Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 12:09 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,161,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uchi90 View Post
I can't fathom why anyone in Metro Detroit would commute to Wayne over Oakland U. Why bother with the Detroit headache and crime around campus? Oakland U is very generous with automatic merit scholarships too. Further, Oakland U has improved more than Wayne St. over the last 5 or 6 years.
Commuting to Wayne State from:
-Western Wayne County (Garden City, Dearborn Heights, et al)
-Downriver (Lincoln Park, Taylor, et al)
-the Grosse Pointes
-South Oakland County (Southfield, Ferndale, Hazel Park et al)
-Southern Macomb County (St. Clair Shores, Warren)

is less time consuming than commuting to Rochester/Auburn Hills.

Now whether OU has improved more than Wayne State, I don't know, but I hope that they both have improved nearly equally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaveStRene View Post
I would pick University of Windsor if you have to be in Detroit
Could you please elaborate? I am a big fan of Windsor. Is University of Windsor pretty reputable? Why is it better than Wayne State or Oakland?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2016, 12:48 PM

53 posts, read 65,853 times
University of Windsor
To me, it looks like a more college feel than Wayne State

http://www1.uwindsor.ca/future-students/us-students
Windsor is a lot safer than downtown Detroit, if you are looking for Safety

Tuition
U.S. students will pay a tuition fee of approximately $5500 per semester. For more details about tuition cost, please visit

http://www1.uwindsor.ca/future-stude...20ViewBook.pdf

www.uwindsor.ca/cashiers.

http://www1.uwindsor.ca/future-stude...e/campus-tours

Last edited by SaveStRene; 12-12-2016 at 01:04 PM..

Old 12-12-2016, 02:55 PM

944 posts, read 1,210,738 times
For undergrad, you're probably better off commuting to UM Dearborn of the local commuter colleges if you don't live close enough to Oakland U. Wayne and EMU both have institutional issues while Oakland and UMD have improved dramatically. That being said, all schools offer different things and I think Wayne State would be wise to focus on attracting the kinds of students from the suburbs who head off to fly by night schools in Chicago like Columbia College or Roosevelt University to be fleeced in exchange for getting to live in a big city. WSU is in the heart of the coolest part of Detroit, they could sell that way better than they do.

Quote:
How is the culture different?
For one thing, there is much less emphasis within Canada on things like university rankings. There are a few elite schools, like McGill and UT, but for the most part there is a lot less angst about which school is best, partly because Canada has a more robust community college/trade school system in place. University culture on the whole seems to be less emphasized, too... I know several people who went to McGill and Concordia, for example, and while they all have a fondness for the time they spent in school, their approach is far more transactional than the sepia tinted alumni reminisces you hear about American schools. My understanding is that the model is somewhat closer to the one used in Britain, where a university education lasts three years and is focused exclusively on a single subject, than the American liberal arts model where students are encouraged to explore and required to be proficient in several disciplines.

Old 12-13-2016, 01:15 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uchi90 View Post
I can't fathom why anyone in Metro Detroit would commute to Wayne over Oakland U. Why bother with the Detroit headache and crime around campus? Oakland U is very generous with automatic merit scholarships too. Further, Oakland U has improved more than Wayne St. over the last 5 or 6 years.
Lmao you can't be serious. Deal with the crime on campus? WSU is ranked top 50 safest college campuses in America. There is also a ton more things to do and see and going on in general in and around Wayne State.

Furthermore, if you can't fathom why most people in Metro Detroit would commute to WSU over OU then you should pull out a map. Most people who live Downriver or in the west suburbs couldn't fathom going on a mini road trip all the way up to a land far far away on a daily basis just to go to class. Hell, even the north burbs south of I-696 is closer to WSU.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:07 AM

Columbia college is a rip off imo, I am from Chicago, I think their students have the most debt.
I went to University of Illinois at Chicago and it was in a rough area, but I would rather attend UIC than Columbia and Roosevelt

WSU is a commuter school like UIC

Old 12-13-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Columbia college is a rip off imo, I am from Chicago, I think their students have the most debt.
I went to University of Illinois at Chicago and it was in a rough area, but I would rather attend UIC than Columbia and Roosevelt

WSU is a commuter school like UIC
Columbia is a semi-legit school for those in the arts, however it is incredibly expensive for out of state students and they do (or at least did in my day) a lot of outreach in Detroit's upper middle class suburbs. Almost everyone I know who went there transferred out after a period. WSU could, with better outreach, probably convince a lot of those kids to live on campus in midtown Detroit for a similar feel.

UIC probably currently has a better reputation than WSU, however WSU was a lot like UIC in it's better days. It could be again. There's a big emphasis in higher ed right now on attracting residential students, something every commuter campus is focused on, but I think it would be especially vital for Wayne State because it offers a unique residential experience among Michigan's public universities.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
Columbia is a semi-legit school for those in the arts, however it is incredibly expensive for out of state students and they do (or at least did in my day) a lot of outreach in Detroit's upper middle class suburbs. Almost everyone I know who went there transferred out after a period. WSU could, with better outreach, probably convince a lot of those kids to live on campus in midtown Detroit for a similar feel.

UIC probably currently has a better reputation than WSU, however WSU was a lot like UIC in it's better days. It could be again. There's a big emphasis in higher ed right now on attracting residential students, something every commuter campus is focused on, but I think it would be especially vital for Wayne State because it offers a unique residential experience among Michigan's public universities.

Colombia is expensive for Illinois residents too LOL
UIC and WSU are in urban areas, UIC's is located on the West Side of Chicago near Jew Town, but little by little its being gentrified
Now in Illinois because of the Governor not passing a budget, a lot of state schools are cash strapped so maybe going to school in Michigan may be enticing to Illinois residents. I see that WSU offers discounts to students who live near the great lakes, that is wonderful!

Old 12-13-2016, 07:51 AM

the problem in Illinois has long been the lack of a second major research university beyond UI, so Michigan schools have long swept up a lot of kids from the Chicago area (as have schools in Wisconsin and Indiana). The state has focused on trying to turn one of UIC or Illinois State into a secondary flagship, but I don't know what has come of those efforts.

Old 12-13-2016, 08:09 AM

My dad's neighbor's kid attends Western Michigan, there is another girl, who played softball in my neighborhood league is playing softball for University of Michigan. I wouldn't mind if my kids went to school in Michigan

Old 12-13-2016, 11:03 AM

2,210 posts, read 3,496,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Way back when I was college-shopping for my Master's, WSU left an impression of being a good school with absolutely terrifying bureaucracy.

I ended up doing most of it at UofM. Half of my teachers couldn't speak English, and many of the American teachers couldn't speak, period. I think it has a lot to do with emphasis on research grants.
100% accurate. Dealing with WSU's bureaucracy as a student was like being trapped in a Kafka novel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit