Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 04:32 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
But what about your health in the inside?

I do think that thought has a place on weight when it doesnt affect the health.

Hoosier's thoughts have merit regardless of how health might be affected. Do you know any smokers? If so, are any of these smokers friends or family that you love? They are endangering their lives by smoking; chances are good you'll be attending a funeral of one whose death was caused by smoking. So until that day comes, how will you treat them? With the same disdain & intolerance you show to fatties?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 04:51 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times
Quote:
But what about your health in the inside?

I do think that thought has a place on weight when it doesnt affect the health.
I'm still planning on working off what I can, but I am not going to sweat the small stuff. If I miss a day of exercise because of work or family, then sobeit. If I want an extra slice of pie for dessert just because, well I know the consequences and will not worry if someone looks at me sideways. My health is of utmost importance, but my mental health is equally as important.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:13 PM

631 posts, read 1,885,527 times
The comments flowing from some on here are pretty disgusting. There are alot of overweight people who sit around stuffing their faces and leading a sedentary lifestyle but not everyone.

Personally I have struggled with my weight for my entire life. I'm 5'11" and have been anywhere between a size 9 and a size 22. I'm not blaming anyone (society, chemicals, mcdonalds, etc.) for my weight issues. I know how much I put into my mouth, I know how much I move my body and I accept full responsibility for that. I am 30 years old and fully understand the health implications of being overweight and its frightening. What astounds me though is when are working on improving your health and people still look at you like you are some kind of two headed monster.

I don't eat fast food. I work out 3 to 4 times a week. I eat fruits and vegetabls and rarely drink cokes. My blood pressure and Cholesterol are within normal ranges. Yes, I have a bad day occasionally and have a bad binge but I pay for my mistakes later on with either less food or more gym time.

There may be some extra padding here but I am still a human being. The next time you see someone who is overweight maybe stop and think a little before you make an assumption that the person is lazy with no will power.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:23 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
I'm still planning on working off what I can, but I am not going to sweat the small stuff. If I miss a day of exercise because of work or family, then sobeit. If I want an extra slice of pie for dessert just because, well I know the consequences and will not worry if someone looks at me sideways. My health is of utmost importance, but my mental health is equally as important.

Better watch you dont yo-yo and backslide again. I know you said you had issue with it and this may be why. Lots of people get like that. Keep it in mind.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
Hoosier's thoughts have merit regardless of how health might be affected. Do you know any smokers? If so, are any of these smokers friends or family that you love? They are endangering their lives by smoking; chances are good you'll be attending a funeral of one whose death was caused by smoking. So until that day comes, how will you treat them? With the same disdain & intolerance you show to fatties?

Merit in putting you head in the sand over a problem you can control?
I dont know why thats something thats good.
A problem is a problem and forgetting about it doesnt make it go away.

Get over it. Smoking is bad for you and overeating/lack of activity is bad for you.

And yeh..ANYONE in real I actually give to squats about I will nag them till thier ears bleed to take better care of themselves and NOT take the gift of health and life so lightly.

I believe anyone can do anything if they set thier mind to it.

Old 11-26-2008, 04:25 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,028 times
Quote:

Get over it. Smoking is bad for you and overeating/lack of activity is bad for you.

And yeh..ANYONE in real I actually give to squats about I will nag them till thier ears bleed to take better care of themselves and NOT take the gift of health and life so lightly.

Get over what??? Your one-sided viewpoint on this? Your inability to make your argument carry any weight at all?

Not liking your loved ones' habits & nagging them until their ears bleed is a fine endeavor, & a far, FAR cry from the attitude you've shown in 99% of your posts. Suggest you either bone up on your spelling & grammar usage in order to make your point a bit more clear....or just go back to being an expert for the thin folks & leave us heavies to find our own way.

Old 11-26-2008, 05:15 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,046,783 times
Default pitt.....

Quote:

Your last sentence is the absolute truth! They gotta wanna!!! And, if they really don't want to make the lifestyle change for their own optimal wellness ............ no amount of nagging will illicit behavior change.

If someone asks me for health or lifestyle eating advice..... I give it.... otherwise, I let them be!

Old 11-29-2008, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Get over what??? Your one-sided viewpoint on this? Your inability to make your argument carry any weight at all?

Not liking your loved ones' habits & nagging them until their ears bleed is a fine endeavor, & a far, FAR cry from the attitude you've shown in 99% of your posts. Suggest you either bone up on your spelling & grammar usage in order to make your point a bit more clear....or just go back to being an expert for the thin folks & leave us heavies to find our own way.

Im here to talk about fat not play english class. Its a message board not a term paper.

So get over that while getting over the fact I dont agree with acceptance of shortcomings with dieting.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:27 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Are you serious? This society practically has no tolerance for smokers whatsoever. So, yes...disdain for everyone!

And obesity-related illness will kill more people.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:53 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,161,317 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Fat people, overweight, pleasingly plump and the list could go on. Have you ever been fat? Have you ever just felt fat? Why is our country so weight conscious? Why are people so judgemental of others who have a few extra pounds?

I've talked to friends who are overweight and they've told me some sad and unbelievable stories. Why do some people stare at fat people when they're eating? I've seen people give a snicker and roll their eyes at people who are overweight (and we're not talking teens here...adults).

Personally I've struggled with my weight my entire life. I go up, I do down and it's just been a rollercoaster. When I was 23 my paternal grandparents were visiting. I hadn't seen them in more than a year. The first thing my grandmother said is, "wow, you sure have put on the weight!" and she walked out. My sister's husband would call me "Shamoo". And here's the deal, I was maybe 10-15 pounds overweight!

Why do people assume it's okay to give overweight people advice on their diets, or recommend going to the YMCA?

Lastly, IMO it seems that most overweight people are nicer and much more approachable than skinny people. While overweight people may be more conscious of that aspect of their life (and want to change) I think they're more down-to-earth. And don't ask me to explain the why...I don't know, it's just what I've experienced.[/QUOTE]
Wow, I am really sorry that this has been your experience. Maybe some are uneducated about what it might be like to have trouble with weight. I never have had an issue because, from the time I could walk, my mother kept me as active as she was, taking aerobics classes, gymnastics, cheer, sports etc. I loved it and fitness became such a passion for me that my senior year in HS I began the certification process for Personal training as well as nutrition. I recently graduated with my bachelors and began teaching but for8 years, and still part time now, I trained. Most of my clients come to me with no experience and have no idea where to start. The thing is this, if you are happy AND healthy, that is all that should matter. Where things begin to become scary is when you are not healthy. Weight can effect a multitude of systems within your body thus, contributing to a wide variety of health issues. But your right, no one should degrade you or make you feel less than equal but if your weight has reached a point to where you are no longer healthy, it should then become a great concern to you and most likley those who care about you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss