Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 09:29 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
From your smoothie, I would leave out the pineapple. Don't get me wrong, I love it but it is loaded with sugar. It used to be one of my favorites as far as fruit goes. Whole milk yogurt contains some lactose but the fat should counter a spike somewhat. Also, the cherry juice even though it is tart does contain sugar. Check the label for sugar and carb content. I drink 100% cranberry juice in limited quantities and even though it is super tart (I sweeten with Stevia) it does contain a good amount of carbs and sugar.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits

Oh yeah, I could cut the sugar.... but my point is.... it didn't mess with my glucose at all.

If I was getting pre-diabetic numbers, how can eating a days worth of sugar for lunch NOT raise your glucose?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2017, 09:39 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Oh yeah, I could cut the sugar.... but my point is.... it didn't mess with my glucose at all.

If I was getting pre-diabetic numbers, how can eating a days worth of sugar for lunch NOT raise your glucose?
The 116 is a bit high especially after two hours since the smoothie is liquid and will make you spike real quick. Next time you have a smoothie try testing just one hour after. Like I said, the fat in the yogurt may counteract the spike a bit. You should be back at or around 100 after two hours which would be normal. The oats affect people differently but they are complex and should not make you spike too much. They are probably similar to beans in that they take a while to break down. The whites (flour and sugar) are the worst offenders.

Old 10-31-2017, 10:03 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Will do!!

I'm wondering if my A1c numbers were in the pre-diabetic range before because I was eating very low fat with my complex carbs?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-01-2017, 11:03 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
Firstly, I didn't read all the pages in between the 1st & last ones, so please excuse if you said anything I'm about to ask.

My last blood test showed an AC1 of 6.1 a few mos ago. I haven't bought a blood sugar testing kit even though I was diagnosed a 2 yrs ago. Here's a good, informative, supportive discussion board you may want to join:

https://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum/

I'm on there & there's a pre-d section.

If one eats quite healthy, exercises & isn't overweight, is there a history of it in your family? Sorry if you said so or not. That's harder because now you're wondering, "well, what the heck can I eat then?!"

Old 11-02-2017, 09:02 AM

924 posts, read 1,676,004 times
Over the last three years my A1c has gone from 5.1 to 5.3 to 5.7 to 5.7. Fasting glucose showed a similar rise from 81 to 83 to 96 and 96. Suffice to say the doctor has been on my case and had been trying to make changes between the last two readings, which were 6 months apart rather than a year due to increasing concern. I have no history of diabetes in the family, but there is a strong history of autoimmune disorders. The doctor thought this might have something to do with it.

Yesterday I got my blood work back and A1C was 5.1, blood glucose was 86. So relieved it's going down! Also, my thyroid seems to be stabilizing.

This is what I've done differently in the last 6 months:

Been vigilant about taking selenium with my thyroid medication
increased my Vitamin D intake to 4000 iu/day
added Vitamin K2 (100 mcg)
Omega 3 supplement twice a week
Vitamin B-12, sublingual, a few times per week
Magnesium, when i can remember or having trouble sleeping

Avoided wheat products. They give me painful heartburn too, so this was kind of easy.
Avoided "gluten-free" substitutes for wheat products (too much sugar)
Avoided fried potatoes, but still enjoyed small portions of steamed and baked
Made myself eat my vegetables before I ate anything else, including meat
Avoided, but did not eliminate fruit (maybe a couple a week)
Bought only whole-milk products (half n half, yogurt etc)
Favorite snacks: V-8 juice, mixed nuts, guacamole by the spoonful (and before you say "gross" consider that some people eat frosting from a can!)
No eating after 7:00 pm
Drank tons and tons of water
No soda, no diet tea, reduced amount of artificial sweetener in coffee - aiming to switch to one teaspoon of real sugar in my coffee
Treated myself to eggs and butter from free range animals - slightly more expensive, but delicious and higher in vitamins (and nicer to animals)

Added vigorous exercise. I was exercising on my own, but we joined a cheap gym and got a good trainer and wow, do they kick your butt and push you! It's only been the last three months but I think this was really helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes