Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,139 times

Advertisements

When people are overweight in my opinion it is an addiction no different than alcohol or drugs. When I was 180 pounds at 9 months pregnant it was so hard to just get out of my car and when I see people who live like that every, single day of their lives just b/c they love to eat, well I think it is disgusting, quite frankly. When I imagine how much you'd have to eat to maintain an obese weight I just think those people lack self-control and are addicted to food. I am probably what you would call a 'skinny' person but I take pride in the fact that I don't overconsume and love to be active. Try figure skating, it's great at any age even if you're a beginner. I just can't imagine how any food could so good that you are willing to be miserable for it, and when you have to hold on to the roof of the car just to get up and out of it, well no food could possibly taste that good to me, just not worth it. Besides belly fat KILLS! I love peanut M&Ms just like the rest of us but a little moderation is in order sometimes, ya know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 07:15 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kep308 View Post
When people are overweight in my opinion it is an addiction no different than alcohol or drugs. When I was 180 pounds at 9 months pregnant it was so hard to just get out of my car and when I see people who live like that every, single day of their lives just b/c they love to eat, well I think it is disgusting, quite frankly. When I imagine how much you'd have to eat to maintain an obese weight I just think those people lack self-control and are addicted to food. I am probably what you would call a 'skinny' person but I take pride in the fact that I don't overconsume and love to be active. Try figure skating, it's great at any age even if you're a beginner. I just can't imagine how any food could so good that you are willing to be miserable for it, and when you have to hold on to the roof of the car just to get up and out of it, well no food could possibly taste that good to me, just not worth it. Besides belly fat KILLS! I love peanut M&Ms just like the rest of us but a little moderation is in order sometimes, ya know?
I will agree that in all things moderation is a good thing. However since I started this thread I've had back surgery and have another one on the way, and I've gained weight because I cannot exercise. It's too painful and the doctor's don't want me to do too much. I bring this up to show that not all overweight people are gorging themselves on Ding Dongs.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:19 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,444,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
LOL size 12 is perfect! Thats the average American woman size and also the size men find desirable. Obesity doesnt start till like size 16!

Hmmm. Interesting.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:10 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,493,987 times
Quote:
LOL size 12 is perfect! Thats the average American woman size and also the size men find desirable. Obesity doesnt start till like size 16!
Gee, I wish EVERY man in America felt the same way you do. These days a woman is considered "fat" if she wears any size over a 6.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:43 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,533 times
IMO, emotional eating is the #1 cause of obesity. I remember a short vacation to Florida some years ago w/ my husband. I had just finished my 3rd round of steroid treatment for endometriosis. That, coupled w/ multiple surgeries & a heavy sprinkling of self-pity ("I deserve a treat for going thru this") eating....I was a BIG girl. We checked into the hotel where my husband's friend was the pool/beach manager. The guy takes one look at me & says, in front of a whole pool bar full of people, "wow - you sure did let yourself go". He was drunk when he said it - (he was always drunk...), & his wife tried to smooth it over, didn't matter. Damage done.

I never went back there, never spoke to the guy again. Maybe I will be thin again, maybe I'll stay fat. But no way will that guy ever be anything but a shallow drunk. I think I got the better lot in life.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:07 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
I will agree that in all things moderation is a good thing. However since I started this thread I've had back surgery and have another one on the way, and I've gained weight because I cannot exercise. It's too painful and the doctor's don't want me to do too much. I bring this up to show that not all overweight people are gorging themselves on Ding Dongs.
You gained weight because you didnt adjust calories for a sed. lifestyle.
Ding Dongs or salad...Overeating is overeating and if you are gaining you are doing it.
You said you yo-yo alot. You should really try to tailor your plan with something you can live with because going up and down all the time is not good for your system. And M&Ms are as bad as soda. Its all sugar and empty calories. I wish M&Ms were good for you too! LOL! If only! They are actually worse calorie wise:

M&Ms = 1Pkg aprox 230 cals - 1cup =1023 cals (thats almost 1/3 a pound you can gain from 1cup of the stuff.)

Soda = 1 -12oz Can = 144 cals

Have the soda instead and you save 100 cals. If you did that everyday (cut 100 cals from total daily intake needs) you will be 10 pounds lighter by the end of the year!

Quote:
Not really. Its actually close to health risk. Most size 12s put your waist measurements three inches away from "at risk level". If you are short a size 12 can most definitely be an obese size.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:16 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
I don't think it's unreasonable to put on 10 or 20 pounds as you get older. Your lives change and metabolism changes and that's still within acceptable parameters (though not 'model thin'). I think a healthy, active weight and 'heroine chic' are two different things.

However, I think what kep and pitt said is right. We (my wife and I) kind of wonder at the obese who are at restaurants ordering stuff that is obviously not going to help the situation. We equate being overweight to lack of self-control and self-discipline (and yes, there are exceptions, but most of the time, it is). I personally am appalled by how it affects the health, the healthcare, and the outcomes of the overweight sick. It's the same feeling I get when we waste money trying to fix all the things a druggie or an alcoholic does to ruin his body.

As to larger people being nicer; I don't think that is true at all. I think there are nice and mean people and they are of all weights. I know plenty of nice skinny people and plenty of rude, demanding obese people (and vice versa).

Old 11-19-2008, 10:29 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't think it's unreasonable to put on 10 or 20 pounds as you get older. Your lives change and metabolism changes and that's still within acceptable parameters (though not 'model thin'). I think a healthy, active weight and 'heroine chic' are two different things.

However, I think what kep and pitt said is right. We (my wife and I) kind of wonder at the obese who are at restaurants ordering stuff that is obviously not going to help the situation. We equate being overweight to lack of self-control and self-discipline (and yes, there are exceptions, but most of the time, it is). I personally am appalled by how it affects the health, the healthcare, and the outcomes of the overweight sick. It's the same feeling I get when we waste money trying to fix all the things a druggie or an alcoholic does to ruin his body.

As to larger people being nicer; I don't think that is true at all. I think there are nice and mean people and they are of all weights. I know plenty of nice skinny people and plenty of rude, demanding obese people (and vice versa).
I dont think its true on the nicer thing either...
It has it limits.

What I noticed:
- fat girls are nicer when I am fat and make fun of thin people with/at me
- when I am not they are wenches and just sneer

Old 11-19-2008, 01:56 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
You gained weight because you didnt adjust calories for a sed. lifestyle.
Ding Dongs or salad...Overeating is overeating and if you are gaining you are doing it.
You said you yo-yo alot. You should really try to tailor your plan with something you can live with because going up and down all the time is not good for your system. And M&Ms are as bad as soda. Its all sugar and empty calories. I wish M&Ms were good for you too! LOL! If only! They are actually worse calorie wise:

M&Ms = 1Pkg aprox 230 cals - 1cup =1023 cals (thats almost 1/3 a pound you can gain from 1cup of the stuff.)

Soda = 1 -12oz Can = 144 cals

Have the soda instead and you save 100 cals. If you did that everyday (cut 100 cals from total daily intake needs) you will be 10 pounds lighter by the end of the year!

Not really. Its actually close to health risk. Most size 12s put your waist measurements three inches away from "at risk level". If you are short a size 12 can most definitely be an obese size.
I was joking about the Ding Dongs and M&Ms. I stay away from sweets and pop. And I eat rather well. I will say that your point about changing eating habits due to sedentary lifestyle is good.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:01 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,742,040 times
Actaully, women's sizes vary with height! For me at 5' 4" size 4 to 6 is perfect, a 2 or 0 would be skinnier. 8+ is getting to be a porker! I googled Avg US woman's size or so and it said 5' 4" size 14! There are taller women like maybe 5' 10" who can hardly break lower than a size 10.

Oh, I got fat because of eating for pleasure. I was depressed with my career around 1999 to 2001 so I ate to make me happy, then got obese. I thought I could eat lots and not get fat. Should have weighed myself every day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss