U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-27-2011, 07:14 PM
 
7,237 posts, read 11,236,647 times
Reputation: 5588

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city animal View Post
People may work in San Jose, but there's nothing to do in this boring city. They have SF to go for fun. It's one hour from San Jose. If I were them, I'd bag it and get a job in Washington DC or Seattle unless they can get a job in SF.
Well the fact of the matter is San Jose's growing and Detroit's shrinking.

So they're obviously doing something right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-27-2011, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Downtown Detroit
1,497 posts, read 3,148,759 times
Reputation: 919
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Well the fact of the matter is San Jose's growing and Detroit's shrinking.

So they're obviously doing something right.
People seem to equate population growth with high quality of life, but is there really such a good correlation? The subnbelt has had explosive population growth, but are those cities really nicer places to live? If so, what is so extraordinary about them? They are generally newer and have warmer climates, true. Taxes may or may not be lower. Average wages may or may not be higher. Amenities are probably not better. I really do not see their supreme advantage. I know San Jose is not a true "subnbelt" city, but it is similar in many ways. Yet, I'd take most midwest cities over over San Jose any day of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2011, 03:21 AM
 
Location: West Michigan
3,095 posts, read 5,631,217 times
Reputation: 4404
Quote:
But would you say it's the worst major city in the first world (statistically)?
Well, with those qualifications... it is hard to argue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2011, 07:48 AM
 
7,237 posts, read 11,236,647 times
Reputation: 5588
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Well, with those qualifications... it is hard to argue.
And that was the point, since the OP was only asking that question in comparison to other major cities in America (the first world?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2011, 01:34 PM
 
1,332 posts, read 2,105,781 times
Reputation: 1138
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
People seem to equate population growth with high quality of life, but is there really such a good correlation? The subnbelt has had explosive population growth, but are those cities really nicer places to live? If so, what is so extraordinary about them? They are generally newer and have warmer climates, true. Taxes may or may not be lower. Average wages may or may not be higher. Amenities are probably not better. I really do not see their supreme advantage. I know San Jose is not a true "subnbelt" city, but it is similar in many ways. Yet, I'd take most midwest cities over over San Jose any day of the week.
ForStarters, San Jose is better than Detroit in almost every conceivable way right now. It may not have been that way 50-60 years ago, but those days are long behind us. For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not here to suggest that San Jose will not face its own serious troubles with decline and crime at some point in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2011, 03:24 PM
 
7,237 posts, read 11,236,647 times
Reputation: 5588
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post
For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not here to suggest that San Jose will not face its own serious troubles with decline and crime at some point in the future.
Perhaps, but it will never have to deal with the decline and crime that Detroit does, and likely any rust belt city.

They have completely different dynamics at work, economically, socially and especially politically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2011, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Here.
14,565 posts, read 13,308,979 times
Reputation: 17046
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForStarters View Post
... I'd take most midwest cities over over San Jose any day of the week.
It's not all about YOOOUUUUU! C'mon, you have to admit you are not "normal". When we are discussing major cities and major migration patterns, we need to step back and look at the "normal" people, not just our own peculiar preferences. And most "normal" people want to live out in the suburbs in a newer big house with a three car garage, near a big mall, with easy freeway access, preferably in a warm climate, etc. Sure some people like Alaska, but can they really be surprised that most people don't want to spend the winter in continuous frigid darkness in the middle of nowhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2011, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Detroit
3,671 posts, read 4,809,906 times
Reputation: 2624
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Well the fact of the matter is San Jose's growing and Detroit's shrinking.

So they're obviously doing something right.
yea like being anywhere near Mexico. It gives just about every city a pretty good advantage. Cali and Texas are immigrant meccas. Half of those cities down there wouldn't be growing as fast as it is now if it were not that close to the Mexican border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2011, 09:25 PM
 
7,237 posts, read 11,236,647 times
Reputation: 5588
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinStrong313 View Post
yea like being anywhere near Mexico. It gives just about every city a pretty good advantage. Cali and Texas are immigrant meccas. Half of those cities down there wouldn't be growing as fast as it is now if it were not that close to the Mexican border.
You do know illegals aren't counted in the census, correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-28-2011, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Afghanistan
152 posts, read 457,153 times
Reputation: 195
Worst city in the world? Please come visit me; I'll set you up in our gated community and we will drive the neighborhood just outside the gate - that will give anyone a perspective on how great Detroit is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top