Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 04:19 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
No but I am saying that eliminating carbs (not processed simple carbs -those can go) does not extend health, help you lose weight or offer any health benefits.
I believe, and there is some evidence that it's true, that lowering carbs would be an excellent strategy for someone who is experiencing blood sugar control problems. (You can't eliminate them!) There are certainly doctors who are prescribing the low carb diet for their diabetic or insulin resistant patients. It's possible that with someone who is insulin resistant that they could just do the diet long enough to turn the freight train around and then put some carbs back in. But then even Dr. Atkins didn't recommend eliminating carbs altogether and he only had patients on the most stringent part of the diet for about 2 weeks--maybe more if they had really bad problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 04:48 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,839,827 times
Quote:
No but I am saying that eliminating carbs (not processed simple carbs -those can go) does not extend health, help you lose weight or offer any health benefits.
Paleo/Primal is not very low carb like Atkins. I take in 100 to 125 grams of carbs per day on average, just not 300-400 like I used to.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:54 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times
Quote:
That is not correct.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:31 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Eliminating carbs can't help you lose weight, if you are overeating everything else. There are people who can't eat wheat, who cut out sugar, but eat lots of fat, protein, and fibrous vegetables - and are overweight. Why? Because they eat TOO MUCH and don't exercise enough.

You cannot count on losing weight by eliminating a particular food. You CAN count on losing weight by reducing your intake and increasing your output.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:39 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,236,547 times
There is so much wrong with the above post. I would love to see an overweight person who cuts out sugar and carbs, but eats all the fat protein and fibrous vegies he wants, and doesnt lose weight. Unless there is a medical condition, it just won't happen.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:43 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
There is so much wrong with the above post. I would love to see an overweight person who cuts out sugar and carbs, but eats all the fat protein and fibrous vegies he wants, and doesnt lose weight. Unless there is a medical condition, it just won't happen.
If that person is eating more calories than they are expending then they are not going to lose weight no matter what they are eating! Period!
Diabetics need to worry about glycemic index, the rest of us do not. Eat a variety of healthy whole foods from all the groups and exercise. Eat less than you burn. That's it. No special diet required.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:44 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
That is not correct.
Prove me wrong. Lets see some peer reviewed data.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:04 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
You can eliminate sugar and starch on a short-term basis as *PART* of a weight-loss routine. But you also have to moderate everything else you eat, AND you have to exercise. There is no one single thing you can say "I won't have any of this ever again" and expect to lose weight with it.

Also, eliminating carbs is not the same thing as eliminating starch and sugar - since - starch and sugar are only two types of carbs, and not the only types of carbs. If you eliminate ALL carbs - you will eventually get sick. And then you'll lose lots of weight, because you'll be sick. Not because you're on a diet.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
^this

Old 05-03-2013, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Prove me wrong. Lets see some peer reviewed data.
I can submit to you a case study, or two, or thousand if you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss