Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2013, 07:54 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,774,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
What he said:

Quote:
We have three levels of toxins: things like cyanide where one part per million will kill you; arsenic and lead where 30 to 50 parts per million kills you; and toxins where high doses of thousands of parts per million can kill you. A lot of the last category are nutrients, for instance vitamin A, vitamin D and iron. Well, fructose falls in that category.
From: Obesity expert: Sugar is toxic and should be regulated - opinion - 28 September 2011 - New Scientist
Oh so he says sugar is the same kind of toxin as vitamin A, vitamin D, and iron. Because, y'know, vitamins A and D, and iron, are toxins.

Water's a toxin too - if you drink enough of it your liver and kidneys can bloat out and explode. :0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 08:03 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,793,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

I'm telling you what HE said. Not what I say. And he has been proven wrong, not by me - but by ...

the medical profession
the nutritional profession
the chemistry and science profession

Sugar is not a poison. It is a necessary carbohydrate in normal human physiology. If you eat too much sugar, you can harm yourself. If you don't get enough sugar, you can harm yourself. Feel free to look it up. At any medical website that has references to actual studies.
Anon, how did anyone actually prove him wrong? No one in any of those professions has proven conclusively just what it is that makes the majority of Americans overweight or obese. No one has figured it out exactly. They thought they had it nailed when they started in on the fat but they were so tragically wrong on that one. So what is the main thing in the last 50 years that has changed? One thing that does look pretty evident is that so many people are insulin resistant or diabetic, which is driven by your blood sugar/insulin ratio of course and what drives that? And again I ask you--what does moderate sugar consumption look like? Does anyone even know anymore? I'm guessing that it looks like a lot less than we would like to believe and before sugar came on the market it was virtually impossible for people to get it in any kind of amount that we can imagine. Your sweet for the day, if you could get it, was probably a spot of jelly on your toast.

Answer me this too--what does it look like when you don't get enough sugar? How will that harm you exactly? Do you even listen to yourself when you type?

I will agree that some fruit is necessary for health but back in the olden times the fruits were not as sweet as they are now and you didn't have sugar 'n cream sweet corn then either. Everything has been bred to be sweeter so we'll buy it.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:17 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
I don't even know if I've posted on this thread before and what do I know about the paleo diet except it might be really good for some people. I have an online friend who was diagnosed with diabetes and she went on the paleo diet and is saying she has never felt better in her life! Maybe it's from not eating too much sugar, maybe it's the diet. IDK.

But, speaking of sugar in our diets, even our desserts had less sugar when I was a kid than they normally do today. We would have a bowl of peaches or for a treat, some apple crisp. But nobody back then ate a bowl of ice cream for dessert. Nobody ate ice cream for a snack either. It was a special treat Our cereals were not pre-sweetened.

Few people drank soda either. I didn't grow up with soda in the house. If you went to a party there would be soda but people didn't sit around at home drinking it.

Personally, I think the weight gain has something to do with junk food and super sizing along with all the extra sugar. There never used to be McDonald's with the greasy huge burgers, and so on.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:20 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,394 times
Quote:
What he said:

We have three levels of toxins: things like cyanide where one part per million will kill you; arsenic and lead where 30 to 50 parts per million kills you; and toxins where high doses of thousands of parts per million can kill you. A lot of the last category are nutrients, for instance vitamin A, vitamin D and iron. Well, fructose falls in that category.
From: Obesity expert: Sugar is toxic and should be regulated - opinion - 28 September 2011 - New Scientist
OMG LMFAO! That doctor is CRAZY!

Seriously? Comparing nutrients to cyanide, arsenic, and lead??????? That is absurd. Any toxicologist would be laughing. Not to mention the fact that it's kind of insulting to people who've been severly disabled from cyanide, lead, and arsenic poisoning.

Having a background in environmental health, I can tell you, along with my past PhD mentors who recieved degrees from top universities that sugar or any nutrient is not poisonous like arsenic, cyanide, and lead.

Vitamin D? Yeah this doctor lost all his credibility there. Look at numerous studies on vitamin D and you'll see how beneficial it is. They're actually investigating forms of vitamin D to be a safe anti-cancer drug for the future.

Also another reason why this doctor loses credibility, notice he said 'toxin'. If he's going to say sugar is toxic, then it's a toxicant not toxin. Anyone with a biological sciences background should know this.

Toxin = poison in the form or produced by a biological agent, such as E.Coli or mycotoxin (living)

Toxicant = poison in the form of a chemical agent, such as arsenic, PCBs (non-living)

Old 05-09-2013, 11:06 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,082,500 times
Quote:
Dr. Lustig said that, in his video. If you watch the video you can hear and watch him say it for yourself. Dr. Lustig is wrong.
Like I said, taking quotes out of context and insisting that they represent what he thinks when he has a book where it says otherwise makes little sense. All Dr. Lustig is guilty of here is poor word choice.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:11 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,082,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
Vitamin D? Yeah this doctor lost all his credibility there. Look at numerous studies on vitamin D and you'll see how beneficial it is. They're actually investigating forms of vitamin D to be a safe anti-cancer drug for the future.
You seem to be missing his point, he is pointing out the dose dependency of toxins. Some toxic substances are very active, it only takes a little to kill you. Where as it takes much more of others. Vitamin D, Vitamin A and iron are all toxic when over consumed despite being essential at lower levels. He is saying that fructose is like these, namely a nutrient that is toxic at higher levels.

Lustig doesn't think Vitamin D is toxic at recommended levels.

C'mon folks....Lustig is well educated and has been practicing medicine for many years. If you think he is saying something ridiculous the most likely reason for that is that you're misunderstanding him.....

Old 05-09-2013, 11:28 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,724,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't even know if I've posted on this thread before and what do I know about the paleo diet except it might be really good for some people. I have an online friend who was diagnosed with diabetes and she went on the paleo diet and is saying she has never felt better in her life! Maybe it's from not eating too much sugar, maybe it's the diet. IDK.

But, speaking of sugar in our diets, even our desserts had less sugar when I was a kid than they normally do today. We would have a bowl of peaches or for a treat, some apple crisp. But nobody back then ate a bowl of ice cream for dessert. Nobody ate ice cream for a snack either. It was a special treat Our cereals were not pre-sweetened.

Few people drank soda either. I didn't grow up with soda in the house. If you went to a party there would be soda but people didn't sit around at home drinking it.

Personally, I think the weight gain has something to do with junk food and super sizing along with all the extra sugar. There never used to be McDonald's with the greasy huge burgers, and so on.
If sugar were morphine, high fructose corn syrup would be heroin. Its highly addictive and is put in most all the food people buy today so that they will get addicted and buy more. I have constant cravings when I eat that crap.

You speak of foods when we were kids. I know one thing for sure, diabetes was not an epidemic when I was a kid, but it is now. I never saw the amount of morbidly obese people then that I see today, either. Some of it is lifestyle, IMO, but food producers look at one thing = profits and addicts buy more product when they become addicted.

You can quote all the stats you want for either side but I do my grocery shopping on the outside aisles and not in the middle of the store. 2 simple things have happened since using that method = continuous weight loss at a healthy rate and grocery bills that shrink even faster than my waistline. It works better than any fad diet I have ever tried and I eat less w/o feeling hungry all the time.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:23 AM

Quote:

Answer me this too--what does it look like when you don't get enough sugar? How will that harm you exactly? Do you even listen to yourself when you type?

I will agree that some fruit is necessary for health but back in the olden times the fruits were not as sweet as they are now and you didn't have sugar 'n cream sweet corn then either. Everything has been bred to be sweeter so we'll buy it.
Lustig says fructose is a toxin, it is poison, and he aims to convince the world that it is poison.

You ask me what it looks like when you don't get enough sugar.
And then you say you agree that some fruit is necessary for health.

Fructose is the sugar that occurs naturally in fruit. So you say you agree that fructose is necessary to health.

So tell me what it looks like when you don't get enough fruit.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawporri View Post
If sugar were morphine, high fructose corn syrup would be heroin. Its highly addictive and is put in most all the food people buy today so that they will get addicted and buy more. I have constant cravings when I eat that crap.

You speak of foods when we were kids. I know one thing for sure, diabetes was not an epidemic when I was a kid, but it is now. I never saw the amount of morbidly obese people then that I see today, either. Some of it is lifestyle, IMO, but food producers look at one thing = profits and addicts buy more product when they become addicted.

You can quote all the stats you want for either side but I do my grocery shopping on the outside aisles and not in the middle of the store. 2 simple things have happened since using that method = continuous weight loss at a healthy rate and grocery bills that shrink even faster than my waistline. It works better than any fad diet I have ever tried and I eat less w/o feeling hungry all the time.
Here's what's on the outside of my supermarket:

1. The bakery. Mostly bread, which is starch, which converts to sugar in the body - and cakes and cookies which are starch AND sugar - a double-punch of poisonous toxic scary OMG call 911 they're trying to kill us.

2. The deli. Sliced slices of overprocessed pig-meat injected with copious amounts of sodium, dyed and artificially flavored just for an extra bonus. And salads made with enough mayo to grout the White House bathroom tile.

3. Oscar Meyer kids' meals, with deli "meats" that don't really even look like meat at all, with crackers, mustard, and pretzel sticks. Also, bacon, bacon, more bacon, three -other- varieties of bacon, and weird breaded patties they call chicken, in italian flavoring, in pre-packaged trays, that when you cook them and cut into them, it doesn't look like the stuff inside had ever uttered a single cluck in its life.

4. Ice cream! Sugary goodness. An entire aisle dedicated to ice cream in all its varieties. Gelato, push-ups, fudgsicles (chocolate flavored brown-dyed SUGAR on a stick), Friendlies, etc. etc.

5. Life is meaningless without Pillsbury cinnamon buns, and so they make sure to feature this right next to the eggs. And for those who want to pretend they're good cooks, but can't be bothered using a mixing bowl - right above those cinnamon buns are BIG PACKAGES of raw chocolate-chip cookie dough, in ready-to-bake cookie shapes! Just slice, heat, and serve!

Moral of the story:

Don't assume that just because it's not in the canned goods aisle, it's good for you. Here's some things that are on the INNER parts of our supermarket:

Produce: It's 3 aisle in from the bakery.
Toilet paper: I don't know what -you- are using, but me - I'm steppin inside them aisles, darlin
Frozen vegetables: anyone who thinks they have to shell 2 pounds of peas, in order to yield 1 pound of peas - obviously has never been to this aisle. You can get flash-frozen peas right there. Unflavored, unsullied, perfectly edible, totally nutritious, and 2-brandsworth of organic - frozen peas. Frozen brocolli, frozen herbs (I get the cilantro because it doesn't grow well in my garden for some reason).
Olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, unsweetened cocoa powder.
Canned vegetables - they've become a whole lot more responsible about this - if you take time to go INTO the aisles and read labels, you'd see this for yourself. Low sodium, no salt added, new packaging so the environmentalists and tin foil hat wearers can breathe easy about opening the can, and just like canning in great-grandma's kitchen - the stuff inside is 100% edible, with no nutrition lost. Not as tasty as raw or fresh-steamed, but if you're in a rush, it's a perfectly reasonable substitute.
Peanutbutter - you can now get organic, unsalted, unsweetened peanutbutter in the supermarket. In fact, that's all I've purchased in the past 15 years. It's been sitting on the shelf, the opposite end from Skippy's. In four different brands, all at fairly reasonable prices.
Maple Syrup - pure, filtered, grade A - okay so it's probably made in Canada. But hey - they have lots of maple trees too, Vermont doesn't have a monopoly on good maple syrup.

In short - "stay on the outside" is not true, it's a catch-phrase coined by someone who was selling something at some point. And the supermarkets know this, and they market some of the most UNhealthy crap for you to grab, by putting that unhealthy crap *exactly* where you were told to shop.

Edited to add: I just remembered another thing they put in the outer aisle - the TV dinners and frozen craparoni and cheese-flavored soy-product. But hey - these are just the ORGANIC ones. And the gluten-free fast food burritos. Because you know - if it's organic, or it's gluten-free, it has to be good for you.

Last edited by AnonChick; 05-10-2013 at 05:53 AM..

Old 05-10-2013, 09:31 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,971,983 times
Quote:
Here's what's on the outside of my supermarket:

1. The bakery. Mostly bread, which is starch, which converts to sugar in the body - and cakes and cookies which are starch AND sugar - a double-punch of poisonous toxic scary OMG call 911 they're trying to kill us.

2. The deli. Sliced slices of overprocessed pig-meat injected with copious amounts of sodium, dyed and artificially flavored just for an extra bonus. And salads made with enough mayo to grout the White House bathroom tile.

3. Oscar Meyer kids' meals, with deli "meats" that don't really even look like meat at all, with crackers, mustard, and pretzel sticks. Also, bacon, bacon, more bacon, three -other- varieties of bacon, and weird breaded patties they call chicken, in italian flavoring, in pre-packaged trays, that when you cook them and cut into them, it doesn't look like the stuff inside had ever uttered a single cluck in its life.

4. Ice cream! Sugary goodness. An entire aisle dedicated to ice cream in all its varieties. Gelato, push-ups, fudgsicles (chocolate flavored brown-dyed SUGAR on a stick), Friendlies, etc. etc.

5. Life is meaningless without Pillsbury cinnamon buns, and so they make sure to feature this right next to the eggs. And for those who want to pretend they're good cooks, but can't be bothered using a mixing bowl - right above those cinnamon buns are BIG PACKAGES of raw chocolate-chip cookie dough, in ready-to-bake cookie shapes! Just slice, heat, and serve!

Moral of the story:

Don't assume that just because it's not in the canned goods aisle, it's good for you. Here's some things that are on the INNER parts of our supermarket:

Produce: It's 3 aisle in from the bakery.
Toilet paper: I don't know what -you- are using, but me - I'm steppin inside them aisles, darlin
Frozen vegetables: anyone who thinks they have to shell 2 pounds of peas, in order to yield 1 pound of peas - obviously has never been to this aisle. You can get flash-frozen peas right there. Unflavored, unsullied, perfectly edible, totally nutritious, and 2-brandsworth of organic - frozen peas. Frozen brocolli, frozen herbs (I get the cilantro because it doesn't grow well in my garden for some reason).
Olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, unsweetened cocoa powder.
Canned vegetables - they've become a whole lot more responsible about this - if you take time to go INTO the aisles and read labels, you'd see this for yourself. Low sodium, no salt added, new packaging so the environmentalists and tin foil hat wearers can breathe easy about opening the can, and just like canning in great-grandma's kitchen - the stuff inside is 100% edible, with no nutrition lost. Not as tasty as raw or fresh-steamed, but if you're in a rush, it's a perfectly reasonable substitute.
Peanutbutter - you can now get organic, unsalted, unsweetened peanutbutter in the supermarket. In fact, that's all I've purchased in the past 15 years. It's been sitting on the shelf, the opposite end from Skippy's. In four different brands, all at fairly reasonable prices.
Maple Syrup - pure, filtered, grade A - okay so it's probably made in Canada. But hey - they have lots of maple trees too, Vermont doesn't have a monopoly on good maple syrup.

In short - "stay on the outside" is not true, it's a catch-phrase coined by someone who was selling something at some point. And the supermarkets know this, and they market some of the most UNhealthy crap for you to grab, by putting that unhealthy crap *exactly* where you were told to shop.

Edited to add: I just remembered another thing they put in the outer aisle - the TV dinners and frozen craparoni and cheese-flavored soy-product. But hey - these are just the ORGANIC ones. And the gluten-free fast food burritos. Because you know - if it's organic, or it's gluten-free, it has to be good for you.
I often get the urge to write. I've often wondered what it would look like if that urge to write were always accompanied by an urge to share the product. I guess it would look a lot like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss