Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 10:42 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieMirsade View Post
All points taken.
But I don't think we're talking just about culture here. When I hear the word culture used in this context, I get the creeps, especially as the dominant "White Culture" in North America and the UK has been experiencing a very steep downward slide.

It's not like we have a lotta role models to look up to for inspiration and guidance. We also have a decadent, corrupt White elite, that "gets away with murder" and impunity.
To me Detroit is more about $$$ and class.

I simply wanted to say that IF the 76% Blacks had what it takes to resuscitate the city, hypothetically they could do it.
They wouldn't need any "intervention".
There would be no need for "ethnic/class engineering".
Yup and they don't have what it takes so unless different views come to the fore more of the same will occur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 01:39 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
You do know illegals aren't counted in the census, correct?
They most certainly are counted.

The census is mailed to every address and those who don't return the census get a visit. There is nothing at all stopping the census from being mailed to a residence inhabited by illegals. And why do you think they hire so many Spanish speaking census workers?

Old 12-03-2011, 01:54 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Detroit isn't even the worst city in Michigan, let alone the entire planet.
I don't know about Michigan but there is absolutely no way Detroit compares with the most violent city in the world. Last year that was Ciudad Juarez with almost 4000 murders in one year, Detroit isn't anywhere close to that. Even this year Juarez is getting close to 2000 murders and other cities along the border have found large burial pits of 80 plus people in them, there is NOTHING like that going on in Detroit.

There are cities you would not step foot in if you have half a brain, but people drive through Detroit all the time, I just did.

One can do a google-earth check on various places, the worst streets in Detroit don't look nearly as bad as some of the bad streets of other cities throughout the world. In fact even the worst streets with burned out homes have nice green landscapes and seem more quiet than anything.

Old 12-03-2011, 05:27 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't know about Michigan but there is absolutely no way Detroit compares with the most violent city in the world. Last year that was Ciudad Juarez with almost 4000 murders in one year, Detroit isn't anywhere close to that. Even this year Juarez is getting close to 2000 murders and other cities along the border have found large burial pits of 80 plus people in them, there is NOTHING like that going on in Detroit.

There are cities you would not step foot in if you have half a brain, but people drive through Detroit all the time, I just did.

One can do a google-earth check on various places, the worst streets in Detroit don't look nearly as bad as some of the bad streets of other cities throughout the world. In fact even the worst streets with burned out homes have nice green landscapes and seem more quiet than anything.
Question:

Why are we comparing Detroit to 2nd and 3rd world cities?

Old 12-03-2011, 10:34 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,889,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
They most certainly are counted.

The census is mailed to every address and those who don't return the census get a visit. There is nothing at all stopping the census from being mailed to a residence inhabited by illegals. And why do you think they hire so many Spanish speaking census workers?
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:16 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,602,317 times
Quote:
Question:

Why are we comparing Detroit to 2nd and 3rd world cities?
Because 2nd and 3rd world cites still count as being part of the world? Doesn't make sense to say Detroit is the worst city in the world and then have a disclaimer next to it.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:27 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,744,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Because 2nd and 3rd world cites still count as being part of the world? Doesn't make sense to say Detroit is the worst city in the world and then have a disclaimer next to it.
Given the context of the OP, I think the OP meant first world.

We know that many 2nd and 3rd world major cities are worse than Detroit by default, no sense in wasting time debating whether or not they are. They're in completely different societies (developed, developing and undeveloped).

But the fact of the matter is Detroit is the worst major city in the first world statistically, which is not up for debate if you're appreciate the facts and don't have an agenda. By first world standards Detroiters quite frankly have an awful quality of life. Just name the statistic of your choice (there's a smorgasboard)...

Last edited by 313Weather; 12-03-2011 at 11:35 PM..

Old 12-04-2011, 12:05 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,602,317 times
Quote:

We know that many 2nd and 3rd world major cities are worse than Detroit by default, no sense in wasting time debating whether or not they are. They're in completely different societies (developed, developing and undeveloped).

But the fact of the matter is Detroit is the worst major city in the first world statistically, which is not up for debate if you're appreciate the facts and don't have an agenda. By first world standards Detroiters quite frankly have an awful quality of life. Just name the statistic of your choice (there's a smorgasboard)...
I'm not sure when you see that context. He only mentions US cities. That seems to be extrapolating a lot from a vague post.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:41 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,591,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughLuv View Post
Not to sound racist, even though im Black, Too many Blacks in the city, that's never successful. Just check the stats and look around.
That's a historical untruth. Black communities have been successful all over the country. When you get to the root of the problem it's not that there's a bunch of black people, but that the failed places are dominated by poverty, a lack of education, and a lack of a legal economy. Now due to historical conditions it just happens to affect the black community more prevalently, but it would a similar situation if Detroit had "too many whites" who were poor and lacked jobs and education.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:43 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,591,829 times
Quote:

A recent study ranked Saginaw as the most dangerous city in the US, surely that's got to count when considering how bad a city is. It may not have quite the decay Detroit has, but it certainly has the crime and poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit