Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2013, 10:22 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
That is precisely what I do not do. I read tons of research and opinions from a wide variety of people, and then use that to form conclusions
You do? That would explain the selective citations of single studies.....

Whether coconut oil (or saturated fat in general) is bad for you or not doesn't conflict with my "worldview".

Quote:
And once again you completely missed the point. The only reason I was talking about fat calories was to illustrate how much of a whole coconut is coconut oil.
Yes, I know what you were doing, and I was pointing out why it was mistaken. Talking about how many calories comes from fat has nothing to do with what I said, to say it again, vitamins, minerals, insoluble fiber, etc don't contain calories yet are all important components of a food. But even if you spoke in terms of weight, that doesn't make sense either as some chemicals can have a big impact with a small dose where as others require a large dose.

The point of mentioning water was to make the above point, sorry if that wasn't obvious.

Quote:
First, saturated fat is inherently bad and causes heart disease. Then it's fine as long you're consuming it with vitamins and minerals (which you said it's low in) and miniscule amounts of sugar, fiber, and protein found in whole coconut
Could you please respond to what was actually stated? I never made this claim, instead I pointed out that there is a difference between whole coconut and coconut oil and contrary to your claim the vitamin, mineral, fiber and phytochemical content of whole coconut isn't "miniscule" (and again, weight doesn't matter, instead dose dependency) and as such you can't equate coconut oil with whole coconut.

Whether or not whole coconut is actually better for you than coconut oil, I have no idea, again I was pointing out why your claim was mistaken. Equating whole coconut with a processed oil derived from coconut because they are both "mostly fat" makes no sense for the reasons I highlighted.

Lastly,

Quote:
Now you're arguing that saturated fats are good sources of omega 3s?
Umm....huh? That doesn't even make sense, go reread what I said and if you have a serious question let me know.

The difference in omega-6/omega-3 ratio would have been large, not small. The intervention group was eating an oil that was filled with omega-6 and contained no omega-3, that would have dramatically changed their omega-6/omega-3 ratio.....I'm not sure how you imagine the situation would be otherwise.

Calling this a "limitation" of the study makes no sense, the authors could have easily tracked omega-3 consumption and the omega-6/omega-3 ratio and controlled for it. But they didn't, so either they are idiots or they study was designed to make saturated fat look good. The fact that they were looking at data collected by others doesn't change anything, after all, I'm not claiming that the data was cooked!

Regardless, you seem to be unaware of how much nutritional "research" is actually industry funded junk science. Data is rarely cooked, it doesn't have to be, you can just as easily achieve your goal via the structure of the study and then when someone points out the obvious folly in the design you can call it a "limitation".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 01:58 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Why not try it for a month and see how you feel? Everyone's body and digestion is different. Everyone has a favorite way of eating and foods they cannot live without.

Me, I had a hard time on the Paleo diet--it kicked up my diverticulitis..guess my body found (red) meat hard to digest. But others have had no problem with it. Your body will soon let you know if it's happy with this new way of eating for you.

Now, I mostly stick to the Mediterranean way of eating--it seems to agree with me and I find it easy to eat this way. Little red meat, but heavy on vegetables, some chicken and fish and a light amount of Feta cheese. Moderate amounts of olive oil and lemon juice. Whole grains--cous cous, barley, lentils, brown rice, beans, chick peas. It doesn't feel like dieting at all.

I take OTC Vitamin D as recommended by my doctor as she found my level was low.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:32 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Why not try it for a month and see how you feel? Everyone's body and digestion is different. Everyone has a favorite way of eating and foods they cannot live without.

Me, I had a hard time on the Paleo diet--it kicked up my diverticulitis..guess my body found (red) meat hard to digest. But others have had no problem with it. Your body will soon let you know if it's happy with this new way of eating for you.

Now, I mostly stick to the Mediterranean way of eating--it seems to agree with me and I find it easy to eat this way. Little red meat, but heavy on vegetables, some chicken and fish and a light amount of Feta cheese. Moderate amounts of olive oil and lemon juice. Whole grains--cous cous, barley, lentils, brown rice, beans, chick peas. It doesn't feel like dieting at all.

I believe User_Id is a vegetarian. As such, the Paleo diet isn't appropriate for him.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:27 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:

I'm not a big believer in the blood type diet--sounds like a cute way to sell a book. And yet. . . I don't digest red meat well either, just as it says that I won't in the book and I'm blood type A. Do you know yours? An interesting thing though is I tolerate venison fine so I'm wondering if you've tried that? It could just be that I don't tolerate the supermarket variety so I'm getting ready to fill up on some grassfed beef this summer.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:22 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Nope, I don't know my blood type...sure, I'd try some deer meat if someone gave me some...I think, though, that's it's highly fibrous foods that my system has trouble handling...seems most ground beef, if not too fatty, works okay, but steak and roasts, are a no-go (pun fully intended).

Different strokes for different folks...my advice was for the OP whose doctor wanted him/her to try a Paleo diet for health reasons.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:24 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,083,618 times
One shouldn't really rely on how foods make you feel over a short-term to determine how you should eat. Obviously if you have a very bad reaction to a food you shouldn't eat it, but feeling "okay" after you eat something doesn't tell you much. Many people feel just fine the day before they die of a heart attack....

Old 04-30-2013, 01:55 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times
I've been doing Atkins + legumes (which I guess is paleolithic) for almost 7 months. People who say such a diet doesn't work or cannot be maintained are wrong.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:38 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,817,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
I've been doing Atkins + legumes (which I guess is paleolithic) for almost 7 months. People who say such a diet doesn't work or cannot be maintained are wrong.
No one claims it doesn't work. No one claims it cannot be maintained. However, most people have a hard time avoiding food groups for extended periods of time. And truth be told, no one needs to avoid any food group. If this way of eating works for you great. Get back to us in a couple of years and tell us how its going.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:41 AM

515 posts, read 1,004,545 times
Quote:

By far one of the best suggestions on this board. People get so dogmatic about everything. If it works for you, great. If it doesn't, you can always adjust

Old 04-30-2013, 07:52 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
No one claims it doesn't work. No one claims it cannot be maintained.
In another thread, people have claimed that low carb does not work. And in this thread, somebody claimed that low carb cannot be maintained.

In the early 2000's I did low carb for YEARS without any difficulty. Sure there were some cheat days, but for the most part, once you're off all the wheat filler, etc., it's not difficult to resist that stuff if you augment with peanut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss