Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 12:43 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times

Advertisements

My A1c had come back at 5.9 for 3 doctor visits in a row and as I understand it that is pre diabetic. I get quarterly testing for a bunch of things, and always get a personal copy of results, and for the first time my blood sugar came back at 146.

This is hitting me really hard as I have spent a lot of time and effort getting other chronic conditions under control so it does not impact my daily living.

I feel like diabetes is inevitable because I eat very healthy and I am not over weight (5'5 and 130), and exercise strenuously 5 days a week. I can tweak my diet a bit, but there is not much wiggle room.

I have literally been breaking down in tears at the thought of having something else to manage.

I'm not sure what else to do besides sit and watch the numbers go up.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 01:05 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Diabetes is complicated.

There are things that we cannot control but what we can control is diet.

You say you eat healthy. Could you describe healthy? The reason I ask is that what is considered healthy by the establishment may not be healthy for diabetics.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Diabetes is complicated.

There are things that we cannot control but what we can control is diet.

You say you eat healthy. Could you describe healthy?

Mainly veggies, things like home made oat cakes (who grains, little sugar), lean protein (eggs, chicken breasts, tofu), legumes, salads, etc. I probably eat 20 different fruits and veggies a day (not much on the fruits). No soda, no fruit juices. Whole grains, like quinoa, farro, spelt. Treats are dark chocolate (80%). Not much processed foods, not much snack foods (my snacks are pickles, hearts of palm, etc.). Heavy use of spices, fresh herbs, and hot sauces. Light on dairy, no packaged cereals....

Old 09-25-2017, 01:18 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,975,722 times
Welcome to my world. I weighed 124 pounds when I was diagnosed with type 2, very active with a diet consisting mostly of vegetables, fruits, and grains, but boom, there it was, diabetes just like my grandmother, mother, brothers, sister, aunt, and cousins.

I tweaked my diet to keep my blood sugar at good levels, and for the most part all that took for me was ditching oatmeal, bananas, and apples, which I had been eating every day, and switching to a low-carb alternative to bread. Piece of cake.

Try not to be discouraged, you can still live a long and healthy life if you control it well, and I'm sure you will.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:21 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
https://www.cornerstones4care.com/ab...diagnosis.html

https://www.cornerstones4care.com/

Old 09-25-2017, 01:45 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,222,031 times
Mikala, also ask your Doctor or the Dietician in your local hospital for a free book from norvo/nordisk called
Carb Counting and Meal Planning. You can also find it on iBooks *I think*.
It is a good resource and small enough to carry with you if need be.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:45 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Berberine is used by many who "think" they are pre diabetic. And those who are diabetic. My Nov 2016 BS was 109 and A1c 5.8 and I'm NOT exercising the way I did for years, body can't do it anymore. I said I've cut out breads and grains for that matter. Eliminate cookies, cakes etc...I don't what that diabetes dx. Eat low glycemic fruits...and sparingly. I can eliminate a lot of foods that are not good for me...what's left of my life I don't want to be sick.

Grape Seed Ex is reported to reduce effects of diabetes.

I do all my blood work non-fasting so I can expect my numbers to be a little elevated, I would think.

https://www.iherb.com/pr/Natural-Fac...gie-Caps/65987

Old 09-25-2017, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the input and links.

Honestly, the more I read the more depressed I get (it will pass).

Heck, the recommended diets I see are much less healthy then what I eat. The majority of my diet falls within the "low" glycemic foods.

The worst I have done is allowed my self to have some potato a couple times. Once the 10 lbs came off (from Lyrica) I allowed a little more flexibility in my diet. Like having potato or white rice a few times (over a few months). Whoo hoo!! Party.

I can: completely eliminate potatoes, white rice, flour tortillas (don't eat a lot of them), I usually eat sprouted grain bread, but can remove that (don't eat that often either, it's like Ezekiel which is listed as low glycemic), I'll eat some of the grapes when I buy them for kidlet..... Then I am basically out of things to remove. I did start eating yogurt with sugar, but eat only like a quarter container a day.

That's why I feel it's inevitable.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:25 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
Mikala, I am so sorry. My blood sugar was a little bit elevated last time and I was depressed about it too.

My doctor said to cut down on carbs. So what does that leave me since I don't eat much in the way of sweets anyway?

I guess it leaves meat, eggs, nuts. The fruit smoothies I was making probably weren't that good for me because of the sugar in the fruit. But apparently if you eat a protein along with the sugar, it helps. I keep eating bread though and am finding that hard to cut down on.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:29 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,975,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

I can: completely eliminate potatoes, white rice, flour tortillas (don't eat a lot of them), I usually eat sprouted grain bread, but can remove that (don't eat that often either, it's like Ezekiel which is listed as low glycemic), I'll eat some of the grapes when I buy them for kidlet..... Then I am basically out of things to remove. I did start eating yogurt with sugar, but eat only like a quarter container a day.

That's why I feel it's inevitable.
Go ahead and get a glucometer and test your sugar when you eat. You will be surprised what various foods do to your blood sugar. That's the way you learn what to change in your diet, you personalize what you eat using your blood sugar as a guide. Don't depend entirely on low glycemic guides, depend on your own glucometer.

I remember when my older brother was told he was prediabetic, and his doctor told him to simply start eating like a diabetic right then and there. I think that's good advice for a prediabetic.

Get a glucometer, experiment with different foods, and get ahead of the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes