Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 09:56 AM

98 posts, read 481,332 times

Advertisements

I reconized those nieghborhoods on Van Dyke, I have lived on Brentwood and Iowa. It looks so much worse when you are driving through...my god, It resembles a third world country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 08:39 AM

2 posts, read 6,977 times
Default kiddin yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigU View Post
It is positive attitudes like yours that will truly make a change. There are negatives with every city in the world. Miami Beach used to be more or less a slum 15 years ago and now you can't touch any house for less than $750k; apartments start at $150k for a studio apartment which could be 500 s.f.

I was almost scared away from my decision to move my family and business, to the Detroit area, based upon posts on some of these boards and opinions from my family in the suburbs. I decided to see for myself and must say I am impressed by East English Village and several other neighborhoods in Detroit proper. So much so, we have offers out on two homes already. I just need to find a third...

My bet is Detroit is at the very beginning of what will be an astounding rebound!
yea, right, East English village is nice, taxes are higher than Grosse Pointe and I am not sure what you get from paying them, except higher car insurance....

Positive thinking is not going to turn this city around it will take a lot more than that...like the citizens getting off their ass and doing something...look the mayor lies and steals from them and they still support him, he still runs the city...deal with this and you might see a turn around, positive thinking...well i am glad you have your rose colored glasses otherwise detroit you might see what I see and get depressed or want to get the hell out!

Old 06-04-2008, 02:16 PM

12 posts, read 45,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ushpa View Post
well i am glad you have your rose colored glasses otherwise detroit you might see what I see and get depressed or want to get the hell out!
Everything is about perspective and outlook. Your perspective is that I'm looking through rose colored glasses but I disagree.

I've looked at the area & the challenges and believe it can be better through the efforts of individuals. As I've stated before, I believe one should NEVER rely on government or others for solutions. Positive change happens through the collective efforts of individuals who are optimistic and determined. We have zero manufacturing and had an economy based solely on tourism. Since 9/11, we have been creating more and more service sector jobs so our unemployment is low compared to Detroit but it is because people change wth the times.

I do agree that taxes are high in Detroit but I pay more in Miami. I also pay about 7 times more for homeowners insurance with a deductible that is 20 times higher than it will be in Detroit. Our local government is full of crooks and ther friends who benefit. Sounds familiar, huh?

Miami has things that bother me so I'm making changes which includes buying a house in Detroit. I've met several of my new Detroit neighbors who are engaged in their community and are making efforts to maintain the neighborhood. I believe their efforts will make a difference.

Last edited by CraigU; 06-04-2008 at 02:25 PM..

Old 06-04-2008, 02:32 PM

282 posts, read 815,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigU View Post
Everything is about perspective and outlook. Your perspective is that I'm looking through rose colored glasses but I disagree.

I've looked at the area & the challenges and believe it can be better through the efforts of individuals. As I've stated before, I believe one should NEVER rely on government or others for solutions. Positive change happens through the collective efforts of individuals who are optimistic and determined.

I do agree that taxes are high in Detroit but I pay more in Miami. I also pay about 7 times more for homeowners insurance with a deductible that is 20 times higher than it will be in Detroit. Our local government is full of crooks and ther friends who benefit. Sounds familiar, huh?

Miami has things that bother me so I'm making changes which includes buying a house in Detroit. I've met several of my new Detroit neighbors who are engaged in their community and are making efforts to maintain the neighborhood. I believe their efforts will make a difference.
Detroiters, individually or collectively, don't have the will or determination to turn the city around. If they did, Kwame, (most of)the City Council, Chief Ella, and the Detroit Public School officials would be long gone, for a start, and to show the rest of the state, and the country, that they mean business.

Last edited by Maxine3; 06-04-2008 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: Adding

Old 06-04-2008, 02:57 PM

12 posts, read 45,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxine3 View Post
Detroiters, individually or collectively, don't have the will or determination to turn the city around. If they did, Kwame, (most of)the City Council, Chief Ella, and the Detroit Public School officials would be long gone, for a start, and to show the rest of the state, and the country, that they mean business.
On the surface, I see what you mean. Having said that, I couldn't believe our current President was re-elected but I think people (those that voted for him) think differently now. I hope the people of Detroit will have the sense to get rid of the mistakes they've made in the next election.

I'm looking forward to "Change that I can believe in".

Old 06-04-2008, 09:18 PM

5 posts, read 17,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
They have torn down a lot, but there are still many that need to go. Downtown, midtown, and corktown are nice because people are choosing to move their, artists and pioneer types, but the neighborhoods surrounding downtown are very bad. Many people do care, but others have given up, or they are afraid. It's frustrating because there is the idea that the whole city is bad when there is very little crime downtown and it's a nice place to to reataurants, theatres and music venues.

The mayor is a nightmare. The city needs good leadership that will support the people who want to make Detroit a great city again.

I agree that the downtown area is a lot more nice. Greektown is still wonderful to visit and the new Comerica Park (which i haven't been to yet) looks amazing. But even downtown its hard to go out and eat, or walk the streets at night without looking over your shoulder. The city defintiely needs new leadership... I don't know what the people were thinking voting for that man. I really hope Detroit can turn around , I'd love to go back eventually

Old 06-06-2008, 12:57 PM

6 posts, read 46,923 times
I love detroit, and I've worked downtown off & on for almost 40 years now. I've never had a problem, and I've bussed some of those years, including NOW. For instance, as Rufus Thomas said, "The biggest lie ever told is that black and white people don't get along." It's fun on the buses, we laugh every day. I live slightly outside of Detroit but I plan to move to Corktown before Autumn. I LOVE DETROIT

Old 06-08-2008, 07:44 PM

41 posts, read 118,488 times
HERE WE GO AGAIN!! How can you say all these things about Detroit, when over 1.5 million mostly White people were in Detroit for the Red Wings Parade and Celebration!! SW Detroit has all races living there. NW Detroit has all races living there. There are more Arabs, Hispanics, Asians, Whites and Indians living in Detroit then you want to admit. This Fall, the 3rd quarter statistics regarding the fall out from the lost of jobs, downsizing, lower wage scales, and forced retirements will be revealed. Many people will be moving into Detroit! They won't be able to afford the homes in the suburbs that are now to "Costly". Most of the homes are overpriced, and many home buyers Owe more than they can Sell the houses for. Remember, this country is controlled by "think tanks". Individuals with IQ's over 140. They plan economic, job, banking, mortgage, stock market ups and downs and the effects it will have on our economy. Foreign trade and the global economy that exists now was not by accident. This was a planned maneuver to bring the "living wage" in line with the foreign wage scale. $10.00 - $14.00 is our new wage scale. You can't afford homes over $60,000.00 with this income scale. Many changes are yet to come in Michigan and within this country. This recession is predicted to last 7 more years!! In the near future, Detroit's Housing market is going to look very inviting and affordable to many people of all races, and colors. Gone are the days when middle class people could afford a house note of over 1,200.00 a month. Only college graduates, Police Officers, Federal Workers, Social Workers, Teachers, Professors, Healthcare workers with certification (to name a few) will be able to afford this monthly house payment. Ask the salaried, and hourly workers who pay union dues....they know. Yes, Detroit will have a new mayor soon!! Yes, changes are taking place in City Counsel, Yes, Foreclosures are increasing in every Michigan city. I hate to be the "voice of Doom" but, we haven't scratched the surface of what is to come in our housing market!!

Old 06-09-2008, 02:40 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,959,574 times
C'mon be for real. 1.5 million mostly white Americans would go anywhere for their mostly all white sport-hockey. That is not even a good argument.

Sorry, but I didn't even read the rest, I stopped there.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:08 PM

8,432 posts, read 7,446,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
C'mon be for real. 1.5 million mostly white Americans would go anywhere for their mostly all white sport-hockey. That is not even a good argument.

Sorry, but I didn't even read the rest, I stopped there.
Now to be fair, it was more like 1.2 million mostly white Americans going anywhere for their mostly all white sport-hockey.

That's about the same number of mostly white Americans going anywhere for their mostly all black sport-basketball, like in 2004, when the Pistons won a championship and their victory parade was along the same route as the 2008 Red Wings victory parade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit