Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 11:39 AM

3,570 posts, read 8,726,697 times

Advertisements

Fat people, overweight, pleasingly plump and the list could go on. Have you ever been fat? Have you ever just felt fat? Why is our country so weight conscious? Why are people so judgemental of others who have a few extra pounds?

I've talked to friends who are overweight and they've told me some sad and unbelievable stories. Why do some people stare at fat people when they're eating? I've seen people give a snicker and roll their eyes at people who are overweight (and we're not talking teens here...adults).

Personally I've struggled with my weight my entire life. I go up, I do down and it's just been a rollercoaster. When I was 23 my paternal grandparents were visiting. I hadn't seen them in more than a year. The first thing my grandmother said is, "wow, you sure have put on the weight!" and she walked out. My sister's husband would call me "Shamoo". And here's the deal, I was maybe 10-15 pounds overweight!

Why do people assume it's okay to give overweight people advice on their diets, or recommend going to the YMCA?

Lastly, IMO it seems that most overweight people are nicer and much more approachable than skinny people. While overweight people may be more conscious of that aspect of their life (and want to change) I think they're more down-to-earth. And don't ask me to explain the why...I don't know, it's just what I've experienced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 11:56 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,178,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post

Lastly, IMO it seems that most overweight people are nicer and much more approachable than skinny people. While overweight people may be more conscious of that aspect of their life (and want to change) I think they're more down-to-earth. And don't ask me to explain the why...I don't know, it's just what I've experienced.
I totally agree with this. I think some skinny people are either disgusted with overweight people or just think they are better than them. I have come across some mean, stuck-up skinny people, but then again I can say the same thing for some overweight people.

But I think on the whole, overweight people are nice, smart, and down to earth.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:14 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,096,632 times
Maybe those women are jealous that they have the body of a 14 year old and that all the guys are checking out those wonderfully curvy women

Old 03-14-2007, 01:47 PM

8,189 posts, read 31,258,340 times
I too have struggled with my weight. I have recently come to the realization that I do not have time for shallow people. This includes my relatives. If anyone ever called me Shamoo I am guessing that it would be the last time I was in their house, and I am sure it would be grounds for throwing them out of mine. There is just no reason to be rude.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:01 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,172,905 times
Well. Obesity is not healthy and you won't feel well, can't do many things, can't bend down, and it makes healthcare costs skyhigh because everyone has high bp, diabetes and all those things.

OK now for the real reason, I think fat or "fatter than" what is acceptable by society, by magazine models, by TV ads, has slammed the door for a lot of people in a lot of situations. Fat people have been descriminated upon by employers, airlines (size of airplane seat), restaurant chairs, clothing manufacturers that don't make "as attractive" fat people clothes, and so on. So, I think that there are many more "issues" heavy people have to deal with and cope with on a much more regular basis than normal weight people and it brings out greater sensitivity towards others because they have experienced bad treatment themselves and know how it feels.

I've read articles about given a fat person and a normal or even thin person who apply for the same position, even if the fat person has better credentials and experience, it is very possible that "looks" gets the thin person hired. Same holds true for tall vs. short people..

And now, please realize that I am using "fat" instead of "overweight", "obese", "heavy", just because but is in no way meant to be derogatory or disrespectful.

Personally, I used to be a size 4, now I'm a 12 and sometimes a 14 depending on how bloated I am. :-)) And I love food so I know I will never be even a size 8 again (and I'm only 5'4"). The day the weight starts to disrupt my routine and gets into more serious health issues, then I'll worry more about dieting. I do have some common sense about what to eat and what not to eat too much of, unless you show me some dark chocolate!!!!

Lordyyyyyyyy, whew!

Old 03-14-2007, 02:12 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,096,632 times
LOL size 12 is perfect! Thats the average American woman size and also the size men find desirable. Obesity doesnt start till like size 16!

Old 03-14-2007, 02:24 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,172,905 times
NAH, thanks. Give me just a little more time, and I'll get to 16, don't worry.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:25 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,726,697 times
excuse me for a minute while I go get some M&Ms! My one true vice. Give me an oversize bag of M&Ms and they'll go faster than anything else. But never try a dinner of M&Ms...not a good plan. Seriously, I have found that good eating habits truly do help lose weight. I used to work out religiously and lost weight, only to gain back some after stopping due to work/family schedule. Only when I changed me eating habits did I really begin to lose weight, and not put so much back on. But hey, M&Ms are good, and they're calling me as I need to still survive the workday...and it's better than a soda!!

Old 03-14-2007, 02:33 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,547,161 times
On the other hand, why is it perfectly acceptable to go up to a thin person, who is a total stranger to you, and say "wow- you are so skinny", but it is unconscionable to say to someone who is overweight 'dang-you are so fat" when both of these remarks can be considered offensive.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:35 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,995,037 times
I think people go too far with trying to be too thin. Too thin is not attractive, nor is it healthy. I'm too thin. I'm trying to gain. I was out at a dinner with a group of my friends, all of them are overweight. I kept hearing: "Aren't you the lucky one".. "Sure wish I had your genes"...etc. That works my nerves. I don't want to be overweight, but I do appreciate the solid feeling I've felt in the past when my weight was higher and I felt my body. I loved that feeling and I want it back. (by the way, I was so hungry at this dinner that I over-ordered plates of meatballs, bread pudding, and a scallop dish. I went through the scallops in two seconds flat, then attacked the meatballs. Unfortunately I was such a pig that one got stuck in my windpipe and I started to choke and couldn't breathe and I couldn't swallow it or expel it on my own. I hit my friend Stephen on the arm to my left and made a slapping gesture and pointed to my back. He hit me so hard the meatball flew out of my throat and sailed right to the middle of the table where it landed in the bread bowl! I tried to discreetly retrieve it with my napkin and hide it...but I think everyone lost their appetite ). And if I had the chance of actually being able to choose between being thin or being mildly overweight, I'd choose mildly overweight in one nanosecond.
That's me.
(p.s.... chew your meatballs thoroughly)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss