Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 01:16 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,514,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Spirit View Post
This video was just horrible. Although I probably won't stop eating meat I am appalled (sp?) at the autracities that are being done in this day and age. It makes you wonder if our forefathers were much kinder in the killing fields than we are today. I can understand a bigger mass market because of the increase of world population but still - is this method really neccessary these days? And the conditions that the animals have to "live" in!! Sometimes I feel PETA goes too far with their demonstrations but after watching this video I couldn't argue with their method to protest this kind of cruelty. I am not saying we need to give up milk or meats but there has to be a better way than what is currently happening. And the big question is why is the US Government still allowing this to happen or approving diseases on these animals that shouldn't be allowed in the first place?

I know it's "a dirty job and somebody has to do it" but not like this. Not in this kind of fashion. And not with all the stupid drug inducing chemicals injected into these animals which eventually gets back into us. My gawd, this is sickening. I guess one may call me a hypocrite for still eating meat or drinking milk. I don't know. I just feel there has to be a more humane way of carrying out the slaughter. This method is inexcuseable.
I agree. People used to raise animals on farms. Animals actually mated and nursed their babies. They grazed outside. They went in the barns at night.

Now, they aren't even treated like living beings. "Just an animal" is what you hear.
Anything for the almighty dollar.
Somehow, these people have reduced them to being very little, and we are told that is acceptable.
But animals feel pain and contentment too. Just because they are not human doesn't mean they should be abused.
This goes with the lack of decency displayed nowadays toward a lot of things. Everyone is just a number. Maybe we are next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 01:22 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,514,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr1039 View Post
nebulous - there is an old fable that animals and humans once shared the earth and were great friends and partners - that is until one person decided to feast on the flesh on an animal.

Humans then turned their backs on animals and began raising them for food (which has now lead to the factory farming issue)

Well, animals have now cursed humans with heart disease, liver disease, food poisoning, obesity etc.

That is their lesson to us - for turning on our friends.
It is as if there is this long loud cry...a loud primitive wail...a continous anguish in the air, you don't hear it, but you know it is there, the suffering of millions...because we know this goes on constantly.
It made an atheist out of me. I cannot believe any loving spirit would sit by and claim the free will of the abusers is paramount, and that crap about animals not going to heaven...yeah, they can suffer here though. Some have quoted that quote about man having dominion over the animals. I would like them to tell me how that means some guy can shove sticks in the animals' eyes. Anyone who would back up abuse like that with some religious mantra needs to wake up.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:13 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
You can bet that some bible quoter will find a verse that PROVES animals were put here to feed humans.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:49 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
think one of the key things to losing weight is to have a support system. I couldn't have done it without my husband. He alway encouraged me and kept my spirits up when I felt down. He himself joined me and lost 20lbs and gained some muscle. He didn't ever look like he needed to lose 20lbs that's for sure. I have never felt better then I do today. It took 3 years, but it was worth it all in the end.

Hooray for you & I mean that sincerely. I know it wasn't easy. Lucky for you that you have such a great hubby.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-22-2009, 02:24 PM

550 posts, read 1,214,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hguru View Post
there is no big conspiracy to make the population fat and unhealthy. The industries such as the food suppliers and health companies simply react to needs in the market. People are over-weight because they eat too much of the wrong types of food.
exactly!

Old 02-23-2009, 03:26 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
I haven't read through this thread and while I agree that our food supply is dangerously contaminated and the food we eat overprocessed, I think obesity boils down to calories. People simply eat more than they burn. Being sedentary isn't healthy, but if you eat less, you shouldn't gain weight. Problem is too many people eat more instead of cutting back. As for the food we eat, I agree with the OP. It's unbelievable the kind of stuff that's in our food. It's no wonder we're a nation that's sick. Just about every major health issue we see today can be traced back to what we eat. But no one wants to believe that. We're a nation who'd rather believes it's bad genes or thyroid problems and that the drug companies can produce pills for us to take that'll solve all our ailments. But I've learned that food is the best medicine. If we all ate right and exercised more, our overburdened health care system would be better off and we wouldn't be paying so much for health care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss