Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 10:42 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,470,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironplanch View Post
Thanks, I didn't know that. I don't eat jelly that often, like once a week or twice a month.

Just lowcarb, but I'm happy with my changes since I live with someone who is pre-diabetic. We received some food brochure which I read very carefully several years ago and I did realize how small the carb portions were. I just did not implement the changes back them. I just got desperate because I couldn't stop the weight gain and didn't know what what's going on. I didn't feel like I was overeating that much. I didn't have major weight problem when I was younger but when I turned 40 it really went downhill. I really don't know how these high barb foods after my blood sugar because I don't need to measure my sugar but I do read labels and calculate the net carbs(carbs - fiber). I just know my blood sugar is more stable because I don't feel hungry all the time like before.

It's not really that difficult once you stop eating those foods on a regular basis. You just have to discover other vegetables and make sure you eat enough fat. I was one of those who used to say I couldn't live without potatoes but I don't miss them now.
It's cause and effect. It's not the carbs themselves but what effect they have and that is to increase blood sugar.

High(er) blood sugar increases insulin levels and that is what causes weight gain and other health problems like inflammation and hypertension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 11:59 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Most Americans don't eat a "moderate" amount of carbs. Let's get real.

Like I said before I eat carbs I just don't get them from high glycemic foods like bread, potatoes, pasta, bake goods or candy. I get them from many vegetables, legumes and some dairy.

I'll exercise when I feel ready. I never said carbs cause pain, eating excessive carbs causes overweight in many people which can cause joint pain.

It seems you just want to prove us wrong but you can't so you are changing my words. Find me any link that says a diet without bread, pasta and potatoes is dangerous and then we will talk. So if some of us can live without them... What's the big deal? If you want to eat your high glycemic carbs, go ahead. I can find hundreds of links from reputable sources that state their impact on blood sugar is not good. However if your blood sugar is ok who am I to tell you your diet is wrong?

If you can control their portions and combine them with protein to lower their impact on your blood good for you. Those foods cause me food cravings. I will reincorporate rice and corn in very moderate amounts in the future but I don't see why I would need to eat bread or potatoes ever again. Pasta I never liked. I'm posting my experience for those who are considering alternatives. It is not that difficult to stop eating high glycemic carbs because after a week or so you stop craving all that sugar.

Whoa pardner. You can dial back the defense.

I'm very real. Most Americans don't eat a moderate amount of anything. We aren't fat because we eat too much carbs.

I'm neither changing your words nor trying to prove a thing. Nowhere in my post did I state that you should eat more carbs or eat what I eat. It's not my body. And nowhere in my post did I state that low carb diets were "dangerous". Please post where I said that. I stated my views on the matter as a counterpoint and, just like you, posted for those considering alternatives. I'm posting for those who don't want to (or can't) give up eating carbs in order to lose weight. You don't have to, I'm proof of that. It's a given that what worked for me isn't for everyone and whatever it takes to get you to achieve your goal, then like you said, who am I to tell you that your diet is wrong"? (which I never did).

While you took offense, my exercise suggestion was of good intent. People ask me all of the time what was my "secret" to losing 70+ pounds. I tell them diet and exercise. I'm not all that young either and I know that being sedentary is not the way to go. I'm passionate about exercise because it has made a very big difference in my life. I am far stronger and fit now in my 40s than I ever was. Exercise has (and continues to be) a life changing experience for me so yes, I will encourage as many of my fellow dieters to exercise if they are able. If that is offensive, then my apology.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:05 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
What always gets me is the lack of differentiation between bad carbs and good.

Someone who is eating a lot of white carbs versus whole grains (farro, spelt, quinoa, etc.).
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-29-2017, 05:33 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

Someone who is eating a lot of white carbs versus whole grains (farro, spelt, quinoa, etc.).
Good point. The no carb set will indeed lump them together. The grains you mentioned are great, full of nutrients and fiber. They should be included in a healthy diet.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I'm not offended I just don't like when people change my words. I am not demonizing carbs or blaming them for my joint pain. I'm blaming my excessive consumption of high glycemic carbs which caused me to gain weight and then worsened my joint pain

I know exercise is great for the body/mind. I'm just not ready yet. I exercised a lot during my younger years and maybe I just need a better relationship with physical activity because I get tired just thinking about it. I have a lot of fatigue because of my anemia and hypothyroidism. I need to schedule my day better and find time to walk at least an hour.
Are you on the right medication for both anemia and your thyroid? I have both and I took an iron supplement that canceled out my thyroid med. Learned that through my endocrinologist.
Thyroid and anemia are treatable with medication and should not be slowing you down if you are on the right meds. I have Hashimoto's, which is very common, especially in women and it is very treatable. It has never hampered my weight.

2,085 posts, read 2,140,012 times
Its not the carbs, its the rate at which your body processes them into sugars...low glycemic carbs will do the trick

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post

Exactly, Mikala. To me there is a HUGE difference in someone who is eating things like chips, fries, white mashed potatoes, processed cereals etc. and say eating sprouted grain bread, boiled potatoes with skins, whole grains like quinoa, brown rice, legumes, etc. To me even sugar isn't bad if it is small amounts of real maple syrup, coconut sugar, molasses, honey, etc.

The TYPE of carbs differs as much as TYPE of fats people eat. Even sugars. I believe in sticking to more "natural" foods - I eat small amounts of carbs and sweets, but I eat healthier versions of those and do NOT eat Twinkies, wonder bread, etc. Carbs themselves are not the devil for most people, but processed ones certainly are bad for just about anyone.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't blame my underactive thyroid for the overweight either because I had it for years and it didn't really affect my weight before. I'm just older. I think I need to be more careful with my iron supplements.
I was surprised to learn that the iron supplement I was taking was cancelling out my thyroid medication. If you can take the the thyroid meds and the iron supplements at least 8 hours apart you will be fine.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:05 PM

9,850 posts, read 7,718,719 times
I don't remember anyone saying NO carbs.

Don't want to argue, just saying that when people are watching their total carb intake, they tend to choose high quality carbs like vegetables and real whole grains to get to their daily amount.

No one is getting rid of the "carb" food group, just being choosier on which ones we eat.

If some of you can still lose by eating breads, pasta, popcorn, snack bars, rice, etc, that's fine.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:23 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Some of us don't know the word moderation. I will eat a full pot of boiled potatoes with skins. I just eat potatoes and want more 5 minutes later.
I was one of those people too. I am, by nature, a binge eater. It's not pleasant.

Learning moderation wasn't easy. I had to train my body to accept moderation. Just like folks who are into low carb had to train their body to eat less carbs. We as individuals know what we can and cannot accept. Some people can give up things more than others. Going from eating two cups of pasta to one was hard. Eating a small potato and not a giant one was hard. Eating meat the size of a deck of cards was hard, instead of giant sized portions. It was hard and it was hell.

I'm not saying any of this to fight with you. I'm saying this as a fellow person who is getting older (or is older) and was confronted with a weight problem. I was confronted with over 70 lbs and I was 40 years old. I had high blood pressure and arthritis, conditions you'd associate with much older people. I'm combative for sure, but here, on this forum, I really do want to encourage people rather than discourage. I am happy that you (and other low carb dieters) are finding that mojo. And I say that with sincerity. Again, as someone who was confronted with a weight problem, whatever it takes to get there.

AFter dealing with the "don't eat this or that" and restrictive diets, I had enough. I wanted to eat what made me happy, and not force myself to like something when I didn't. I wanted something that I could do for the long haul and make as a habit. I guess I'm anti-restriction. My belief is that if you like X food, why not. Go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss