Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 07:05 PM

1,719 posts, read 4,182,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
But I think some people must have skinny genes or something. How else can you explain the skinny Asian guy that seriously probably only weighed 110 lbs who I used to work with. He did not exercise yet he could eat 6 tacos from Jack In the Box or two Wendy's hamburgers and a cup of chili for lunch and he was always skinny. How do you do that?
Fast metabolism. I have it too. I'm a 5'7 135 pound male who eats literally twice as much food as my friends who are 6'0 200 pounds. I just don't gain weight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 05:28 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Fast metabolism. I have it too. I'm a 5'7 135 pound male who eats literally twice as much food as my friends who are 6'0 200 pounds. I just don't gain weight.

Tell me about it! I am one of those people. I am now 138lbs and 6' 3", with a BMI of 17.2 That is actually my highest weight ever.

All health conditions were ruled out, apart from coeliac disease, so now I eat a gluten free diet and REALLY think I should gain weight. I counted my average calorie intake at 2,800 per day. And I still stayed at only 130lbs.

In my first semester at university, I weighed 126lbs! At 6 foot 3!

Old 10-03-2018, 05:44 AM

7 posts, read 3,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
Let's not lose sight of the fact that the obesity epidemic in this country has nothing - ok extremely little - to do with c-section deliveries, slowed metabolisms, etc and everything to do with poor nutrition, lack of exercise and general laziness.

Sportsgeek20 may not have stated it in the most PC way but much of the problem is about people making excuses.
From everything I have read, the global obesity crisis seems mostly due to the increased availability of food. Sure, we don't exercise as much, but we are geared to eat when food is available because only recently has food become so abundant (especially sugar). Exercise is important, but not because it helps us burn off all the calories. Exercise is a "keystone habit" that helps us dislodge other bad habits like overeating or mindless eating. It would be quite difficult for most people to willpower themselves to eat less. You have to give yourself some help through the use of some simple techniques. I learned these techniques in a book called Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Think by Brian Wansink, PhD. It's an entertaining book and the information in it is extremely effective. I've lost 27 lbs in the last year and kept it off using what I learned. Hope this was helpful.

Old 10-13-2018, 08:02 AM

6,300 posts, read 4,197,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaldo5000 View Post

That’s my husband. He struggles to try and put weight on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss