Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2013, 07:45 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
It's not about diminishing Des Moines. It's about pointing out that misleading statements (i.e. Des Moines' population growth outpaces state) have become the M.O. for folks such as yourself. You completely ignore facts that don't paint the rosiest of pictures, and tear down other cities that might threaten your perceived superiority in Iowa.

Ronnie Jonez is absolutely right about folks such as yourself. You push this cult-like mentality about Des Moines and become immediately defensive when facts are presented that challenge what you think should be blindly accepted as conventional wisdom.

I rather get a kick out of your uber-defensive replies. Nobody is saying Des Moines isn't growing, or isn't a great place. However, there are other cities in Iowa that have similar population growth patterns, and you immediately marginalize those facts with your bluster.
This is a DSM sub-forum. The focus is supposed to be about DSM and its suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 09:02 AM

82 posts, read 162,445 times
Quote:
It's not about diminishing Des Moines. It's about pointing out that misleading statements (i.e. Des Moines' population growth outpaces state) have become the M.O. for folks such as yourself. You completely ignore facts that don't paint the rosiest of pictures, and tear down other cities that might threaten your perceived superiority in Iowa.

Ronnie Jonez is absolutely right about folks such as yourself. You push this cult-like mentality about Des Moines and become immediately defensive when facts are presented that challenge what you think should be blindly accepted as conventional wisdom.

I rather get a kick out of your uber-defensive replies. Nobody is saying Des Moines isn't growing, or isn't a great place. However, there are other cities in Iowa that have similar population growth patterns, and you immediately marginalize those facts with your bluster.
How are we being misleading?

Contact the Des Moines register as they are the ones who made the headline!

Outpacing is still probably an accurate term for the census numbers as it indicates that the estimated growth is still in the top half of the pack in terms of all Midwest cities.

Btw- what city's chamber organization do you and Ronnie work for? It has to be one that is threatened by Des Moines because there is absolutely no other reason for you to be on this forum other than to have some sort of reverse PR agenda.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:17 PM

389 posts, read 671,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
When will they ever bring anything new to the table on these threads? We're still waiting.
I did bring something new to the thread. Both the cities of Cedar Rapids and Davenport have posted significant population gains since the 1960s, whereas Des Moines remained flat over that same period. Also, those two cities have seen significant "suburban" growth (Marion for CR, Bettendorf for Dav) in more recent decades. It's not just Des Moines and its suburbs that have new residents moving in every year.

That's a very new idea to this forum. Yet, it gets dismissed out-of-hand by people here who seem threatened by the notion that the two other cities of 100,000+ in Iowa are also posting respectable growth.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:27 PM

82 posts, read 162,445 times
Quote:
I did bring something new to the thread. Both the cities of Cedar Rapids and Davenport have posted significant population gains since the 1960s, whereas Des Moines remained flat over that same period. Also, those two cities have seen significant "suburban" growth (Marion for CR, Bettendorf for Dav) in more recent decades. It's not just Des Moines and its suburbs that have new residents moving in every year.

That's a very new idea to this forum. Yet, it gets dismissed out-of-hand by people here who seem threatened by the notion that the two other cities of 100,000+ in Iowa are also posting respectable growth.
I don't think I've ever seen anyone 'dismiss' that here.

Old 06-09-2013, 08:23 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,441,265 times
Uh nobody is threatened by that...? It's just not relevant come on this is so obvious.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:22 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,049 times
It's no threat to me funk & I doubt it is to anyone else here. In fact, I wish that the second tier, third tier, fourth tier cities & small towns would all be performing better. If they, were, the state would not see a drain of all of the marbles from the smaller cities & towns on into the largest urban areas, something that you decried here early on. We agree absolutely on seeing that trend as regrettable.
Cedar Rapids easily outperformed the rest of the larger cities in the state on a per centage growth rate during the 1950's, 1960's & then again in the 1990's. Especially inthe 50's & 60's it was Iowa's only large boom town. The flood disaster of 2008 in that city impacted it severely & it's growth rate fell, as recorded by the last census.
Davenport & Bettendorf outperformed the state average in the 1950's, 1960's & performed okay in the 1970's but struggled badly in the 1980's & have had a so-so population growth in the interim.
If you are so bothered by the "threat", deceit & "cultism" that you feel is so prevalent in the Des Moines threads, you could start by taking up the original premise of the thread with the writer at the Register who penned the articele which was the basis of the op's thread.

Old 06-10-2013, 12:53 PM

219 posts, read 455,304 times
Iowa is growing, there it's done.. Can we just let this thread die now?? any growth for Iowa is a win for everyone, not just DSM, CR, or Davenport..

Old 06-11-2013, 06:22 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,097,706 times
I wouldn't consider the growth a win for everyone. Outside of Des Moines Metro Area or working at University of Iowa, there are lots of areas to move in Iowa that are more fail than win for the person making the move

Old 06-11-2013, 09:39 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,898 times
...and yet funksoulbro continues to ignore his gaffe on this thread (even though politely reminded several times...most recently post #194 to please address) and tries to continue on commenting...hoping we'll soon forget. I'll ask again.

Tell us more about the urban core revitalization taking place in downtown Davenport that is not taking place in downtown Des Moines...or is happening at a much greater rate....or whatever your claim is?

Old 06-11-2013, 02:44 PM

389 posts, read 671,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
Tell us more about the urban core revitalization taking place in downtown Davenport that is not taking place in downtown Des Moines...or is happening at a much greater rate....or whatever your claim is?
Still whining about the census estimates, huh? Don't blame me. Blame the federal government for publishing them. They should have realized how sensitive Des Moines people are about such things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines