Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines
 [Register]
Des Moines Dallas, Guthrie, Madison, Polk, and Warren Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 01:20 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
Of course you want to believe that, they don't know how amazing it is and they wish they did...or something like that.

Two points have intentionally been ignored (besides the DM vs Madison argument).

Most of the growth in Des Moines city is from the Hispanic population.

Even with the new estimates, Des Moines city was still more populous in 1960. Not really impressive.
Who cares if it's hispanic? California would have LOST people in the 2000's if it wasn't for hispanic growth. 80% of Texas' growth in the past decade was from hispanics.

Find a place in the country where a large part of the growth ISN'T from hispanics and we'll have something to talk about. There's certainly nothing at all strange that most of Des Moines' population growth is from hispanics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 01:25 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,753,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Who cares if it's hispanic? California would have LOST people in the 2000's if it wasn't for hispanic growth. 80% of Texas' growth in the past decade was from hispanics.

Find a place in the country where a large part of the growth ISN'T from hispanics and we'll have something to talk about. There's certainly nothing at all strange that most of Des Moines' population growth is from hispanics.
I don't care at all, and Iowa needs to diversify.

What I do take issue with - is the local publications constantly ignoring it and making it sound like only high-paying white collar workers are moving there, who are usually white themselves. It goes back to that superiority complex Des Moines has had since the late 80s. It's Shangri-la.

Also, the non-Hispanic population moving there is almost always from Iowa already, so it's not hard to see why there's a cult mentality when the entire state is hypnotized by the State fair in August.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:29 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,189,443 times
Quote:
You need to just move to Des Moines already. Youv'e been this incessant cheerleader for how amazing it is while you claim to be in Chicago for some time now. They don't believe it rivals Hong Kong or NYC...but they believe it's all that in a smaller package, making it equally impressive. Not everyone likes the groupthink mentality - someone has to point it out. It really shouldn't be a big deal if one person isn't drinking the kool-aid.

Also, according to city-data.com:

Madison city limit is 68.7 sq miles.

Des Moines city limit is 75.8 sq miles.

Des Moines city limits are obviously not much more constricted.
?? I just quickly looked and I've posted in the Des Moines section TWICE since last July. I've been in Chicago for 12 years but most of my family is in Iowa City and a few in Des Moines - so I'm back a few times a year hanging out.

I'm not an incessant cheerleader, I'm just rebuffing some of your overly harsh or exaggerated comments. There's a big difference.

The two times I've posted was a one sentence question asking about gays in Des Moines and another stating that I noticed the census adjusted the counties included in the Des Moines metro. I made no opinion on either.

I've input Des Moines into a few threads on the city-vs-city or general forums where I though it fit into certain criteria, but I have no plans on moving to Des Moines and I'm not out "cheerleading" for it. I like the city, but it just is what it is. It's Des Moines. For no better or worse. I'll defend it here and there if I so wish, the city has a "backwater" rep that's far harsher than reality for a vast majority of the country who blows off the heartland. Just cause you're from Iowa doesn't mean you have to sit with a corn cob up your butt and stay quiet to the rest of the world, which is how you come off on Iowans a lot of the time.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:32 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,825 times
You missed 60614's point about the Des Moines vs. Madison city limits. Madison has much more city boundary that is open to annexation & not smack up against the borders of an already existing suburb than does Des Moines. It's not exactly a square mileage issue as you made it out to be as a city can have a larger area & yet be completely surrounded by suburbs & choked off from growth so what does that get you?
Additionally, much to Madison's benefit, it's open border areas are in the proximity of where the edge of development is building out from the core of Madison. There's no comparison as regards the open border land advantage that Madison enjoys over Des Moines. But don't take my word for it, go look at a map & see for yourself.
A large area on the northside of Des Moines near the I-80 corridor that appears to be an open border ripe for annexation by Des Moines contains Saylor Township. Years ago some type of non-annexation agreement for that area was reached with Ankeny.
Also the huge tire plant on the north side did not want to be annexed when it was built by Firestone & they threatened to close it if Des Moines tried to annex the plant.
Furthermore, 60614's point about Lincoln, Ne. has been on my mind for a while too. It & Madison have almost exactly the same size in population within their incorporated limits & are about 12-15% larger than the city of Des Moines. But, once you leave the Lincoln city limits, there is absolutely nothing in the way of suburban develoment & population. With Lincoln, it's the city & that's all you get. That's why by comparison to both Des Moines & Madison, it's a small metro area.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:47 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,441,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
Cedar Rapids and Davenport have both seen population within their borders increase since 1960:

Cedar Rapids was 92,035 in 1960. They are up to 126,528 as of 2011... for an increase of 37.5%.
Davenport was 88,981 in 1960. They are up to 101,363 as of 2012... for an increase of 13.9%.

Meanwhile, Sioux City and Waterloo have seen population decreases since 1960. So, of the five largest cities in Iowa, only two (Davenport and Cedar Rapids) have seen double-digit growth since 1960. Why aren't representatives from either one of those cities starting ridiculous threads about how their population growth has "outpaced" the rest of the state's urban areas for 50 years?

Perhaps they're not as insecure as Des Moines posters. Just a thought.
  • because 1960 was a long time ago
  • because growth rates change drastically in 50 years
  • because Des Moines is currently growing marginally faster than Cedar Rapids and way faster than Davenport
  • because the Cedar Rapids Gazette and the Quad-City Times didn't publish articles about their growth rates
  • because Cedar Rapids's and Davenport's growth rates are not currently that impressive
  • obviously
  • come on

Old 06-05-2013, 02:54 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,263,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Just cause you're from Iowa doesn't mean you have to sit with a corn cob up your butt and stay quiet to the rest of the world.
You don't? Man, I wish someone had told me this sooner.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:01 PM

389 posts, read 671,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
  • because Des Moines is currently growing marginally faster than Cedar Rapids and way faster than Davenport
If you're talking city population growth, you're wrong on both counts. From the 2010 census to the 2012 estimates, Davenport has gained 1,678 residents for an increase of 1.67% -- slightly ahead of Des Moines' 1.6% growth over the same period.

Cedar Rapids gained 1,793 residents over that stretch, for an increase of 1.42% since 2010. That means Davenport actually has the highest growth rate of all three cities since the last census. Those stubborn facts, eh?

Now, if you want to talk MSAs...then you're already ceding my earlier point about suburban sprawl. Virtually all of Des Moines' growth is from suburban sprawl, and not from core urban renewal...like the kind Davenport has experienced with a large increase in downtown loft housing.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:29 PM

Des Moines should not ever be mentioned in the same sentence as Davenport/Cedar Rapids. Although smaller, it's obviously more like NYC, LA, & San Francisco according to local publications.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:38 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times
Quote:
Des Moines should not ever be mentioned in the same sentence as Davenport/Cedar Rapids. Although smaller, it's obviously more like NYC, LA, & San Francisco according to local publications.
For someone who doesn't live in Des Moines (your words), you sure spend a lot of time in the Des Moines forum begging for attention. Poor little guy.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:00 PM

It's even more Narnian than your beloved Indianapolis.

Of course, coming from a similar city that also pretends its NYC, singing to the choir in this forum must be entertaining for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Des Moines