Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 08:52 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironplanch View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't blame my underactive thyroid for the overweight either because I had it for years and it didn't really affect my weight before. I'm just older. I think I need to be more careful with my iron supplements.
Don’t take iron with your thyroid meds! Wait at least 4 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 09:07 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
I lost 500+ pounds over a long period of time with a complete lifestyle change and the only things I *gave up* was fast food and pop and the only exercise I added and it took me months to get to that point was walking 2 miles daily and I do not mean fast walking, I walked my normal pace.
I ate what I wanted when I wanted I just ate less of it, no pills, no surgery, no programs, no excessive exercise, no jogging, no gym membership, just me, myself, I and my lifestyle change. It has been more than 15 years and I gained 15 pounds when I started menopause, when it was over I lost 20 pounds.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:48 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,813,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I lost 500+ pounds over a long period of time with a complete lifestyle change and the only things I *gave up* was fast food and pop and the only exercise I added and it took me months to get to that point was walking 2 miles daily and I do not mean fast walking, I walked my normal pace.
I ate what I wanted when I wanted I just ate less of it, no pills, no surgery, no programs, no excessive exercise, no jogging, no gym membership, just me, myself, I and my lifestyle change. It has been more than 15 years and I gained 15 pounds when I started menopause, when it was over I lost 20 pounds.
Great achievement. What will power and common sense will do for you. You are of course a very big exception. Your mind was set I would imagine, as to succeeding no matter how long it took. That kind of motivation is hard to come by. That is the absolute hardest part to losing weight, but really the only key to success.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:53 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckyd609 View Post
Great achievement. What will power and common sense will do for you. You are of course a very big exception. Your mind was set I would imagine, as to succeeding no matter how long it took. That kind of motivation is hard to come by. That is the absolute hardest part to losing weight, but really the only key to success.
Thank you and the best part of it all, I did it for myself by myself.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:18 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,486,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Really? It gets easier after menopause? I didn't realize that, I thought the changes with menopause were permanent. That's good news. That is, if I EVER get done with menopause it will be good news.

I didn't gain, but it does take more effort to stay at my normal weight. So now I'm looking forward to eating more again in a few years.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:24 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,661,223 times
I've tried numerous diets with mixed results.

Weight Watchers allowed me to lose around 30 lbs, but trying to maintain that lifestyle permanently wasn't doable for us and not long after the weight came back.

I originally went to Atkins after that and lost 40 lbs but my wife refused to try it and since we were having to cook two sets of meals each day (her normal menu plus my keto menu) I eventually gave up. I controlled the weight for quite a while until I broke my leg in a rafting accident and couldn't walk for almost 2 years. The weight came back and I lived with it for a while.

Recently I talked with her and she decided to give a keto diet a try. She likes it even more than I, and in the past month we have lost about 18 lbs each. This way of eating seems to work best for us. I don't particularly like the taste of bread or potatoes so eating foods rich in protein and higher in fat but low in carbs works best for us.

We both have loads more energy than we have ever had on any other diet. We did go through a week of plateau where we were struggling to maintain weight loss so we took a cheat meal and had 2 slices of pizza from our local pizza place where we had frequented in the past. That seemed to re-start the weight loss but it made me sick in the process. I was miserable for the rest of the evening and most of the next day, presumably from a carb overload.

We are slowly introducing some carbs into the diet (about to ramp up to 40g per day) to begin to slow the weight loss and move into a balancing phase. Even then most of our carbs will come from vegetables, nuts, fruit, etc... Bread and potatoes seem to be the thing that really throws us off.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post

Weight Watchers allowed me to lose around 30 lbs, but trying to maintain that lifestyle permanently wasn't doable for us and not long after the weight came back.

I originally went to Atkins after that and lost 40 lbs but my wife refused to try it and since we were having to cook two sets of meals each day (her normal menu plus my keto menu) I eventually gave up. I controlled the weight for quite a while until I broke my leg in a rafting accident and couldn't walk for almost 2 years. The weight came back and I lived with it for a while.

Recently I talked with her and she decided to give a keto diet a try. She likes it even more than I, and in the past month we have lost about 18 lbs each. This way of eating seems to work best for us. I don't particularly like the taste of bread or potatoes so eating foods rich in protein and higher in fat but low in carbs works best for us.

We both have loads more energy than we have ever had on any other diet. We did go through a week of plateau where we were struggling to maintain weight loss so we took a cheat meal and had 2 slices of pizza from our local pizza place where we had frequented in the past. That seemed to re-start the weight loss but it made me sick in the process. I was miserable for the rest of the evening and most of the next day, presumably from a carb overload.

We are slowly introducing some carbs into the diet (about to ramp up to 40g per day) to begin to slow the weight loss and move into a balancing phase. Even then most of our carbs will come from vegetables, nuts, fruit, etc... Bread and potatoes seem to be the thing that really throws us off.
Bread and potatoes are my nemesis too. Unlike you, I love the taste of them but I have to cut them out of my everyday diet and only have them for an occasional treat meal.

I still eat whole grains every day like Ezekiel breads and tortillas, home cooked faro, black rice, beans, etc and I do fine with that as long as I don't eat starchy carbs at every meal.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:46 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,661,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
Bread and potatoes are my nemesis too. Unlike you, I love the taste of them but I have to cut them out of my everyday diet and only have them for an occasional treat meal.

I still eat whole grains every day like Ezekiel breads and tortillas, home cooked faro, black rice, beans, etc and I do fine with that as long as I don't eat starchy carbs at every meal.

Oh believe me, when I started this journey I loved bread, pasta, any type of potato, etc..

It was only after I cut them out of my diet that I began to find the taste unpalatable.

I was huge on French fries, tortillas, naan bread, etc... I tried one of my son's fries the other night and almost couldn't swallow it. I was pretty surprised (yet relieved) that I could no longer stomach it.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Oh believe me, when I started this journey I loved bread, pasta, any type of potato, etc..

It was only after I cut them out of my diet that I began to find the taste unpalatable.

I was huge on French fries, tortillas, naan bread, etc... I tried one of my son's fries the other night and almost couldn't swallow it. I was pretty surprised (yet relieved) that I could no longer stomach it.
That has happened to me too. After about 2 years of eating healthy I'd try something I'd been craving like Albertson's carrot cake and I'd be SO disappointed. I thought maybe they changed their recipe until I noticed it happening with more and more things I used to love. Ding dongs, Mother's frosted animal cookies, fettucine alfredo, any candy bars, etc. I haven't eaten any of those things in a decade.

I do still eat goodies, but it's home made stuff that I make delicious. The time and effort it takes to bake and clean up naturally limits how much of this I eat.

Unfortunately, I do still like easily obtainable stuff like french fries, tater tots, and sourdough bread. Hmmm, I'll have to pay attention the next time I indulge. Maybe it's not the flavor I love but the heavy starch rush.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:34 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,469,203 times
Quote:

Congrats on your loss. Weight Watchers is an ok diet but I found myself hungry while on it. It ended up being too low calorie for me, so this time around I didn't start any named diet and employed calorie management. Downloaded a fitness app and made food choices based on my caloric budget. I do enjoy carbs of all kinds, so I eat them. I just eat less food overall. I've found that pairing meat or nuts with a carb works best for satiety, except for volume snacks like popcorn that fill me up for several hours.

I've found cheat meals (or in my case, cheat days) to be absolutely crucial. has kept me sane throughout the entire weight loss. Can't say I'd do any better healthwise not having them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss