Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 01:33 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Do you have a medical reason for doing all that recordkeeping, or are you just that interested in your intake? I'd like to have better track of the calories involved in what I eat, too, but it seems like tons of work to look up every single thing I eat and find out the calories, etc., or is there an easier way to do it?
Doing a food journal on myfitnesspal takes less than 15 minutes a day. All you do is pick your food from drop down lists and the app knows all the calories and nutrients. There are no excuses to not track calories if one wants to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 01:37 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I prefer eating a low carb healthy fat plan as it, to me, preferable to having diabetes, losing my eyesight or having my limbs removed. My brother passed this year due to complications of diabetes, and that sold me.

Never felt better.
Sounds like a good plan. Who wants to be challenged with diabetes and it can be avoided. I could eat everything for about the first 50 yrs of my life as I burned it OFF with all the dancing and exercising I did...but now, I keep to a very low carb intake way of eating and don't LOVE breads and pastas and some say they do. I like most foods, but Love them, don't think so.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:49 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,477,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Do you have a medical reason for doing all that recordkeeping, or are you just that interested in your intake? I'd like to have better track of the calories involved in what I eat, too, but it seems like tons of work to look up every single thing I eat and find out the calories, etc., or is there an easier way to do it?
No medical reason. I just want to make sure I don't overeat and tracking my calories in a food diary is a great way of doing so. Do you use smart phones? They have an app called fitnesspal and it's a great tool to track everything you eat. You simply scan the barcode of the things you eat and most of the time it pops up, then you select your serving size and submit it. It's not hard at all. It will track it for you that way. It will also track your exercise for you. It's a really good app. You can also use the computer with fitnesspal, but then you can't scan your food in. But you can still log stuff by just searching the name in their food data base. Also, buy a a food scale. They are cheap but good i order to be accurate. You be amazed how fast and easy it will be after you are used to it.
Check it out, it's hard to explain here.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:13 PM

4,605 posts, read 3,297,213 times
Thanks!

Old 09-19-2017, 08:56 PM

1,098 posts, read 901,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
No, it's always calories in, calories out. There can be factors that influence that obviously. Exercise and activity level, age, stress, lack of sleep, medicine, injury or illness, temperature and humidity... there's a myriad of factors that affect calories out. It's still a simple as calories in, calories out though.
Nope, not that simple. Some foods will give you much better energy and a sense of well being--> in turn, your activity level, sleep, time ill, medicine required etc. is going to be much improved. You're much more likely to be in great shape on 2,000 calories of whole foods than 2,000 calories of McDonald's

In fact, a person eating 2,000 daily calories of whole foods for a year will be a COMPLETELY different person from one who eats 2,000 daily calories of soda and junk food. The person eating 2,000 calories of whole foods per day will be leaner, they'll be mentally sharper, they'll be happier and they'll probably be lighter- Happier well nourished people tend to move more, sleep better, be less stressed, make better decisions, take less medicine, stick to workout plans and have a better metabolism- How can you say that it's only about calories in vs. calories out? It's clearly not. It's one big circle, everything is connected. If you want to be in good health you must eat nourishing foods. Calories in vs. calories out is only one part of the puzzle.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:04 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
I am not making any kind of medical claim but I have known several people with fibromyalgia which I understand is nerve pain or overactive nerves. I have noticed that each of the people I have met who have this disease have been on very low carb diets and limited their grain products at some time in their lives. It is my opinion that the nothing white type diets are unhealthy. I don't think it is ever healthy to do away with any food group. Go to a website like the Mayo Clinic and follow the guidelines for portion control.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...s/itt-20084941
Click on "I want to lose weight" and take it from there.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:17 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I am not making any kind of medical claim but I have known several people with fibromyalgia which I understand is nerve pain or overactive nerves. I have noticed that each of the people I have met who have this disease have been on very low carb diets and limited their grain products at some time in their lives. It is my opinion that the nothing white type diets are unhealthy. I don't think it is ever healthy to do away with any food group. Go to a website like the Mayo Clinic and follow the guidelines for portion control.

Mayo Clinic Healthy Weight Pyramid tool - Mayo Clinic
Click on "I want to lose weight" and take it from there.
Odd you should mention that, and odder that it never crossed my mind.

I had fibro and now it's gone. I'm pretty heavy on whole grains (farro, spelt, etc) and legumes and my fibro has gone away. It did kick in while dating my husband who used to be keto..... so that would have been my dinners.... I've always been more veggie /grain kind of diet.

Something to think about.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-19-2017, 09:52 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
At this point I've stopped religiously tracking and I just go by if I gain a little or lose or stay the same. I have an acceptable weight range. I do go back to tracking when I have a specific goal and it is interesting to know just how much I actually consume and what I think I'm eating. I've discovered that I've probably never eaten fewer than 1400 calories. At my all time least amount consumed, it was probably 1500. I eat about that, 1500-1600 most days of the week, with one day of eating probably double that. I burn probably 1500 calories or more in a week as well, not including strength training.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:30 AM

983 posts, read 1,180,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
I think everyone has to find what works for them. For me - carbs are the enemy. I feel SO much better when I cut out bread, rice, pasta, sweets, etc. I have more energy and can keep the weight off if I stick with low carb.
I am in the same camp as you

Carbs tend to bloat me and I have a hard time limiting my portions when I am exposed to a carb laden meal.
I am single so having a loaf of sourdough bread or a pot full of pasta or spaghetti or a pack of dinner rolls is the kiss of death to me.

I will eat them all so as not to waste the food.

Therefore I just keep those food choices away from my home ( no taters bread pastas or rice in my home to cook or prepare )

If I do get the carb urge I can always get something to eat out or purchase a single spud from the store.

Bread is just something I do not purchase and bring home. Its just too easy to incorporate a slice or 2 of bread into multiple meals thru out the day if you have it laying around.

Old 09-26-2017, 11:50 AM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrkAliteN View Post
I am in the same camp as you

Carbs tend to bloat me and I have a hard time limiting my portions when I am exposed to a carb laden meal.
I am single so having a loaf of sourdough bread or a pot full of pasta or spaghetti or a pack of dinner rolls is the kiss of death to me.

I will eat them all so as not to waste the food.

Therefore I just keep those food choices away from my home ( no taters bread pastas or rice in my home to cook or prepare )

If I do get the carb urge I can always get something to eat out or purchase a single spud from the store.

Bread is just something I do not purchase and bring home. Its just too easy to incorporate a slice or 2 of bread into multiple meals thru out the day if you have it laying around.
Curious to know how long you have been avoiding all of the above and if you have reached your goal weight by this approach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss