Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 05:49 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,074 times

Advertisements

Try having 3 kids close in age and three c-sections. Then we'll talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 09:39 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
Actually, there are plenty of people like that... there are alot of people out there that have a very high metabloic rate that can literally burn what they eat. I had a next door neighbor with a condition that he HAD to eat alot as his body was just a energy burning MACHINE. He didn't exercise, and was in his 40s.
The spouse is one of those people as well; he's always been able to eat whatever he wants, whenever he wants, without gaining an ounce. Before he met me, he rarely got any exercise.

And now, after completing seven months of radiation and chemo, he's been advised to eat at least 4,000 calories a day to get his weight back -- in four months, he's gained precisely two pounds.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:10 AM

1,904 posts, read 3,987,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
I think a lot of people here seem to forget this...

In everything we do, we must always remember one thing... no one gets out of this alive.

Some people live life to maximize longevity... others to maximize enjoyment... but most look for a balance.

Hypothetical situation... you spend 1 hour a day at the gym, eat nothing but veggies, lean meats, and natural products... can't name a single product on the McDonald's value menu, would never dream of ordering an appetizer, and the thought of a huge plate of Nachos while watching the Super Bowl makes you want to throw up... you live to be 85 with a perfect body.

Someone else... doesn't go to the gym, eats what they want, when they want, is maybe 20 lbs overweight and lives to be 80.

Which person do you want to be? If you work out 1 hour a day, you spend 15 days a year working out, 20 days of awake time. If you're like most people (working 40 hours, commuting 5, sleeping 35), that's 12.5% of your free time. If you take away the time you spend getting ready in the morning, doing necessary chores, and other things that draw on our time, it's an even higher percentage of your discretionary time.

So when you're lying there in your last days and hours... which do you think are the better memories... all that time spent sweating in the gym listening to 70s rock on the loud speakers... or the time you would have spent on things you were passionate about... with people you cared for and loved... on things which enriched your life experience?

Food is not the enemy, longevity is not the goal... maximizing the experience that is life is what we should all be striving for. Being obese can definitely interfere with that... but so can being a nutrition or health freak.
I think you are assuming that people that are in the gym an hour a day don't enjoy being there. Many that live a healthy lifestyle actually enjoy it. Why can't you maximize life's experiences and be healthy. For me, eating a Big Mac and watching hours of TV isn't maximizing my life experience. (Just to clarify, I'm not saying that this is your way of life either)

Old 10-12-2010, 08:36 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,450,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFanGoingWest View Post
I think you are assuming that people that are in the gym an hour a day don't enjoy being there. Many that live a healthy lifestyle actually enjoy it. Why can't you maximize life's experiences and be healthy. For me, eating a Big Mac and watching hours of TV isn't maximizing my life experience. (Just to clarify, I'm not saying that this is your way of life either)
I agree. I enjoy working out and I like the endorphine rush I get after an intense session at the gym.

Just because we're huffin' and puffin' doesn't mean we're miserable.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:47 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,168,388 times
Just thought I would add:

Quote:
Health experts have long warned of the risk of obesity, but a new Japanese study warns that being very skinny is even more dangerous, and that slightly chubby people live longer.

People who are a little overweight at age 40 live six to seven years longer than very thin people, whose average life expectancywas shorter by some five years than that of obese people, the study found.

"We found skinny people run the highest risk," said Shinichi Kuriyama, an associate professor at Tohoku University's Graduate School of Medicine who worked on the long-term study of middle-aged and elderly people.
"We had expected thin people would show the shortest life expectancy but didn't expect the difference to be this large," he told AFP by telephone.
Chubby people live longest: Japan study

Old 10-12-2010, 04:21 PM

610 posts, read 1,295,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Try having 3 kids close in age and three c-sections. Then we'll talk.
Excuses.
You don't look overweight on your profile pic though so I wont give you any ranting :P

Old 10-13-2010, 08:09 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgeek20 View Post
Excuses.
You don't look overweight on your profile pic though so I wont give you any ranting :P
Just curious--are you male or female and how old are you?

Old 10-13-2010, 03:39 PM

21 male, and now you are going to tell me I don't know, I'll see when I get older or something along those lines, but yes I do know, one does not need cancer to studdy it, same goes for weightloss under different conditions, save yourself the post :P

Old 10-13-2010, 04:48 PM

1,678 posts, read 4,010,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsgeek20 View Post
21 male, and now you are going to tell me I don't know, I'll see when I get older or something along those lines, but yes I do know, one does not need cancer to studdy it, same goes for weightloss under different conditions, save yourself the post :P
Wow... for someone so intelligent, someone with such experience, you don't even know how to spell the word STUDY. Do you know anything about hormonal changes that occur in women who have had children? Or are you basing your "worldly" knowledge off of celebs you see on TV?

Get a clue. Do some research before you start ranting about what you know... or the lack of it.

Ian

Old 10-14-2010, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsizzler View Post
Wow... for someone so intelligent, someone with such experience, you don't even know how to spell the word STUDY. Do you know anything about hormonal changes that occur in women who have had children? Or are you basing your "worldly" knowledge off of celebs you see on TV?

Get a clue. Do some research before you start ranting about what you know... or the lack of it.

Ian
Oh but I really thought it was spelled that way! I put so much energy on correcting my spelling, punctuation and all the other über-important details in a forumpost!

Oh yeah and I do get all my knowledge from celebs doing fancy-pansy hippie-workouts. I also "truly believe that"() what the celebs say they do on TV is all they do to stay in shape.

Enough ironics...
The effects of age etc on metabolism are well documented. No man or woman will have his metabolism slowed by more than 800 kcal/day between ages 30-50 just because of age. And no woman will suddenly be able to live on far less energy because of having a baby. The major factor in the absolute majority of weightgain cases are changes in habits.

One thing I can buy is parents lacking time especially in single-parent households. This explains itself. But there are plenty of parents who find time to take care of themselves too.

The thing is far too many have the attitude "oh hell I'm old" (30+), become couchpotatoes and then you always hear them either trying 15 different fancy diets that madonna or whoever do and are supposed to let you eat crap once a day or take shortcuts in someway. Givven enough room for BS one could argue just about any food as great nutrition.
And then comes the "I've tried everything, I tried x,y,z diets, I had a gymmembership for 2 months" (but was only there twice/week) etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss