Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 07:51 AM

342 posts, read 1,831,320 times

Advertisements

It's true that obesity is a multi-faceted problem with numerous contributing factors. But at some point, the individual must take personal accountability for his own weight. As a nation, the US (and increasingly more first-world nations) are overfed and undernourished. Far too few people pay attention to portion control and balanced diets, and overfeed on junk food full of empty calories, high sodium, sugar, preservatives, and chemical additives. Particularly disturbing is that childhood obesity is increasing at alarming rates as children grow up without fundamental understanding of nutrition or health.

While stress and other factors do affect overall health and body weight, proper diet and exercise are still the simplest and most effective means of maintaining appropriate body mass. Unfortunately, many people for whom the overfed sedentary lifestyle have become a habit are not self-motivated to make the lifestyle changes to lead a healthier life, particularly if these habits are aquired from childhood. Too often you see people who underwent gastric bypass or other procedure to "fix" the problem but gained the weight right back because no accompanying lifestyle changes were made.

Kudos to all those who take personal accountability for their obesity and with determination and hard work, take control of their health and fitness!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 11:28 AM

534 posts, read 1,594,669 times
Quote:
I understand when one is overweight or obese due to medical conditons, medications, or is handicapped and cannot get around well. I understand all of that. I do not understand those that are overweight and don't fit the above criteria, yet don't know how to lose the weight.
I feel the same way. Almost 6 years ago I weighed 300lbs. I knew that I had to do something. Things were just way out of control. My husband never once told me to loose weight. He is not a heavy man. We were to go to Vegas in that July. It was May. I knew all the walking involved and if I didn't do something, I was going to be miserable. It was May at the time I started.

I think if I had to lose the weight now, it might be harder for me then it was 6 years ago. I may be reaching a bit here on this theroy, but I'm looking at it at how I would feel if I was still 300lbs.

Everyone throws their opinions out there. Cut sugar, cut soda, cut white flour, cut snack foods, cut this meal, cut this food, don't eat after 6pm. It's ridiculous to me. I'd be terrified to read things like that constantly. One shouldn't expect an obese person to cut out everything at once. Their body would go into complete shock. There was no way I was going to go on a special "diet". I was going to lose the weight on my own and in my own way.

The first thing I did do was throw out any chips(I eat them now, just not the whole bag) I had laying around and candy. I used to keep a huge bowl of candy bars(funny, I don't even like chocolate now) and whatnot in the living room. That's all I did though. I had just baked a huge batch of cookies the day before I decided I had had enough. I didn't eat one of those cookies. My husband ate some and took the rest to work. I wasn't going to give up the foods I love. If I wanted noodles, I was gonna have noodles. The key was proportions.

I love food, who doesn't? I cut back on eating out, but I didn't stop it completely. I cut back eating after dinner, but not completely. I've read that if you have the calories left to eat, you can eat a snack at night(not a whopper meal..lol). It's not going to kill you. Who here is done eating dinner at 6pm nowadays? Half the people in the country probably don't get home till 7 at night and then have dinner. You can't expect to not eat after a certain time at night. If that's your thing, great, but if you can control the calories during the day, your fine to have a snack.

I used to bake A LOT. I've learned I don't have the patience anymore and I haven't baked in probably a year. I come from a lot of bakers in the family so it feels strange to not be one. If I do bake, it's a batch of cookies for my husband to take to work.

I exercised with an eliptical at first. I didn't try to kill myself the first day either. I did it for 15 minutes(though that felt like death..LOL). I did this for a week and then increased my time to 30 minutes. I didn't make it 30 minutes each day that following week, but made it the next week. That was a great accomplisment for me.

After about a month, we bought a home gym(nothing fancy). Hubby helped me with the weights till I could do it on my own. I'm so glad he got the weights, thanks to that, I don't have hanging skin. I alternated with the weights and eliptical from that point. Through it all I changed a lot of my workouts. I got bored fast. I always did weights up to about a year ago. My back couldn't take them much anymore. We also had a exercise bike throughout this as well.

When it came time for Vegas, I had dropped 20lbs and some inches as well. I felt great. 20lbs may not seem like a lot, but to a 300lb person, it's a ton! My clothes were baggy as well. I was nervous for Vegas, not having my exercise stuff. Well I managed fine. I knew how to eat now, and I actually lost weight there(tons of walking). I had shorts that didn't fit me when I left and they were too big when I got home.

Fast forward 3 years and I had lost 150lbs. It was awesome! Again, I ate whatever I wanted(and still do). I just learned not to eat gigantic proportions. I gave away 9 bags of clothes to Goodwill. That still shocks me today.

I have maintained my weight and couldn't be happier. I'm at my goal weight. Right now I do one dvd 5 days a week(and it's quite the workout) and it works for me. I don't go gangbusters anymore. I never really did. I used to workout for an hour every morning. There are plenty of dvd's out there for all ages and exercise programs for people with bad joints(if that is stopping you).

I will say it became an obsession for a bit, the weight part. If I gained a pound or something I would freak which is silly since it wasn't anything. I've got that under control now and I don't gain really anyway. I always allow myself a 5 pound gain on vacation and that rarely every happens.

I think one of the key things to losing weight is to have a support system. I couldn't have done it without my husband. He alway encouraged me and kept my spirits up when I felt down. He himself joined me and lost 20lbs and gained some muscle. He didn't ever look like he needed to lose 20lbs that's for sure. I have never felt better then I do today. It took 3 years, but it was worth it all in the end.

Old 09-01-2008, 12:46 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,994,804 times
First UW Badger, allow me to tip my cap to your success. That being said, I strongly disagree with most of your rationale ( of course you are entitlede to think that way. It obviously worked very well for you. )

You wrote: One shouldn't expect an obese person to cut out everything at once.

Since you apparently recognize that those things are unhealthy, why not just make up your mind and do it..... cut out ALL the crap, all at once. You have the power to do that!

You wrote: I wasn't going to give up the foods I love. If I wanted noodles, I was gonna have noodles. The key was proportions.

You are bringing up the KEY issue of obesity. Obese people are usually ( but not always ) people who eat what they love ( substiture: addicted to ), instead of eating healthy foods. Many of the popular weight loss diets perpetuate the problem by saying crap like; you can eat whatever you want to eat, as long as you follow the other rules of this diet and buy ouer expensive meals. Although you had the dsicipline to eat foods that you love, and maintain portion control, MOST people woueld fail miserably with this a temptation like this.

You wrote: I exercised with an eliptical at first. I didn't try to kill myself the first day either. I did it for 15 minutes(though that felt like death..LOL). I did this for a week and then increased my time to 30 minutes. I didn't make it 30 minutes each day that following week, but made it the next week. That was a great accomplisment for me.

CONGRATULATIONS! This is the kind of effort it takes.

You wrote: Fast forward 3 years and I had lost 150lbs. It was awesome! Again, I ate whatever I wanted(and still do). I just learned not to eat gigantic proportions. I gave away 9 bags of clothes to Goodwill. That still shocks me today.

CONGRATULATIONS again! This is fantastic. Obviously, your program worked for you, but I seriously doubt that it would work for many other 300lb people, because not many people would exercise the discipline that you brought into the program. Even though your program contained many loopholes, you somehow managed to stay with it.

Old 09-01-2008, 08:40 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,339,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UW Badgers View Post
I feel the same way. Almost 6 years ago I weighed 300lbs. I knew that I had to do something. Things were just way out of control. My husband never once told me to loose weight. He is not a heavy man. We were to go to Vegas in that July. It was May. I knew all the walking involved and if I didn't do something, I was going to be miserable. It was May at the time I started.

I think if I had to lose the weight now, it might be harder for me then it was 6 years ago. I may be reaching a bit here on this theroy, but I'm looking at it at how I would feel if I was still 300lbs.

Everyone throws their opinions out there. Cut sugar, cut soda, cut white flour, cut snack foods, cut this meal, cut this food, don't eat after 6pm. It's ridiculous to me. I'd be terrified to read things like that constantly. One shouldn't expect an obese person to cut out everything at once. Their body would go into complete shock. There was no way I was going to go on a special "diet". I was going to lose the weight on my own and in my own way.

The first thing I did do was throw out any chips(I eat them now, just not the whole bag) I had laying around and candy. I used to keep a huge bowl of candy bars(funny, I don't even like chocolate now) and whatnot in the living room. That's all I did though. I had just baked a huge batch of cookies the day before I decided I had had enough. I didn't eat one of those cookies. My husband ate some and took the rest to work. I wasn't going to give up the foods I love. If I wanted noodles, I was gonna have noodles. The key was proportions.

I love food, who doesn't? I cut back on eating out, but I didn't stop it completely. I cut back eating after dinner, but not completely. I've read that if you have the calories left to eat, you can eat a snack at night(not a whopper meal..lol). It's not going to kill you. Who here is done eating dinner at 6pm nowadays? Half the people in the country probably don't get home till 7 at night and then have dinner. You can't expect to not eat after a certain time at night. If that's your thing, great, but if you can control the calories during the day, your fine to have a snack.

I used to bake A LOT. I've learned I don't have the patience anymore and I haven't baked in probably a year. I come from a lot of bakers in the family so it feels strange to not be one. If I do bake, it's a batch of cookies for my husband to take to work.

I exercised with an eliptical at first. I didn't try to kill myself the first day either. I did it for 15 minutes(though that felt like death..LOL). I did this for a week and then increased my time to 30 minutes. I didn't make it 30 minutes each day that following week, but made it the next week. That was a great accomplisment for me.

After about a month, we bought a home gym(nothing fancy). Hubby helped me with the weights till I could do it on my own. I'm so glad he got the weights, thanks to that, I don't have hanging skin. I alternated with the weights and eliptical from that point. Through it all I changed a lot of my workouts. I got bored fast. I always did weights up to about a year ago. My back couldn't take them much anymore. We also had a exercise bike throughout this as well.

When it came time for Vegas, I had dropped 20lbs and some inches as well. I felt great. 20lbs may not seem like a lot, but to a 300lb person, it's a ton! My clothes were baggy as well. I was nervous for Vegas, not having my exercise stuff. Well I managed fine. I knew how to eat now, and I actually lost weight there(tons of walking). I had shorts that didn't fit me when I left and they were too big when I got home.

Fast forward 3 years and I had lost 150lbs. It was awesome! Again, I ate whatever I wanted(and still do). I just learned not to eat gigantic proportions. I gave away 9 bags of clothes to Goodwill. That still shocks me today.

I have maintained my weight and couldn't be happier. I'm at my goal weight. Right now I do one dvd 5 days a week(and it's quite the workout) and it works for me. I don't go gangbusters anymore. I never really did. I used to workout for an hour every morning. There are plenty of dvd's out there for all ages and exercise programs for people with bad joints(if that is stopping you).

I will say it became an obsession for a bit, the weight part. If I gained a pound or something I would freak which is silly since it wasn't anything. I've got that under control now and I don't gain really anyway. I always allow myself a 5 pound gain on vacation and that rarely every happens.

I think one of the key things to losing weight is to have a support system. I couldn't have done it without my husband. He alway encouraged me and kept my spirits up when I felt down. He himself joined me and lost 20lbs and gained some muscle. He didn't ever look like he needed to lose 20lbs that's for sure. I have never felt better then I do today. It took 3 years, but it was worth it all in the end.
I had a ton of weight to lose at one point in my life too. Congratulations for your weight loss. It is hard but worth it in the end.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:55 AM

3 posts, read 15,928 times
hey ..
i have a tips for diet, especially for women.
see my blog...
health for live - Powered by CO.CC

Old 09-03-2008, 10:42 AM

225 posts, read 1,075,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
Warning! Watching this 12 minute documentary, may permanently alter your meat eating habit.

Meet Yout Meet (http://thecwexperience.vodpod.com/video/226108-meet-your-meat-great-documentary?c=sort.popularity - broken link) (Great Documentary)12 min 28 sec - Oct 20, 2006A great documentary showing the life of animals raised for food. This file has no copyright, so if you want, you can share it with your friends.
This video was just horrible. Although I probably won't stop eating meat I am appalled (sp?) at the autracities that are being done in this day and age. It makes you wonder if our forefathers were much kinder in the killing fields than we are today. I can understand a bigger mass market because of the increase of world population but still - is this method really neccessary these days? And the conditions that the animals have to "live" in!! Sometimes I feel PETA goes too far with their demonstrations but after watching this video I couldn't argue with their method to protest this kind of cruelty. I am not saying we need to give up milk or meats but there has to be a better way than what is currently happening. And the big question is why is the US Government still allowing this to happen or approving diseases on these animals that shouldn't be allowed in the first place?

I know it's "a dirty job and somebody has to do it" but not like this. Not in this kind of fashion. And not with all the stupid drug inducing chemicals injected into these animals which eventually gets back into us. My gawd, this is sickening. I guess one may call me a hypocrite for still eating meat or drinking milk. I don't know. I just feel there has to be a more humane way of carrying out the slaughter. This method is inexcuseable.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:56 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,994,804 times
Wandering_Spirit wrote:
I know it's "a dirty job and somebody has to do it" but not like this. Not in this kind of fashion. And not with all the stupid drug inducing chemicals injected into these animals which eventually gets back into us. My gawd, this is sickening. I guess one may call me a hypocrite for still eating meat or drinking milk. I don't know. I just feel there has to be a more humane way of carrying out the slaughter. This method is inexcuseable.
Let's get this straight. Nobody HAS to do it! For whatever reason, those doing this dirty job are CHOOSING to do it. No one is MAKING them do it.

In my eyes, you are not a hypocrite for recognizing what's happening and still choosing to eat meat. From the tone of your writing, I imagine that your meat eating days are numbered. Becomming a vegetarian is usually a gradual process, and it is totally voluntary. Nobody has to be a vegetarian. No one will force you or anyone else to become a vegetarian. It is a heart centered choice. I hope you choose it.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:30 PM

14 posts, read 137,851 times
Default enhanced foods

I think that the companies do add things to make you crave foods more, and with all the additives, make you gain weight, in the 70's it was not this bad. I try to eat mostly organic foods, I have been on weight watchers and used slim fast, and read all the information posted on DidYouDiet all have helped me lose weight but it always was a struggle, I always look for up to date information to keep ahead of the game. So far I have maintained.

Old 01-31-2009, 03:30 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,516,897 times
eating meat wrong, yes if not done like all the above posters said and without drugs. However God gaves us incisors (teeth) specifically there to eat meat. We do have a meat tooth in our mouths. I thought that this was an interesting way to look at it.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:14 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,683,111 times
nebulous - there is an old fable that animals and humans once shared the earth and were great friends and partners - that is until one person decided to feast on the flesh on an animal.

Humans then turned their backs on animals and began raising them for food (which has now lead to the factory farming issue)

Well, animals have now cursed humans with heart disease, liver disease, food poisoning, obesity etc.

That is their lesson to us - for turning on our friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
I have read so much about how Americans are overweight.
So many people are struggling with their weight, hypertension, insulin resistance, diabetes.

I have a theory. Maybe we aren't eating too much. Maybe we are more sedentary, but maybe that isn't it.

Maybe stress is a big factor with the hormones.

But maybe there is another thing. Our food supply. The animals we eat are now a product of factory farming. Gone are the smaller farms, where animals were outside, raised in a natural environment. Now, they are penned up, fattened up beyond the capacity for their legs sometimes. They are stressed and many treated cruelly. They are injected with growth hormones, antibiotics, and other drugs to keep them from getting sick, since they are so close together. There are many drugs they are given.
Dairy cows are kept pregnant, but their offspring do not nurse. Males become veal calves and females go to become more dairy cows. Dairy cows are given hormones to keep them producing milk.
None of our meat or dairy products are labeled with what the animals are given, yet we get these products in our food.
If chickens, pigs, and cows are given growth stimulators, perhaps these drugs are making us bigger too.
I had a friend, and her husband was a cardiac anesthesiologist. He said he would not eat animal products, because of what he saw. Maybe these hormonal and drug residues are winding up in us.
A lot of people do not want to face this, and ignore it and find it too unpleasant to deal with. I have written to some of the factory farms and said I will not buy their meat. I have a big problem with eating an animal that is treated cruelly, shoved into big trucks, fillled to capacity and terrorized. I bet if they could have scientists produce something with a brain stem and a lump of flesh that grows and could be harvested, they would.
Pigs are castrated at birth, their tails cut off, teeth cut down, without any anesthesia. Cows suffer horribly too. Veal is another sad product and forget the foie gras...jeesh.
The animals suffer horribly and they do feel pain, very much like we do. Many want to pretend that "they are just animals" and that they are on earth for us to eat and do what we want with them, but abuse is abuse.
I am not against eating meat. I am against this horror. Gone are the days when Porky lived on a farm and one day, the lights went off.
More people need to protest and boycott these industries. Soon, they will be producing cloned animals.
Do we really need all these hamburger and chicken places? Do people want quantity or quality, because what you are getting now could be what is making you sick or fat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss