Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 07:47 AM

555 posts, read 1,653,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
I hope I won't be rude as english isn't my language but I read all 11 pages and the first thing that amazes me is that (I'm sorry if I've overlooked a post or two, maybe), I don't recall reading one testimony about food as a pleasure, something to enjoy, not an ennemy or glucids, and proteins and carbs (whatever they are?)...
I think a lot of people here seem to forget this...

In everything we do, we must always remember one thing... no one gets out of this alive.

Some people live life to maximize longevity... others to maximize enjoyment... but most look for a balance.

Hypothetical situation... you spend 1 hour a day at the gym, eat nothing but veggies, lean meats, and natural products... can't name a single product on the McDonald's value menu, would never dream of ordering an appetizer, and the thought of a huge plate of Nachos while watching the Super Bowl makes you want to throw up... you live to be 85 with a perfect body.

Someone else... doesn't go to the gym, eats what they want, when they want, is maybe 20 lbs overweight and lives to be 80.

Which person do you want to be? If you work out 1 hour a day, you spend 15 days a year working out, 20 days of awake time. If you're like most people (working 40 hours, commuting 5, sleeping 35), that's 12.5% of your free time. If you take away the time you spend getting ready in the morning, doing necessary chores, and other things that draw on our time, it's an even higher percentage of your discretionary time.

So when you're lying there in your last days and hours... which do you think are the better memories... all that time spent sweating in the gym listening to 70s rock on the loud speakers... or the time you would have spent on things you were passionate about... with people you cared for and loved... on things which enriched your life experience?

Food is not the enemy, longevity is not the goal... maximizing the experience that is life is what we should all be striving for. Being obese can definitely interfere with that... but so can being a nutrition or health freak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 01:16 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,010,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
... Food is not the enemy, longevity is not the goal... maximizing the experience that is life is what we should all be striving for. Being obese can definitely interfere with that... but so can being a nutrition or health freak.
Moderation is the key, my friend. It is the quintessential key to everything!

Ian

Old 10-10-2010, 04:29 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,673,142 times
Quote:
I think a lot of people here seem to forget this...

In everything we do, we must always remember one thing... no one gets out of this alive.

Some people live life to maximize longevity... others to maximize enjoyment... but most look for a balance.

Hypothetical situation... you spend 1 hour a day at the gym, eat nothing but veggies, lean meats, and natural products... can't name a single product on the McDonald's value menu, would never dream of ordering an appetizer, and the thought of a huge plate of Nachos while watching the Super Bowl makes you want to throw up... you live to be 85 with a perfect body.

Someone else... doesn't go to the gym, eats what they want, when they want, is maybe 20 lbs overweight and lives to be 80.

Which person do you want to be? If you work out 1 hour a day, you spend 15 days a year working out, 20 days of awake time. If you're like most people (working 40 hours, commuting 5, sleeping 35), that's 12.5% of your free time. If you take away the time you spend getting ready in the morning, doing necessary chores, and other things that draw on our time, it's an even higher percentage of your discretionary time.

So when you're lying there in your last days and hours... which do you think are the better memories... all that time spent sweating in the gym listening to 70s rock on the loud speakers... or the time you would have spent on things you were passionate about... with people you cared for and loved... on things which enriched your life experience?

Food is not the enemy, longevity is not the goal... maximizing the experience that is life is what we should all be striving for. Being obese can definitely interfere with that... but so can being a nutrition or health freak.
I don't know anyone over the age of 35 who eats anything they want, doesn't get exercise, and is only 20 pounds overweight. Not in America anyway. Sorry but you are describing a fantasy (unless you are outside of the US).

Old 10-10-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I don't know anyone over the age of 35 who eats anything they want, doesn't get exercise, and is only 20 pounds overweight. Not in America anyway. Sorry but you are describing a fantasy (unless you are outside of the US).
Actually, there are plenty of people like that... there are alot of people out there that have a very high metabloic rate that can literally burn what they eat. I had a next door neighbor with a condition that he HAD to eat alot as his body was just a energy burning MACHINE. He didn't exercise, and was in his 40s.

I would agree that the GENERAL population would fall into your description, Onglet. But, it certainly doesn't apply to EVERYBODY.

Ian

Old 10-10-2010, 06:24 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,945 times
Quote:

If one is majorly obese like many Americans are it can interfere with a lot of things. Its not a matter of just being "fat". Obesity often destroys a persons quality of life for many decades by causing other health problems like diabetes which can sometimes lead to neuropathy and even loss of limbs in severe cases. Obesity can lead to arthritis pain which makes every day a day of misery. I know of some obese who have constant skin rashes because basically all their fat hangs off the body and sticks together so skin can breath so they have irritating, itchy rashes...my neighbor complains of this everytime I see her. It can cause breathing disorders, lead to depression, keeps people from being active and going places like on hiking trips to beautiful places...they just miss out on too much life. It also causes a lot of people to be lonely because there are a lot of people who will not be friends with or date someone who is fat and maybe even some never get married because it. So if you look at all that I think obesity makes a person lose out on more quality of life than a person who works out at the gym loses out on.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:58 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
My brother in law and sister in law are prime examples of two obese people who get no pleasure from food, yet eat constantly. They are so absorbed with sugar substitutes, low fat foods, and ways of avoiding calories, that all they seem to eat are non-food foods. They're in heaven with a dessert made with with sugar free jello and fat free coolwhip...and they'll eat the whole thing in a day.
If they just ate normal foods, their bodies wouldn't always think they were starving, and they couldn't be any fatter.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:05 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,859,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
My brother in law and sister in law are prime examples of two obese people who get no pleasure from food, yet eat constantly. They are so absorbed with sugar substitutes, low fat foods, and ways of avoiding calories, that all they seem to eat are non-food foods. They're in heaven with a dessert made with with sugar free jello and fat free coolwhip...and they'll eat the whole thing in a day.
If they just ate normal foods, their bodies wouldn't always think they were starving, and they couldn't be any fatter.
My stepmom is like that too. She's lost weight and is a size 8 because her doctor gave her pheteramine (sp?). But everything she eats is sugar substitute non-foods so I don't see how she can keep her health up. She eats multiple sugar free ice creams every night then goes grabs something else. The reason why is that kinda stuff doesn't ever make you feel full so you want more. She even puts Splenda on all her cooked foods things like baked potatoes, broccoli and cheese and even in soup!

Old 10-11-2010, 03:53 AM

15 posts, read 23,728 times
I totally agree with this.Losing weight isn't easy any way!Live happy is the most important things in my heart.Don't need to more care the weigh.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:26 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,673,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
Actually, there are plenty of people like that... there are alot of people out there that have a very high metabloic rate that can literally burn what they eat. I had a next door neighbor with a condition that he HAD to eat alot as his body was just a energy burning MACHINE. He didn't exercise, and was in his 40s.

I would agree that the GENERAL population would fall into your description, Onglet. But, it certainly doesn't apply to EVERYBODY.

Ian
I never used the word "everybody" so there's no need to CAP-scream at me.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post

I never used the word "everybody" so there's no need to CAP-scream at me.
First off, I wasn't "cap" screaming at you, was merely making points about what you said. True "cap" screaming is when you have full sentences, paragraphs, that have all caps.

Secondly, as you can see in your original post, you said "anyone over the age of 35", and that "you are describing a fantasy outside of America", when in reality, there are alot of people over the age of 35 that can eat what they want, without working out, and not having overweight issues. So, even though you didn't say "everybody", you sure as heck meant it, given "anyone over the age of 35".

Ian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss