Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 12:45 PM

610 posts, read 1,295,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Sorry I don't understand what you mean about 10 lbs. I want to lose 20. I've been doing the 30 day shred and I have cut out all soda to start.
Sorry...typo about the lbs...

So by shred I'm guessing something similar to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbdCT...eature=related

If so, I'd say you're well-off when it comes to training program. When/if you have been doing it for a while(say 2 months~) you might want to advance it to keep challenging yourself. (otherwise your body may adjust and you'll get stuck at a certain weight...)

Nothing like training in the morning:

A trick I use during cutting periods (cutting=losing fat slowly while keeping maximum ammount of muscle) is to exercise before breakfast. The reason for this is that there is comparatively little carbs in your blood and cells which means that the body will be more prone to using calories from the fat reserves to preform the workout. But, you take a gram or two of simple carbs to trigger this process, because the body is also more prone to burn fat if it "thinks" that there is plenty of energy to go around, which simple carbs "indicate". I'm not going to explain this more thorough with all mechanisms etc, simply because it's not needed.
Important!: VERY small dose. MAX a quarter of a teaspoon. otherwise the more you put in, the more you have to burn to get the fatbound calories burned, and then you're better off skipping this.

Diet:
Cutting out soda is a good start, but soda alone is unfortunately seldom enough. I suggest that you bring a small pen and notepad with you for a week, write down 1:what, 2:when and 3:approximately how much you eat, including snacks, fruits, all meals, nighttime sandwich etc.

When this is done you can see about when you consume simple/complex carbs and saturated/nonsaturated/hydrogenated/nonhydrogenated fats. this will help you see how you might modify recepies, what things to skip etc. By the way here is a link on good info on fat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgjxPH_jaJk
The woman explains what too look for and avoid pretty well.

About carbs:
Simple carbs are differet kinds of sugars, while complex carbs can be found in for example potatoes(that you have boiled in water, not fried in oil). The chemical bonds in complex carbs will tolerate the boilingpoint of water, but they will break at higher temperatures and divide into simple carbs.

Remember that the reason a meal at McDonalds is unhealthy is not just the ammount of fat and carbs, it's the kind of fats and carbs that it consists of...(otherwise people would eat half a dozen of the small burgers with a cup of water on the side and call it a healthy meal)

Some rules of thumb:
*Do not keep eating after you are already satisfied, a lot of people in families that have been poor in previous generations still do this...
*Always make sure to get your micronutrients. vitamins, minerals, omegas etc, this is what will keep your body working as a well-oiled calorieburning machine, and lack of these is directly counterproductive for anyone seeking any kind of health.
*If you have not eaten food of at least 6 different colors during a day, you need to add more and different kinds of veggies.
*If your exercise program got easier, it means you have to crank it up.
*try to get some greentea, chili and calcium through your diet, these are popular ingredients in fatburning supplements, and they wont make your calorie-intake rise by any noticable quantity.
*weigh yourself in the morning, prior to breakfast, otherwise your scale might be more generous or mean depending on it's mood
*Get at least as many grams of protein as you weigh in lbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 12:49 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,949,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
Food is not the enemy, longevity is not the goal... maximizing the experience that is life is what we should all be striving for. Being obese can definitely interfere with that... but so can being a nutrition or health freak.
REAL food is not the enemy. But FAKE food is. People who live longer also tend to live healthier as well. People who die young also tend to have a lot of chronic, long term illnesses before they die. It's not the either/or you're making it out to be.

Exercise is also part of a quality life. It doesn't have to be gotten at an expensive gym, either. It could be walking or riding your bike to do errands instead of driving everywhere, or taking the stairs at work instead of the elevator. People who exercise regularly tend to have better MENTAL and PHYSICAL health.

So, in general, people who live healthier lifestyles also tend to be happier. And a by-product of that is they also tend to live longer.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 10-20-2010 at 01:04 AM..

Old 10-20-2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Just thought I would add:

Chubby people live longest: Japan study
The majority of Americans are beyond chubby. Some of us are skinny. Very few of us are very skinny.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My brother in law and sister in law are prime examples of two obese people who get no pleasure from food, yet eat constantly. They are so absorbed with sugar substitutes, low fat foods, and ways of avoiding calories, that all they seem to eat are non-food foods. They're in heaven with a dessert made with with sugar free jello and fat free coolwhip...and they'll eat the whole thing in a day.
If they just ate normal foods, their bodies wouldn't always think they were starving, and they couldn't be any fatter.
Fake sugar and "fat free" foods really don't help much. They're still processed and they still don't make you feel full, so you eat a lot of them. We need to get back to eating 'real' food (fruits, nuts, whole grains (not bread/cereal with added sugar and bleached flour), vegetables).

I think you know this...I just wanted to clarify.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:33 AM

I forgot one thing in my post above: start counting your calories; otherwise you leave your success in the hands of luck basicly. it's a hassle to do it, but it's the only way to know instead of assume.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:41 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I just personally know alot of very heavy people who claim
they eat 1500 calories a day but I am around them when they eat
and each plate is 2000 calories and they go for seconds and then get dessert.
They are either kidding themselves or trying to kid others or truely
think that much food fits into 1500 calories per day.
Again..I don't care what anyones weight is...just
quit telling me I have skinny genes.. I work hard to be thin.
When I eat more and move less I gain weight.
Exactly, it's not a matter of "skinny genes," it's a matter of working your butt off. I work very hard to be where I am, muscular and athletic, and on top of that I eat healthy. I don't really love eating low sugar cereals every day, frankly I prefer Frosted Flakes and kids cereals, they taste way better, but I never buy that stuff anymore because that much sugar and extra calories just isn't healthy. And I'd rather look and feel great than get like 5 minutes of joy from eating sugar cereal

Frankly I'll be honest, I'd rather snack on Doritos and quite a few other good snacks I can think of, Goldfish, frozen foods like Bagel Bites, or whatever else, but instead I just buy a lot of fresh food and vegetables. I like fruit, it's good, vegetables are ok, but I'd prefer not to have them all of the time instead of better tasting snacks. Again, though, it is healthier and I have the willpower to do that because it's just food.

I can't believe for a second that someone eats 1,500 calories a day and somehow magically gains tons of weight despite working out. Where does the weight come from? That's my question. I know you guys aren't physics majors, but matter can neither be created nor destroyed. If 2,000 calories is roughly one pound, tell me, how can you gain 40 pounds of fat unless you CONSUME 40 x 2,000 calories MORE THAN you BURN? I mean it's really a very, very simple equation. If you burn more than you eat, you lose weight. If you eat more than you burn, you gain weight. It's not possible for pounds of fat to be just created out of nowhere. It can't just spring into existence, haha.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:38 AM

Great post JonathanLB
Actually it should be even more than that 1 gram of fat is 9 kcal, this means 9000 kcal/kg of weight which is routhly 2 lbs...

I get to hear that thing about the skinny genes too, but for some reason my entire family(except my young nephew) consists of overweight or obese people. Sure, my mother have lost 50 lbs by running 5-10kilomter/day but genome is simply not what keeps me in shape...and it's certainly not what's keeping my family heavy. It's their lazy unhealthy way of life and nothing else.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:33 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,010,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Exactly, it's not a matter of "skinny genes," it's a matter of working your butt off. I work very hard to be where I am, muscular and athletic, and on top of that I eat healthy. I don't really love eating low sugar cereals every day, frankly I prefer Frosted Flakes and kids cereals, they taste way better, but I never buy that stuff anymore because that much sugar and extra calories just isn't healthy. And I'd rather look and feel great than get like 5 minutes of joy from eating sugar cereal

Frankly I'll be honest, I'd rather snack on Doritos and quite a few other good snacks I can think of, Goldfish, frozen foods like Bagel Bites, or whatever else, but instead I just buy a lot of fresh food and vegetables. I like fruit, it's good, vegetables are ok, but I'd prefer not to have them all of the time instead of better tasting snacks. Again, though, it is healthier and I have the willpower to do that because it's just food.

I can't believe for a second that someone eats 1,500 calories a day and somehow magically gains tons of weight despite working out. Where does the weight come from? That's my question. I know you guys aren't physics majors, but matter can neither be created nor destroyed. If 2,000 calories is roughly one pound, tell me, how can you gain 40 pounds of fat unless you CONSUME 40 x 2,000 calories MORE THAN you BURN? I mean it's really a very, very simple equation. If you burn more than you eat, you lose weight. If you eat more than you burn, you gain weight. It's not possible for pounds of fat to be just created out of nowhere. It can't just spring into existence, haha.
Great post! I feel much the same way, especially with eating habits (what you would like to have vs. what you need to eat). And yes, it is true that you simply cannot eat merely 1500 calories and gain weight hand over fist. Even from a sedentary standpoint, with 1500 calories you might not lose weight, but you won't really gain either (most weight calculators put most folks in a sedentary situation "requiring" at least around 1600-2000 calories). With each pound weighing in at approximately 3500 pounds, you gotta figure they haven't met a Chinese buffet they haven't just loved!

What makes me laugh is when I see overweight people stack up on the so-called diet foods, and they think that is all they need to do to lose weight. They don't realize how badly maligned their metabolism is, or have any idea on how the body actually burns through the calories/carbs/fats. I often think they assume its just magic, and it will just work (kinda like those magic diet pills).

Ian

Old 11-02-2010, 02:05 AM

664 posts, read 855,484 times
i'm not grossly over weight. actually, i looks good. i love my shape. many people say i have a nice shape. LOL and my butt is awesome. my bf loves it. i do want to loss weight though. i just want to do it right because i am a recovering bulimic. so i really don't want to slip back into that. i pray to God i don't.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:40 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post

What makes me laugh is when I see overweight people stack up on the so-called diet foods, and they think that is all they need to do to lose weight.

Ian
That reminds me of my ex who used to eat a whole box of fat free Snackwell's cookies in one sitting and believed that was how to lose weight.

But I think some people must have skinny genes or something. How else can you explain the skinny Asian guy that seriously probably only weighed 110 lbs who I used to work with. He did not exercise yet he could eat 6 tacos from Jack In the Box or two Wendy's hamburgers and a cup of chili for lunch and he was always skinny. How do you do that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss