Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 07:00 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Oh, and Born Free Eggs in California has the Cage-free and Cage-free Organic eggs too!
Yeap i usually have egg salads and Whey powder for my proteins. I've pretty much given up red meat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 09:02 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
It's all about choices. Organic as much as possible. Cage free, cruelty free, organically fed meat. Exercise every day. Sleep. Not hard to understand, hard to put in practice. I do think that humans were designed to eat meat, but not Quarter Pounders.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:52 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,513,094 times
I agree, it is quality, not quantity...long ago, if you wanted a hamburger at midnight, you had to grind the meat yourself and cook it, not go through a drive through. All those chickens for all those fast food restaurants too.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
stress...................
and unhappyiness,
mean streets do not produce skinny people.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:40 PM

9 posts, read 22,838 times
Thank you Nebulous 1 for your tremendous insite. I totally agree with you. Ever since the mid eighties I have been struggling with my weight. I am a very active person, and now that I'm older I eat less than I did when I was younger and still struggle with my weight. Just like they put chemicals in tabacco to cause people to eat more I think they do the same for food. The foods nowadays are empty useless fuel. It doesn't give you strength, energy or health. MONEY is the bottom line, the food and health industry are the only jobs left in America that's plentiful.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:12 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,282,289 times
It's not just animals pumped full of chemicals and growth hormones,etc. It's also the chemicals in foods. Also the high-fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated oils, modified corn starch, hydrolyzed soy protein,modified palm oil, monosdium glutamate in many hidden forms, and so much more.
It's the sneaky ways food manufacturer's lie to people:
Spray oil, labeled as fat free. Sure, if you only spray it for a third of a second. try that sometime if you can.
People believe it and use lots of it.

So-called fat free dressings that are loaded with oil, sugar and salt. Yummy. People pour them on like crazy,thinking, 'oh, it's fat free, i'll just drink the whole bottle.'
And on and on it goes...

To the people that think food manufacturer's don't have hidden agenda's in getting people addicted to their foods, think again. It's been going on for quite some time now. Look at labels, see if you can figure out what half of them are on a label. Pick up a bag of Dorito's for comparison sometime. The list of ingredients is a mile long. Scary too. Modified this, modified that. Lots of artificial colors and flavors.
Now pick up a bag of Cascade chips, salt free. It has 2 ingredients. Potatos and oil. The oil may not be the healthiest thing to be eating if someone wants to lose weight, but it would be the better choice if someone wanted a healthier snack.

Last edited by PinkString; 02-26-2008 at 12:12 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-26-2008, 06:20 AM

Default Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by salene View Post
Thank you Nebulous 1 for your tremendous insite. I totally agree with you. Ever since the mid eighties I have been struggling with my weight. I am a very active person, and now that I'm older I eat less than I did when I was younger and still struggle with my weight. Just like they put chemicals in tabacco to cause people to eat more I think they do the same for food. The foods nowadays are empty useless fuel. It doesn't give you strength, energy or health. MONEY is the bottom line, the food and health industry are the only jobs left in America that's plentiful.

I work in the health industry and I got laid off. It isn't so full of jobs like people think, only nursing is wide open. Many places have cut staff.
I agree about the weight struggle. It seems people, including kids, are not as active as the previous generation, but when people try to take weight off, it seems to be such a struggle, which is why I am wondering about the growth hormones.
I agree about the money issue. When will those who are reaping millions have enough? People say the food industry is "trying to get by", "trying to be a business and stay in business" and they paint the picture of a business just scraping to make it. I don't think that is true when the top management is making big bucks.
Restaurants are almost all chains, food is being produced in a factory environment, animals are being raised as if they are not living things.
We need to get back to civility, where we do things on the integrity level, not the big profit level. It is killing us as a people.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
It's not just animals pumped full of chemicals and growth hormones,etc. It's also the chemicals in foods. Also the high-fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated oils, modified corn starch, hydrolyzed soy protein,modified palm oil, monosdium glutamate in many hidden forms, and so much more.
It's the sneaky ways food manufacturer's lie to people:
Spray oil, labeled as fat free. Sure, if you only spray it for a third of a second. try that sometime if you can.
People believe it and use lots of it.

So-called fat free dressings that are loaded with oil, sugar and salt. Yummy. People pour them on like crazy,thinking, 'oh, it's fat free, i'll just drink the whole bottle.'
And on and on it goes...

To the people that think food manufacturer's don't have hidden agenda's in getting people addicted to their foods, think again. It's been going on for quite some time now. Look at labels, see if you can figure out what half of them are on a label. Pick up a bag of Dorito's for comparison sometime. The list of ingredients is a mile long. Scary too. Modified this, modified that. Lots of artificial colors and flavors.
Now pick up a bag of Cascade chips, salt free. It has 2 ingredients. Potatos and oil. The oil may not be the healthiest thing to be eating if someone wants to lose weight, but it would be the better choice if someone wanted a healthier snack.

I agree with everything you said!!!!!!...I would rather eat those natural potato chips than something ground up with chemicals and sugar.
The genetically modified foods scare me too. I don't want someone messing with my food supply.
I still say it...if agribusiness could get science to produce a living lump of flesh they could grow and harvest, they would do it.
I let these manufacturers know I won't buy their products, and I let the good ones know I will. Nothing like customer feedback. You torture animals from birth to death, and I won't patronize you.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:25 AM

10 posts, read 54,577 times
I'm a dietician. (Any others on the site?) Quite simply, if an individual's intake exceeds his/her expenditure, then the individual will gain weight. However, I believe we need to dig deeper than that to ascertain the factors CAUSING the individual to eat more - stress, psychological, emotional issues. Being overweight may be a result of merely eating too much, but obesity (BMI>30) is a result of many issues far deeper than that.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:52 AM

305 posts, read 1,808,509 times
What about folks like myself who were fat babies, fat kids, fat teens, and fat adults?

I'm so sick of people saying that all I have to do is eat less and exercise more and Wa-La ... I'm a skinny person.

The only time I was able to lose weight was when I cut my calorie intake to 500 calories a day. I lost weight fast. But was in frail health, my hair was falling out, I was anemic.

I have looked at my childhood pictures from birth through high school. I was overweight all those years and nothing my parents or doctors did changed it.

I always eat less than my husband by one-third of what he has on his plate. We only eat fresh or steam vegetables, fruit is limited (because of the sugar content) and only eaten with a meal, desserts consist of sugar-free, fat free puddings and other items. I don't snack between meals and I eat three meals a day (I have to eat all three to keep my blood sugar in check). I have Type II Diabetes, but my A1C is totally under control at a consistent 5.5 rate for the last 18 months.

I am unable to do aggressive cardio because I am disabled. I can, and do, chair exercises religiously.

My idea of cheating when I eat is NOT a cookie or cake but Shrimp with Cocktail sauce.

We grill or broil everything we eat (with the exception of an occasional food that can't be grilled or broiled). My pasta is Dreamfields. Low carb and measured every time.

So if I'm doing everything right (I saw a nutritionist, we worked on my food plan together for 3 months) and I'm still overweight do I deserve the look of disdain I often see on other people's faces? I think not.

For the most part, I'm relatively healthy for a disabled person. My heart is good, my diabetes is under my control, and I'm very cognitive of what goes in my mouth and when.

Now someone is going to tell me I'm not doing enough? I don't think so. Oh, and I've weighed exactly the same for the last 25 years or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss