Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 08:14 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times

Advertisements

I did keto twice, and I lost weight. I mean a real keto diet, less then 10 grams of carbs.

BUT, my arthritis flared up horribly, it was doing horrible things to my body.

Staying away from white processed foods is always a good idea, but carbs are not the enemy for most people. Good carbs come from veggies and whole grains (a wide selection) and legumes.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 08:29 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I did keto twice, and I lost weight. I mean a real keto diet, less then 10 grams of carbs.

BUT, my arthritis flared up horribly, it was doing horrible things to my body.

Staying away from white processed foods is always a good idea, but carbs are not the enemy for most people. Good carbs come from veggies and whole grains (a wide selection) and legumes.

I did Atkins twice, I lasted 6 months the first time and about 3 weeks the next. Both times I did lose some weight but I felt terrible. I also became disgusted with the food choices.
I did much better when I just focused on healthy fresh foods. Whole grains are essential for me.
There is no one way of eating that works for everyone. These posts that claim omitting most carbs fail to recognize that fact.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:37 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post

I did Atkins twice, I lasted 6 months the first time and about 3 weeks the next. Both times I did lose some weight but I felt terrible. I also became disgusted with the food choices.
I did much better when I just focused on healthy fresh foods. Whole grains are essential for me.
There is no one way of eating that works for everyone. These posts that claim omitting most carbs fail to recognize that fact.

Exactly. In a lot of ways I consider food my medicine, and all our bodies are different, so we require different food. DH requires much more protein than I do, so we adjust his diet accordingly. I am proud of him though, he was total keto (it's popular with guys), and he is eating veggie dinners 4-5 nights a week, and a small portion of fish or chicken breast with grains for lunch, the rest of the day (breakfast/snacks) veggie. His numbers are all better on his blood work.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-17-2017, 10:17 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Far too restrictive, I'd rather be overweight than subject my body to all of those restrictions. Overconsumption is the root of all evil.

I eat pasta (in fact, I ate spaghetti tonight), white rice, potatoes. I eat dessert. I eat smaller portions. 1 cup of pasta. 1 SMALL potato. 1 cup of rice. Is that a diet? Or rather "eating in moderation" and being aware of what I eat? My plate consists of one starch, veggie, and a meat.

I freely admit that I am active and that can mitigate SOME dietary "misdeeds", but not all. If I ever am forced to stop exercising, I'd just have to try and maintain on diet alone. I think I can eat 1800-2000 per day, no cheat days, and I'd be fine. Of course, I'd rather be active and earn my cheat days.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:24 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,114,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
WRONG.
Carbs are not the enemy. You can lose weight by eating from all the food groups as long as you focus on whole, fresh foods and stay away from prepackaged foods and junks foods. Calories should be watched to make sure you are burning more than you are eating.
Limiting carbs works for some, but not for all.
You can lose weight by staying away from whole, fresh foods and eating almost exclusively Twinkies as well. Works like a charm. Would I recommend it? No. But as you say, a calorie is a calorie.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:36 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
You can lose weight by staying away from whole, fresh foods and eating almost exclusively Twinkies as well. Works like a charm. Would I recommend it? No. But as you say, a calorie is a calorie.
Exactly. Its been done. I saw a program once where a teacher ate exclusively McDonalds, but kept the calories low and he lost weight. Of course neither Twinkies or McDonalds make for a good diet but it certainly makes the point of eating less calories than you consume as the gold standard for weight loss.

I know some people do quite well limiting carbs and a few even make it for extended periods of time. But avoiding certain common food choices tends to backfire on most people. They initially lose the weight, but then succumb to every day life and the food choices that go with and they end up gaining the weight back.

IMO learning to eat in a controlled manner from all the food groups is a better approach for long term life changes and choices.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:45 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Far too restrictive, I'd rather be overweight than subject my body to all of those restrictions. Overconsumption is the root of all evil.
That's what's great. You don't want to eat what some of us eat, we don't want to eat the items you eat. No big deal. Everyone settles into the plan that keeps them healthy and at a good weight.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
That's what's great. You don't want to eat what some of us eat, we don't want to eat the items you eat. No big deal. Everyone settles into the plan that keeps them healthy and at a good weight.
Did I ever impose or for that matter strongly suggest my diet to others though? I don't recall doing that. I will refute the claim that if you eat X you will lose weight, because as long as there's a caloric deficit, you can eat however you want and lose weight. While I'm doing that, I'll also give my personal opinion that I find that diet (because that's what it is) restrictive and unappealing and I'd rather be fat instead of following it.

Yet there's always posts preaching a person's diet like it's a mantra, which is contrary to "everyone settles into the plan that keeps them healthy and at a good weight".

Old 09-18-2017, 10:24 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post

I eat pasta (in fact, I ate spaghetti tonight), white rice, potatoes. I eat dessert. I eat smaller portions. 1 cup of pasta. 1 SMALL potato. 1 cup of rice. Is that a diet? Or rather "eating in moderation" and being aware of what I eat? My plate consists of one starch, veggie, and a meat.

I freely admit that I am active and that can mitigate SOME dietary "misdeeds", but not all. If I ever am forced to stop exercising, I'd just have to try and maintain on diet alone. I think I can eat 1800-2000 per day, no cheat days, and I'd be fine. Of course, I'd rather be active and earn my cheat days.

I read some of your before and after thread on your weight loss, so did you eat all those carbs and was able to take off all the weight with a lot of exercise.

Old 09-18-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I read some of your before and after thread on your weight loss, so did you eat all those carbs and was able to take off all the weight with a lot of exercise.
Yes. Though it can be done without a lot of exercise. The key to my weight loss was balancing calories eaten and calories burned. If I didn't exercise, then the reliance would have to be on calories eaten. I've found that you can eat what you like as long as you stay within a caloric range. The fitness apps are helpful in giving you a ballpark figure. The kicker, as expected, is that if you eat high calorie garbage that doesn't give much in return, then that isn't a wise choice. So I don't eat honey buns, snack foods and garbage all of the time, bc the nutritional payoff isn't there. But there are times when I want that stuff, and I just eat it. I just manage my calories to accommodate it. The best thing I can say I've done is learn portion control and learning to eat in moderation. Finding contentment in eating just a cup of pasta though I can easily eat two, eat one small potato or one half of a large one, eating more veggies, eating one serving of meat instead of several. Yes, I used to think one chicken breast was the entire thing when it's really two halves and one half is a serving. I don't need that much food in order to go through the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss