Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 11:08 PM

170 posts, read 983,010 times

Advertisements

"When that food was in front of them, nothing was more important."

I know what you mean. I have an obese sister and its horrible. Its hopeless. I used to find empty bags of junk food in her room. Trash bags full of emtpy junk containers. She is a total slob who doesnt clean up after herself and she has a terrible attitude to go with it.

What do you do with a person like that? Not willing to help themself, unpleasant to everyone around them. It really seems hopeless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 05:03 AM

8 posts, read 34,295 times
Well i have read this whole thread and am amazed at the constant things that are said about why people are over weight.
I have dieted on and off ALL my life depending on how i feel about myself at the time i eat healthy and eat junk depending on how i am feeling or whats in the cupboard, i am 5ft 4in and weigh anywhere from 9 stone to 9.8 depending how i have been eating in the previous weeks.
I KNOW that what i eat will make a difference on what i weigh.

We all know that ALOT of things determine how we keep or lose our weight,
health
types of food
how much food
exercise
upbringing

But i do belive that children that are brought up in a family or surrounding that already over eat or eat unhealthy foods with not enough exercise are at risk of becoming obese themselfs.

I have 6 children all but 1 eats and has always eaten a good healthy diet (does not mean they never eat a burger or a bar of chocolate )they are all fit and average weights for THEM !

Yet i have 1 son who is nearly 10 now and has a eating disorder, when younger had a feeding tube inserted to feed him and even now has to drink shakes to give his body what he needs, he only eats certain cerials (no milk) some bread (no marg or butter) and certain crisps, frube yogurts and jaffa cakes thats it his whole diet.

All his life has been trying to gain weight or at least hold it, he weighs 3.7 stone and thats after putting on weight this last few months due to his extra shake aday. so no matter what is said at the end of the day FOOD and EXERCISE are the most promonent things that make us gain or lose weight,

more food = more weight
less food = less weight
less exercise = more weight
more exercise = less weight

we know other things are inportant as well but food and exercise I belive are the biggest ones, we all have a choice when we go shopping what to buy and we have a choice wether to fry bake or steam it ,if we want to buy a big mac or a salad when we go to mc donalds and we need to teach our children to eat what THIER body needs to stay fit and healthy and happy.

Old 06-12-2008, 05:56 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,606,292 times
OK, I watched the so-called documentary. Now, is the question asking why people are obese or is it a movement toward making all the world vegetarians? If it were really about obese people, I can help you out.

It's so easy to say eat less, exercise and all that. Here's the truth of the matter - not everything is so blatantly simple. For example, there are a whole heap of medications that incrase a person's appetite. It is the #1 side effect. Oh wait, no, I think the insert will say something like "weight gain." Well that's pretty inevitable if the medication increases the patient's appetite. What kinds of illnesses? Depression is #1. All manner of emotional and mental issues included Posttramatic stress are treated with medicines that increase a person's appetite. Many also make the patient drowsy. How many people are we talking about? 18.8 million Americans over the age of 18 will suffer from a depressive disorder every year. Everyone in the United States, Australia and United Kingdom will be affected directly or indirectly (either themselves or someone they know) at some point in their lives. Depression Fact Sheet: Depression Statistics and Depression Causes

And add to that the number of people quitting smoking. The natural substitute is to continue the habit of putting something in their mouth rather than a cigarette. Some can do it with a toothpick or straw but those individuals are the exception rather than the rule. Even doctors will tell you that the weight their patients gain while quitting is preferable to the damage continuing to smoke would cause. Be patient, we are winning the war on smoking as more and more are quitting.

Don't discount the number of people who are in a wheelchair or have other mobility issues - suddenly. They can't exercise the way they may have normally and many seem to feel the only pleasure they can still enjoy is eating. Be patient. We can't solve all the world's problems at once. And I know from personal experience that nagging isn't going to fix anything.

Anything you show me from PETA is bunk. PETA likely staged the whole thing and that's how they treat animals. It is not the norm and I would certainly hope everyone here is wise enough to know garbage when they see it.

Old 08-10-2008, 02:30 PM

9,526 posts, read 16,507,823 times
I understand when one is overweight or obese due to medical conditons, medications, or is handicapped and cannot get around well. I understand all of that. I do not understand those that are overweight and don't fit the above criteria, yet don't know how to lose the weight. I even less understand (but it is their life) how they allow it to continue. I feel alot of overweight problems are due to the person themselves. Im sorry but one cannot blame the fast food restaurant or the lack of places to walk for the reason they are overweight. One of the biggest comments I hear is, people just don't have the time to devote to even a 15 minute walk. I have had two medical conditions for many years both notorious with or helping to cause overweight problems. I have had Diabetes for half my life. I have had Thyroid Disease for 11 years now. In all those years and the treatments for it, I have not been an overweight person. I've had long commutes to full time employment, attended school and managed a household thru it all. I've had to find time in all those years for a proper diet and exercise , so if I can do it others can also. I don't believe all this baloney that fast food restaurants and the lack of PE in schools is the problem with obesity in the USA. Those factors are contribuiting to the problem, the main cause of it is the person themselves.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:40 PM

101 posts, read 297,791 times
Bravo teebopop! I know many fat folks like myself with the same story. No one want's to be fat, it's just the way we are. If you have really tried and not succeeded, then go on with your life, love and accept yourself for who you are and BE HAPPY! And, while I appreciate that those of you who have never been fat are still entitled to your opinions, please, how can you judge so harshly when you have never had to deal with the issue?

Old 08-28-2008, 12:46 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times
You know what is said about TRYING....trying is lying. Trying implies a lack of committment. Doing anything with an attitude of I'll give it a try, is just a way to fool yourself. Stop trying, make a committment, and start doing!

Old 08-28-2008, 12:50 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,162,454 times
ohhhhh don't get me started.....walking away now

Old 08-30-2008, 09:17 PM

438 posts, read 1,730,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot juice View Post
An eating disorder is when that relationship interferes with one's health and ability to conduct day-to-day affairs. Obesity is a type of eating disorder.

###
As an obese person, I agree with you. Although my weight was gained during breast cancer treatment - steroids and other lovely meds - I still haven't lost the weight I gained. I recognize I have an unhealthy relationship with food and it's not an easy thing to break. Food is my coping mechanism and has been since I got sick. I'm working on changing but it's going to take a while to get it right and unlearn those bad habits.

I do think part of the problem is that schools do not promote a healthy lifestyle. Schools now have soda and vending machines. My daughter is taught how to properly eat at home (she is a textbook example of 'proper eating') and we limit tv and computer. She's thin and active but peer pressure will start to play a role in her choices soon. We send healthy snacks but she sees other children eating chips & candy at snack time. Teachers are drinking soda in the classroom and give chocolate and gum as rewards. She's starting to question why she can't have a candy bar for snack I've made a point to connect how many sick days those children have versus how many days she misses school or how much more energy she has and that quiets the subject for a while.

Dea

Old 08-31-2008, 08:57 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,993,789 times
Dea13 wrote:
Teachers are drinking soda in the classroom and give chocolate and gum as rewards.
Thosoe teachers ought to be rewarded with having their licenses revoked!

Old 09-01-2008, 07:08 AM

3 posts, read 100,380 times
hey! i quite agree with nebuluos1 that America is a country of people who suffer from additional weight. recently i had the same problem. but my life changed when i met my boyfriend. he changed my life and changed me. thank to him i found the stimulus to lose weight. sure i worked a lot. and i remember that for first time i found some information about how to slim or at least how to lose weight.
here it is:
DietSpace.com - 3-Hour Diet
DietSpace.com - Slim-Fast
i hope it will be useful for those who are interested to lose weight in short time and without and harm for health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss