Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 02:33 PM

48,544 posts, read 34,904,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Mikala, I am so sorry. My blood sugar was a little bit elevated last time and I was depressed about it too.

My doctor said to cut down on carbs. So what does that leave me since I don't eat much in the way of sweets anyway?

I guess it leaves meat, eggs, nuts. The fruit smoothies I was making probably weren't that good for me because of the sugar in the fruit. But apparently if you eat a protein along with the sugar, it helps. I keep eating bread though and am finding that hard to cut down on.
Right? And if I eat only meat, eggs and nuts, my RA will flare up. Unless it is coincidental, my current diet is working very well at minimizing my RA, doc says it is inactive. I eat less than 25 grams of sugar a day.

Some veggies you can add to smoothies that won't much up the flavor too much: zuchinni, spinach and other greens, avocado (yeah not a veggie...), cucumber (oops), celery. I would also powder up almonds and oats. If it's true about the protein, I will make sure and add protein powder. I also add hemp seeds, flax and chia seeds. It all helps dilute the fruit and thus the sugar.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 02:41 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,777,137 times
Virgin Coconut Oil Effective in Treating Diabetes

Just listening to Awakening From Alz and hearing Dr. Mary Newport, she's so convincing and had mentioned along the talk that Alz is diabetes of the brain.

2T daily is the suggested daily use.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Virgin Coconut Oil Effective in Treating Diabetes

Just listening to Awakening From Alz and hearing Dr. Mary Newport, she's so convincing and had mentioned along the talk that Alz is diabetes of the brain.

2T daily is the suggested daily use.

I appreciate the thought, but logically.... you consume a lot of coconut oil and your labs are right by mine. Sure, perhaps you would have full blown diabetes if you stopped taking it, but I have doubts.

I consume coconut oil like I do other oils, in moderation and primarily for cooking. When I make things like oat cakes, I use coconut oil because the flavor makes sense for the dish.

I mix oils depending on what I am cooking, olive oil, coconut, sesame, avocado, grape seed, walnut, etc.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:37 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,485,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Mainly veggies, things like home made oat cakes (who grains, little sugar), lean protein (eggs, chicken breasts, tofu), legumes, salads, etc. I probably eat 20 different fruits and veggies a day (not much on the fruits). No soda, no fruit juices. Whole grains, like quinoa, farro, spelt. Treats are dark chocolate (80%). Not much processed foods, not much snack foods (my snacks are pickles, hearts of palm, etc.). Heavy use of spices, fresh herbs, and hot sauces. Light on dairy, no packaged cereals....
Before getting into specifics about your diet, I would also recommend you get a meter. It is not as bad as you think. The meter will tell you on a regular basis how you are doing. If your A1C is at 5.9, that is an average which means that half the time you are higher than that. That is too high. You should bring it under control. From the sounds of it you are unable to process any significant amount of carbohydrates.

The things I see in your list that could affect your numbers are grains. Fat has no affect on blood sugar. Some fruits and veggies need to be avoided. The beans can be a problem but it depends on the person. They are low GI as are many vegetables. Beans do not affect me very much.

There are diabetics that control their condition with diet alone. In order to do that you have to be strict to the point where you consume a low quantity of carbohydrates. I will not give you a specific number but as an example some limit it to 20 grams per meal. That decision is yours and you need to base it on how you respond to certain foods. Since you are not on medication, you have to start eating like this to get your numbers down. You could go to the doctor and ask for medication but I get the feeling you want to avoid that. Berberine was mentioned. It is a supplement that is as effective as Metformin. Metformin is used to treat insulin resistance. You mention that you are also of normal weight so that kind of complicated things. Insulin resistance is common in overweight diabetics. Belly fat is a common indicator of someone with IR.

If you get a meter, test in the morning when you wake up and test at 1hr and/or 2hrs after a meal to see how you are responding to carbs. This will give you a better idea of what it is that is happening. The idea is to remain at 140 or below at all times. From experience I can tell you that you have to take it upon yourself to do this. What the doctor's do for you is from the outside looking in so to speak. They are great at prescribing pills but the day to day stuff you have to do yourself. If you see an Endo that is different. Some are better than others.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:41 PM

I have looked at meters on line so I can track what is going on when. This seems like the most viable option for me to gain control, if that is possible.

But again, I have done keto (twice) and was practically unable to walk due to RA flare ups, it's just unhealthy for me.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:00 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,777,137 times
Quote:
I appreciate the thought, but logically.... you consume a lot of coconut oil and your labs are right by mine. Sure, perhaps you would have full blown diabetes if you stopped taking it, but I have doubts.

I consume coconut oil like I do other oils, in moderation and primarily for cooking. When I make things like oat cakes, I use coconut oil because the flavor makes sense for the dish.

I mix oils depending on what I am cooking, olive oil, coconut, sesame, avocado, grape seed, walnut, etc.
So 2T daily is a LOT? Thanks.

I get all labs non-fasting, so it's logical my labs would be variable, higher or lower as there is food in my system when I get labs done historically. The non fasting status would make a difference.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:06 PM

9,872 posts, read 7,750,913 times
So sorry to hear this Mikala! Shoot. Are you on other meds that may have led to this? I was just reading how statins may lead to diabetes in some people.

I just looked up oatmeal cakes from one of your other posts, I love oatmeal (but not cooked like breakfast cereal), but too many carbs for me, even though they sound delicious.

Best of luck.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
So 2T daily is a LOT? Thanks.

I get all labs non-fasting, so it's logical my labs would be variable, higher or lower as there is food in my system when I get labs done historically. The non fasting status would make a difference.
Mine are non fasting.

From what I have read, a1c doesn't matter if it is fasting or non, but the blood work does. All my tests are done non fasting.

You may do fine on 2 tbsp of oil, I'll save mine for when I cook.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
So sorry to hear this Mikala! Shoot. Are you on other meds that may have led to this? I was just reading how statins may lead to diabetes in some people.

I just looked up oatmeal cakes from one of your other posts, I love oatmeal (but not cooked like breakfast cereal), but too many carbs for me, even though they sound delicious.

Best of luck.

I take quinaprel, enbrel, levoxithyrine (sp), so none of them should.

Heck, even my oatcakes are healthy, flax, hemp, whole wheat flour (a little) and sugar free sweetener, nuts...

blech... it just sucks.

Today will be my whiny day and then I'll crack down and see what I can do to stop this.

Old 09-25-2017, 04:31 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,318,399 times
Quote:
Mainly veggies, things like home made oat cakes (who grains, little sugar), lean protein (eggs, chicken breasts, tofu), legumes, salads, etc. I probably eat 20 different fruits and veggies a day (not much on the fruits). No soda, no fruit juices. Whole grains, like quinoa, farro, spelt. Treats are dark chocolate (80%). Not much processed foods, not much snack foods (my snacks are pickles, hearts of palm, etc.). Heavy use of spices, fresh herbs, and hot sauces. Light on dairy, no packaged cereals....
Looks like a lot of carbs. Have you spoken with a nutritionist or dietician? I did when I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic, and she recommended that I keep my carb count to around 45 grams per meal. (She also recommended the usual stuff about whole grains, more fiber, more fruits and veggies, etc.). Your mileage may vary, but a professional can help set up a personalized regimen for you.

I've mostly followed through with dietary recs, but I don't exercise like I should. But still, my numbers have remained level or have fallen, so if I can just get myself to the gym, I could bring the numbers down even further....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes