Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 01:31 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,121,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
BMI is total crap. Any ratings, methods, info, etc. pertaining to BMI is just junk. Anyone who knows anything about health and fitness will NOT use BMI as a tool to measure one's health/fitness level/size/etc. It is just NOT accurate.

Same thing with clothes sizes. People (especially women) cannot just say "Oh I wear a size 8" or "I am a size 5" because everyone knows that sizes are different based on the designer, and, more than likely the person who posts and says "I wear a size 5" is probably just saying that because she has ONE item in her closet that is a 5 with the rest being 16s probably. My wife is 5' 2" and weigh 125 lbs. She wears clothes that are size P, XS, S, and medium. So she can actually say that she's a petite or size medium and be correct.

Inaccurate:
BMI
Clothes sizes

Accurate:
Weight with height listed.
Body fat caliper results AND height AND weight.

Other than that then there is just too much room for error.
I just gave you the officially-used standard. Not saying that it was accurate. Some organizations (at least according to Wikipedia) use 35 as a standard, but all of what I've heard up to the point of last night was 40 for morbid obesity.

And BMI is a function of height and weight alone. I don't see the difference between listing your BMI and listing your height and weight. Body fat caliper results, on the other hand, give a clearer idea of how truly "fat" a person is. But because calipers are not available to everyone, but height and weight is (more or less), BMI provides a somewhat accurate picture of how fat or skinny a person is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 01:52 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,797,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
IMO it's not acceptable at all. There is an unwritten rule that is becoming blurred that it's not okay to talk about another persons weight. Behind closed doors? Talk all you want...I don't care. It's gonna happen anyway. But be sensitive enough to not talk about someones weight, fat or skinny to them.

I've heard some bigger people comment "Oh, you're such a toothpick. I wish I could give you some of my weight!" Nervous laughter from skinny person. It's not right on both sides of the issue.
I didn't hit puberty until about 21. So, growing up my family would say, you are so skinny. When are you gonna gain weight. Or, skinny minny. It took a while to get over that. I have a big and a slim friend. Once, we went out to eat and the bigger one said to the other, you eat like a pig. The slim one didn't say anything. But, called me and said, what if I said, you are a pig. She told me once, wow, you getting fat. Is that rude?? Should I have said something. I didn't. She said, she wanted to find a man, but she has gained so much weight. I said, well go to the gym with me. She said, no I like food too much. I really don't care what size a person is. As long as you are nice to me.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:13 PM

541 posts, read 2,138,127 times
I used to be more than 100 pounds overweight. I tried diet and exercise, but would always gain whatever I lost back and then some. Due to my weight, I had several health issues, so, as a last straw I opted for gastric bypass surgery.

I lost all the excess weight as well as my health issues. It's been 7 years and I am still maintaining the loss.

When I was overweight, my daughter's schoolmates teased her about her fat mom. Men didn;t give me a second look. To most people, I was invisible.

After lost the weight, I remember the first time a man looked at me with approval. I will never forget him opening a door for me. I was shocked that a change in my physical appearance could cause such a drastic effect on the way others treated me. Men go out of their way to help me, where before I was completely ignored.

I feel bad for the way overweight people are treated. I am so happy that I am no longer in that place!

Old 01-19-2010, 09:21 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,138,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Fat people, overweight, pleasingly plump and the list could go on. Have you ever been fat? Have you ever just felt fat? Why is our country so weight conscious? Why are people so judgemental of others who have a few extra pounds?

I've talked to friends who are overweight and they've told me some sad and unbelievable stories. Why do some people stare at fat people when they're eating? I've seen people give a snicker and roll their eyes at people who are overweight (and we're not talking teens here...adults).

Personally I've struggled with my weight my entire life. I go up, I do down and it's just been a rollercoaster. When I was 23 my paternal grandparents were visiting. I hadn't seen them in more than a year. The first thing my grandmother said is, "wow, you sure have put on the weight!" and she walked out. My sister's husband would call me "Shamoo". And here's the deal, I was maybe 10-15 pounds overweight!

Why do people assume it's okay to give overweight people advice on their diets, or recommend going to the YMCA?

Lastly, IMO it seems that most overweight people are nicer and much more approachable than skinny people. While overweight people may be more conscious of that aspect of their life (and want to change) I think they're more down-to-earth. And don't ask me to explain the why...I don't know, it's just what I've experienced.
IMO, having been skinny all my life except for gaining 70lbs per baby twice, I understand what it is to carry extra weight. It is different and you can't understand it unless you have. My ass used to knock things over (while pregnant), A/C didn't bother me (extra weight kept me warm), all kinds of things that related to being heavier.

Some people are comfortable weighing more; some aren't. Skinny people are mean 'cause they're HUNGRY! .....

I think due to all the fast food commercials on tv as well as the ones that rave about how much food you get for $6.99, we've got this urge to use utensils like a shovel which in turn has created one hell of an overweight poplulation. We have been taught to over eat. Unlearning the urge to shovel it in is not easy.

10lbs over weight will not kill you but depending on your genetics & family history, extra weight is not always healthy, but then, neither is breathing the air.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:07 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
I think due to all the fast food commercials on tv as well as the ones that rave about how much food you get for $6.99, we've got this urge to use utensils like a shovel which in turn has created one hell of an overweight population. We have been taught to over eat. Unlearning the urge to shovel it in 'is not easy.'

Bingo! We've been super-sized!! Quantity over quality or health. Eat small, stay small. Eat big, get big.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:07 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,900,187 times
Morbid obesity has become an epidemic. I see young people who could be split into 3 people of average size. It's a tragedy to watch many of them huffing, and puffing to get out of a car, and waddle to an all you can eat buffet. It's even worse when their children are obese. Since when is it cute for a pre teen to have triple chins ?

Old 01-19-2010, 04:16 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
So in 1960 it was ok to be a size 12. Perfectly normal. The goal to which women were told they should aspire. So who changed the rules? Who makes the rules for that matter? Today women are told they should be from 0-6 and not a pound more. I have actually seen size 12 referred to as "plus-size."
Manufacturers have changed the sizes so people don't get upset when they go up in size. When I was in high school in the early 90's I wore size 8 and I was 118lbs. In the 2000's 20lbs heavier I wore size 4 but I couldn't fit into my high school jeans. Of course now I would be happy in a size 8 from today. A size 12 from the 60's could be a size 0 or 2 of today.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:18 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Isn't it odd, this vanity sizing...? Do they think we're really being fooled? Sure, it's great to say I'm a size 6 or 8, but I know for a fact that I'm not, and I resent them playing me like this. I'm waiting for the sub-zero sizes...

Old 01-19-2010, 04:27 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Manufacturers have changed the sizes so people don't get upset when they go up in size. When I was in high school in the early 90's I wore size 8 and I was 118lbs. In the 2000's 20lbs heavier I wore size 4 but I couldn't fit into my high school jeans. Of course now I would be happy in a size 8 from today. A size 12 from the 60's could be a size 0 or 2 of today.
Well....GREAT BIG CUSS WORD INSERTED HERE....I thought I was still a size 10. Now I realize I'm really not....I'm much larger.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:54 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Well....GREAT BIG CUSS WORD INSERTED HERE....I thought I was still a size 10. Now I realize I'm really not....I'm much larger.
Sorry. Do you have anything from a decade or so back? Try it on and see how it fits you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss