Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 08:17 PM

983 posts, read 1,180,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Curious to know how long you have been avoiding all of the above and if you have reached your goal weight by this approach?
I started back in feb this year at around 275

Got down to my low of around 232 6 weeks or so ago

Have kinda gotten off track alittle and gained maybe 5lbs back over the past 6 weeks

Had reached a stall and knew it was not the right thing to do in press it.

better to step away and regroup and let my body kinda stabilize and then re-approach things moving forward over the winter when I can be more focused and monitor my diet / food better when its not the hectic summer months of being at multiple friends houses BBQs etc etc ...

Still laying off the majority of carbs but will have the occasional rice with teriyaki or the occasional baked potato with dinner once every few weeks.

No breads and no pastas

I am sure a few summertime beers accounted for a lot of those 5-6 lbs I packed back on

Never had an actual goal number in mind. Just wanted to hit 210-220 or so and see how I looked and felt

I am 6'1 and very muscular so getting to sub 200 is just not healthy or possible for me as I would be losing a lot of muscle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 12:18 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I am not making any kind of medical claim but I have known several people with fibromyalgia which I understand is nerve pain or overactive nerves. I have noticed that each of the people I have met who have this disease have been on very low carb diets and limited their grain products at some time in their lives. It is my opinion that the nothing white type diets are unhealthy. I don't think it is ever healthy to do away with any food group. Go to a website like the Mayo Clinic and follow the guidelines for portion control.

Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight Pyramid tool - Mayo Clinic
Click on "I want to lose weight" and take it from there.
I agree. Also, when one goes for any length of time severely limiting carbs (such as keto or Artkins), their bodies lose the ability to metabolize carbs, and it is not healthy long term. I read an article about it recently, but unfortunately don't have the link, but if I find it I will post it here.

Old 09-28-2017, 05:46 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
I started back in feb this year at around 275

Got down to my low of around 232 6 weeks or so ago

Have kinda gotten off track alittle and gained maybe 5lbs back over the past 6 weeks

Had reached a stall and knew it was not the right thing to do in press it.

better to step away and regroup and let my body kinda stabilize and then re-approach things moving forward over the winter when I can be more focused and monitor my diet / food better when its not the hectic summer months of being at multiple friends houses BBQs etc etc ...

Still laying off the majority of carbs but will have the occasional rice with teriyaki or the occasional baked potato with dinner once every few weeks.

No breads and no pastas

I am sure a few summertime beers accounted for a lot of those 5-6 lbs I packed back on

Never had an actual goal number in mind. Just wanted to hit 210-220 or so and see how I looked and felt

I am 6'1 and very muscular so getting to sub 200 is just not healthy or possible for me as I would be losing a lot of muscle
Good for you. It's not tough to go thru life without bread and pastas.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:22 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
For me it is. Pasta and good bread are one of life's great pleasures. No need to cut them out of a healthy diet. I have successfully lost weight by eating both. I continue to eat both and maintain my weight. I don't think excluding food groups is a realistic way to eat in the long run.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:03 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,644,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Curious to know how long you have been avoiding all of the above and if you have reached your goal weight by this approach?
I am at goal and I just have no desire for carbs. I will have a sugar free candy (Russell Stover sugar free w/Stevia), make cloud bread I spread with a little peanut butter, etc.

LCHF has been magical - no crazy foods, no killing myself at the gym, zero hunger and minimalized cravings.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:26 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
actually for me, it would be very tough. The only way I'd do that is if I was diagnosed with a disorder such as diabetes and even then, I'd restrict not eliminate.

I eat rice, pasta, beans and potatoes very frequently will no ill effects.

I go to the gym to maintain my weight and continue getting stronger.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:27 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironplanch View Post
Ihumans don't need to eat bread, pasta, sugar or potatoes. We can obtain vitamins, fiber and even healthy carbs from other sources.
I agree. Humans don't need those kinds of foods and really shouldn't be eating them in the first place. Humans want is another story. Many people confuse the two. The old "Food Pyramid" has been debunked.

Quote:
I Eat healthy vegetables. They still have carbs but not in large quantities. I Eat nuts for snacks and protein bars. I Learned to make 2 minute mug cakes with coconut and/or almond flour. I Add sugar free jelly and cottage cheese if I really want a treat(I just don't do it every day) I also think it's ok to eat beans 1 or 2 times a week. Beans like nuts also have protein and they are not as bad for our metabolism.
Are you diabetic or just low carb? They are obviously interlinked. The idea for low-carbers is also to keep blood sugar low to prevent weight gain. Have you tried Flax Seed for the mug cakes? I am just hooked on them now. They have close to zero net carbs.

One Minute Flax Muffin - Low Carb Recipe - Genius Kitchen

There are many variations on the muffin. You can add nuts and/or berries.

Beans do have a low Glycemic Index and a moderate Glycemic Load meaning they raise blood sugar slowly and not super high. I eat beans which contain a good amount of carbs. So it's not just about the carbs but how they affect blood sugar. One of the worst besides sugar and wheat is potatoes. Also, as far as the sugar free jelly, read the ingredients. Just because they are sugar free does not mean they do not spike your blood sugar. Not all sweeteners are created equal.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:58 AM

People around the world eat pasta, rice (white rice even -the horror!) bread, and other types of those darned icky carbs and maintain their weight just fine. Demonizing these foods is really not good idea. Most people will not be able to forgo them for a lifetime and by making them taboo creates a desire for them even more. People in France star their morning with bread. Italians eat pasta. Asians live off of rice and noodles. These foods themselves do not create an unhealthy lifestyle or make people obese. Overeating and a sedentary lifestyle make people obese.
A lot of people here do great with limiting their carbs and I am not going to knock it if it works for you. But these blanket statements about these kind of carbs is not helpful in the long run.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:09 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
It's not about demonizing. I haven't heard any of us doing so in this thread. Some of us just do better removing these foods from our diet. It's just a much easier way for us to control our weight. If I eat a lot of ecarbs and I want to eat more 20 minutes later

I ate carbs until it didn't work for me. My joints were killing me and I was not even that overweight. Like I said before I just couldn't stop gaining weight. I have thyroid problems but I take medicine. It's just my age and genetics. I'm not gonna give up a pain free body for a piece of bread.
I think the issue is that the average joe who seeks diet advice stumbles upon all of these low carb postings and thinks that they HAVE to give up carbs and that somehow carbs are this evil that causes America's waistlines to keep getting bigger. That is not true. You can choose to eat carbs and still lose weight. If you have a disorder that's one thing, but if you don't, then eating moderate amounts of carbs is not a bad thing. I don't have bad skin or any of the plethora of things that are attributed to eating carbohydrates. I'm not a unique person either.

I have arthritis, but it wasn't caused by eating carbs. It was caused by being fat period. I ate too much of everything and I gained weight. The moment I reduced my caloric intake and added exercise into my life, the pain stopped and I manage my arthritis without the use of any medications. Not moving, not carbs, causes my knee pain. You'd do your body a big favor exercising, whether you're overweight or not. As we get older there's little margin for error and being "lazy".

I don't have that constant hunger because I pair my carbs with fat and protein and have a complete meal. Eating just protein won't fill me up either. It has to be balanced with something else.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
It's not about demonizing. I haven't heard any of us doing so in this thread. Some of us just do better removing these foods from our diet. It's just a much easier way for us to control our weight. If I eat a lot of ecarbs and I want to eat more 20 minutes later

I ate carbs until it didn't work for me. My joints were killing me and I was not even that overweight. Like I said before I just couldn't stop gaining weight. I have thyroid problems but I take medicine. It's just my age and genetics. I'm not gonna give up a pain free body for a piece of bread.
I understand that removing some carbs can be very helpful for some people. But you haven't been paying attention if you think there are not people on this forum that demonize carbs.
Eliminating carbs is not the panacea as some people think it is. There are a more than a few of us here who have lost weight successfully and kept it off eating all those carbs.
It is an individual road we all must travel to see what works for us. I guess I am just getting weary of, 'the only way to lose weight is to cut carbs' anthem. It is simply not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss