculous threads about how their population growth has "outpaced" the rest of the state's urban areas for 50 years?

Perhaps they're not as insecure as Des Moines posters. Just a thought.
Again, seemingling lost on you - the thread title is the title of an article in the media. This thread creates a forum to discuss it. We're now several pages deep.

Yeah....ridiculous topic to start a thread on.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:00 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,186,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Once again Des Moines, IA should be TRYING to compete with Madison, WI. It fails to do so and your article link proves the point. The growth rate in Madison, WI is double that of Des Moines, IA and job growth in Madison over time is much greater.
Madison's city limits include a large area of the metro that's building new housing. Des Moines' city limits are much more constricted. The metro area of Des Moines is growing FASTER than the metro area of Madison. Same with Lincoln, Nebraska. The city itself houses most of the metro area and grew faster than the city of Des Moines, but the Des Moines metro is growing quite a bit faster than metro Lincoln. The growth in Des Moines is just across the boundry of the actual city limits (which don't really mean much in the context of an urban environment).

Last edited by Chicago60614; 06-05-2013 at 01:13 PM..

Old 06-05-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
They simply don't like it (any viewpoint not parallel to theirs), I have said good things about it as well, which go unnoticed, but the culture is strange.

Something else that should be noted, in most larger cities you get a cross-section of replies (regarding the culture as well), since not everyone is from that state, and even those from the state are not so brainwashed either.

You never read much about the actual culture of the city when it comes to Des Moines/Madison/Omaha sized cities. Everyone is convinced it's this perfect utopia somewhere between big-city and medium-city, with all the big city offerings like an Apple store & Trader Joe's as funksoulbro said, and they've found Shangri-La.

Des Moines still probably takes it farther than those cities. It's literally so "out there" to some of the local posters to admit one other person agrees with myself, that they will accuse that person of being myself.

Happened recently with Camille as well. Not really surprised, most have a tough time accepting not everyone is wearing the rose-colored glasses.
Comes off kinda delusional. No one is saying anyting AT ALL about Des Moines being some sort of cultural or any other sort of utopia. People may like the city and boast about it, but that's a GOOD thing. If they're doing it more than you want than stop listening. You're exaggerating though when someone says they love Des Moines and it's great and you seem to get angry as if they're saying it's the best city on earth. Someone says they think Des Moines has an awesome skyline for a city of its size and can compete with other cities and you respond that everyone in Des Moines thinks their skyline is the best on earth and rivals Hong Kong. What?? No one said anything close to that.

If I look at a painting and say that I really love it becaue the color of red in it is amazing, I would expect you to say that I'm completely obsesesed with the color red and I think it's the best color on earth and nothing else will EVER compare and anyone who thinks otherwise is crazy and that I'm completely warped and delusional.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:12 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,101 times
You need to just move to Des Moines already. Youv'e been this incessant cheerleader for how amazing it is while you claim to be in Chicago for some time now. They don't believe it rivals Hong Kong or NYC...but they believe it's all that in a smaller package, making it equally impressive. Not everyone likes the groupthink mentality - someone has to point it out. It really shouldn't be a big deal if one person isn't drinking the kool-aid.

Also, according to city-data.com:

Madison city limit is 68.7 sq miles.

Des Moines city limit is 75.8 sq miles.

Des Moines city limits are obviously not much more constricted.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
The way the thread is presented makes it sound a little cocky. Come on, Des Moines growth outpaces the Midwest!? Maybe the midwest as a whole, but its still growing slower Madison, Omaha, the twin cities...This is just something small but adding that extra part makes it sound real cocky. It's as if Des Moines is the BEST, FASTEST growing Midwest metro. Even so, I'm glad that that this was posted because it's always interesting to see population statistics but it does seem cocky. It's a small annoyance and not even worth arguing. BTW that was originally intended to be a joke, not malicious.
No one is saying that metro Des Moines is the BEST AND FASTEST, but the metro area is growing about 1/3 faster than Madison, Omaha or the Twin Cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines