Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 03:28 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,790 times

Advertisements

He's using "revitalization" to ignore the population statistics.

Des Moines had several more 3-story buildings constructed than Davenport did, or something like that. I would hope so, Des Moines is more than twice the size of Davenport, it does make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 03:40 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,348,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
Still whining about the census estimates, huh? Don't blame me. Blame the federal government for publishing them. They should have realized how sensitive Des Moines people are about such things.
uh no....that was a discussion you were having with others. I've been very precise about my challenge to you.

Now about that gaffe? (do I need to cut/paste it a 3rd time? (last re-posted in #194)There is no mention of census numbers).

You made the point....it isn't in the article. Is it safe to say you no longer stand by what you said?

Old 06-11-2013, 03:47 PM

^ and I only posted this once before, so I'll give you this again so you can be sure to address completely. At the current rate, downtown Des Moines is adding 400-500 residential units per year.

Sooooo...Davenport is beating that rate?

Business Record: What s the next big thing downtown

Old 06-11-2013, 03:54 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
^ and I only posted this once before, so I'll give you this again so you can be sure to address completely. At the current rate, downtown Des Moines is adding 400-500 residential units per year.

Business Record: What s the next big thing downtown
Notice the standard reference to a coastal city, never Chicago/Minneapolis/St. Louis/Kansas City/Dallas.

Usually it's NYC, LA, or San Francisco. Now it's Seattle.

This is also the "company culture" pushed by downtown Des Moines corporations. So, when the city & company culture are two in the same, you can create a stronger cult than Branch-Davidian Waco.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:04 PM

389 posts, read 671,276 times
Quote:
According to the census, Davenport is adding residents at a faster percentage rate than Des Moines. Those are the facts. If you can present government census data for both cities' downtown areas that prove your case, then we can have a debate.

Instead, you're citing a Des Moines propaganda journal that gives the number "400-500" units built per year which:

1) Is a guess, not a solid number. Census data doesn't give ballpark ranges. They give exact numbers.
2) Units built isn't the same as residents living in them. China has built hundreds of thousands of "downtown apartments" which are sitting empty right now.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:14 PM

Quote:
According to the census, Davenport is adding residents at a faster percentage rate than Des Moines. Those are the facts. If you can present government census data for both cities' downtown areas that prove your case, then we can have a debate.

Instead, you're citing a Des Moines propaganda journal that gives the number "400-500" units built per year which:

1) Is a guess, not a solid number. Census data doesn't give ballpark ranges. They give exact numbers.
2) Units built isn't the same as residents living in them. China has built hundreds of thousands of "downtown apartments" which are sitting empty right now.
Dodge...deflect....spin...

Where do the census numbers show taht your gaffe is not in fact the gaffe it is? It isn't broken down by "urban core" (a topic you brought up, not anyone else).

I can link to articles listing all the downtown housing/loft projects that have waiting lists for residents to get in. So far you haven't given us ANYTHING to support this tremedous downtown loft growth in Davenport that DM is somehow missing (your claim, not anyone else's) .

Admit it. You don't know what is going on in downtown DM and you were caught.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:17 PM

Oh...didn't take long for me to find. Here's my further proof entering into evidence as Exhibit B:

Quote:
"Almost every place has a waiting list, and I think some of them are upwards of 12 to 18 months," said Anne Timmins with Iowa Realty.
Timmins said the demand for downtown living has skyrocketed since she started working in the market seven years ago.
"We have everything from kids right out of college, to young professionals, to young families, to empty nesters, to retirees," said Timmins.

About 4,000 units have been created downtown in the past 10 years. Today there is a 98 percent occupancy rate.
"All of our buildings are full. We have a waiting list," said Jack Hatch, a downtown developer.
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
Read more: No place to rent! Downtown occupancy hits 98 percent | Local News - KCCI Home[/LEFT][/LEFT]

OK...your turn.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
OK...your turn.
Your creepy stalker vibe is really making me fear for my safety now. Your uber-defensive posture about this whole subject makes me wonder if it is some sort of insecurity driving this thread.

BTW, who gave you my personal e-mail address?

Old 06-11-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Your creepy stalker vibe is really making me fear for my safety now. Your uber-defensive posture about this whole subject makes me wonder if it is some sort of insecurity driving this thread.

BTW, who gave you my personal e-mail address?
Nice try and another obvious avoidance strategy.

If you're losing the argument, start attacking the person you are debating. (Didn't do well in debating class, did you)?

So....can we assume you are never going to back up your statement then? I'll be happy to drop it but you've left it open so far.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
So....can we assume you are never going to back up your statement then? I'll be happy to drop it but you've left it open so far.
I've already backed up my statement. According to census estimates, Davenport (as a city) has posted a higher percentage growth than Des Moines, also a city. As a metropolitan area, Des Moines is growing much faster due to suburban population increases.

In terms of metropolitan growth concentration, Davenport has a higher ratio of its growth concentrated in the city and not in suburban sprawl. Neither Bettendorf nor Eldridge (or any other city in the QC metro) has growth rates like that of Ankeny or West Des Moines.

Simple math proves me right. The heading of this thread implies that Des Moines (a city) is outpacing other cities in the state. That is demonstrably false using census data estimates and a little common sense.

Sorry it punctures the narrative you've worked so hard to build. Like I said, blame the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines