Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 11:05 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,378,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TETLEY TEA! View Post
Janipoo - I feel for you on the lack of sleep issue. Do you know why you aren't sleeping? Maybe if you can find the answer it'll help you. If it is something odd, maybe someone on CDF can suggest a possible remedie.

I like that term fluffy! I like "more to love" myself
Yeah, trying to sell our house for over 5 months, my hubbys already working in another state, the kids and I only get to see him on the weekends. They talk about the highs and lows of real estate, so far it's only low and lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 11:37 AM

500 posts, read 2,859,549 times
I love this post's title! "There are so many of them!".

I won't forget when my European parents came to visit and they were almost shocked. "There are so many fat people!". And they meant really fat, morbidly obese- not just a bit overweight or "pleasanty plump".

Obesity in America is such an awfully serious problem. And what kills me is that the more we know about it, the fatter we are! Nowadays nutritional information is everywhere, yet the epidemic keeps growing.

What's wrong with America?? Don't we listen? Don't we read? Do we like BigMac's so much that we are willing to put our health at risk for them?

I think the biggest problem is not the poor diet or junk food but our being a suburban nation. Seated at home, seated in the car, seated in the office, seated in the car back, seated in the restaurant, seated at home again.

People don't exercise, and that's where the problem starts growing. You could probably eat a couple of fatty burgers a week if you had your daily 30-minute walk or run or bike ride!

Personally, I was fatter when I lived in Spain (Europe). Because I live in Manhattan now, I walk everywhere, several miles. So I'm now slimmer and healthier. Al dente, I would say!

Old 03-15-2007, 02:06 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,827 times
So true Manhatten-ite. Glad you like the title!! I have fun with them. Where are you from in Spain? I lived in Madrid for 2 years. Loved it so much! Wish I could go back, just haven't had the time or money to do so. What a beautiful country...and the people, oh they were so very nice and helpful. My birthday is January 6 so I had lots of fun with the Three Kings Day festivities in downtown.

I do remember seeing big people over there, but definitely not like here! Your parents are very right.

Old 03-15-2007, 04:04 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,308 times
Default I like Rubenesque women, also

In fact, I saw a whole room full of original paintings by Rubens. In the Louvre, in Paris. The subject was Marie DeMedici, once the Queen of France. She was notoriously ill tempered, and if she did not like the way she had looked in them, I doubt she would have paid the painter...but she did. He made her look like what many people would consider a prime candidate for Jenny Craig.

Not me, though.

There is the health issue. It's not healthy to be heavy. But the whole 'society disapproves' thing... I went shopping with my ladyfriend the other day. I was determined to buy her something to wear...she got so upset that she almost burst into tears in the store. What's up with that?

I told her, well, I could care less how people look at me. Anyone who looks a trifle different gets lots of nasty looks out here on Dung Island (you can tell how much I love it here) but I guess it's different for a woman.

Out west, in San Fran, some of the gals were so scrawny...not to criticize anyone's taste, but I used to say - guys who go for girls like that...maybe they ought to just admit what they are and head for the gay bar.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:25 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
In fact, I saw a whole room full of original paintings by Rubens. In the Louvre, in Paris. The subject was Marie DeMedici, once the Queen of France. She was notoriously ill tempered, and if she did not like the way she had looked in them, I doubt she would have paid the painter...but she did. He made her look like what many people would consider a prime candidate for Jenny Craig.

Not me, though.

There is the health issue. It's not healthy to be heavy. But the whole 'society disapproves' thing... I went shopping with my ladyfriend the other day. I was determined to buy her something to wear...she got so upset that she almost burst into tears in the store. What's up with that?

I told her, well, I could care less how people look at me. Anyone who looks a trifle different gets lots of nasty looks out here on Dung Island (you can tell how much I love it here) but I guess it's different for a woman.

Out west, in San Fran, some of the gals were so scrawny...not to criticize anyone's taste, but I used to say - guys who go for girls like that...maybe they ought to just admit what they are and head for the gay bar.

You know back in those days, heavier women were the style. Look at all the great painters paintings... See anybody skinny? No. They were all chubby, with tummies, thick arms, legs.

Whenever anybody wants to tell me I'm getting fat or look at that tummy... I just tell them they have no culture!

Finally now they're instituting some rules for models. The TV and cameras may add some pounds to some of them but in person, OMG, they are skin and bones and really sickly looking.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
You know back in those days, heavier women were the style. Look at all the great painters paintings... See anybody skinny? No. They were all chubby, with tummies, thick arms, legs.

Whenever anybody wants to tell me I'm getting fat or look at that tummy... I just tell them they have no culture!

Finally now they're instituting some rules for models. The TV and cameras may add some pounds to some of them but in person, OMG, they are skin and bones and really sickly looking.

Yes, remember that one...they made a made-for-HBO movie about her...Gia, that was her name. I never saw it, but I heard that "heroin chic" was a major theme.

Lord, what's next...tuberculosis chic?

Old 03-15-2007, 06:46 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,797,006 times
I am overweight. And I have lost weight before only to gain it back. I am still trying to lose weight. I dont understand why people hate fat people so much.

The thing that bugs me the most is people assume that fat people always eat more than thin people. That is simply not true. In some cases it might be.

But I rarely if ever eat fast food. I am very careful about what I eat and I exercise everyday.

I'm still fat.

But I have a theory- because they realize ANYONE can be fat!
You can't change your race or your gender (at least not easily) , but you can easily get fat.

Old 03-15-2007, 06:54 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
I am overweight. And I have lost weight before only to gain it back. I am still trying to lose weight. I dont understand why people hate fat people so much.

The thing that bugs me the most is people assume that fat people always eat more than thin people. That is simply not true. In some cases it might be.

But I rarely if ever eat fast food. I am very careful about what I eat and I exercise everyday.

I'm still fat.

But I have a theory- because they realize ANYONE can be fat!
You can't change your race or your gender (at least not easily) , but you can easily get fat.
Many times it is hormonal. Have you had a good check-up?

The other thing is those people having bariatric surgery so they can be thin. There are several where I work. It's taken each one of them more than a year to begin to look normal again. They have been so sick and have developed so many other problems.

If you are not morbidly obese and the weight is not a real threat to your being able to get out of bed, why on earth put yourself through such drastic measures.

Just like cosmetic surgery. This old lady today at work (a patient)... Nice taut face. She was thin, well dressed, but she had one of these long shorts they wear now, and gawd, her thighs and knees were just one wrinkle on top of another. I don't understand these things.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:00 PM

My girlfriend does not eat that much, either. She has a thyroid condition that contributes to her problem.

She also has a bad ankle. That makes it hard for her to exercise. I've suggested swimming. But, if I suggest anything too strenuously, she gets upset because she thinks I'm not happy with the way she looks, which is not so. Her health is my sole concern.

Old 03-15-2007, 07:34 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,378,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
My girlfriend does not eat that much, either. She has a thyroid condition that contributes to her problem.

She also has a bad ankle. That makes it hard for her to exercise. I've suggested swimming. But, if I suggest anything too strenuously, she gets upset because she thinks I'm not happy with the way she looks, which is not so. Her health is my sole concern.
Ahh, what a great guy.

My weight has always gone up and down and no matter what I weigh I always feel fat and I have a hubby that doesn't seem to matter. I should say, that he has always treated me the same when I was 20 pounds lighter and more.

Remember that it has to do with self esteem, more than anything, keep insisting that she looks great but if she'd like you both could make changes that would help you both.

Even though you still find her attractive at any weight, remember that she doesn't see herself in the same way. Be patient!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss