Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 09:40 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,047,267 times

Advertisements

People make everything so complicated !

It's quite simple, really......... and practically FREE ........ it's called :

E D U C A T I O N !!

Go to the library, or surf the internet, buy/borrow a book on nutrition....... read it !!!

How simple can that be ???????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 09:53 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
because so far its easier to shut up people that laugh at you than it is to deal with your stuff.
1 in 3 is obese in america.
why, food keeps your spirits up and your energy up. if given a choice work family or exercise its never guna be choice c, .
also the baby boomers are doing way too much for way too many, (50% of americans work) the old man is on his 3rd lap around the track and nobody is taking the baton, so hand him a bigmac.
when the baby boomers crash, so will we.
why are women fat, in a word-----mean streets do not produce pretty people. women like the big income and excitment outside of the home (remember they left it in the 70's ), you have come a long way baby, but now you got heart attacks (after 1989, #1 killer of women) and you got really fat---

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 11-22-2008 at 10:51 AM..

Old 11-22-2008, 11:45 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,046,149 times
oh my gosh....i just have to speak up. Im sure I'll get a lot of flack for this post, but.....

I used to be verrry tiny. I was a competitive gymnast, and was in terrific shape. Even after I quit, I stayed quite small. I hit a growth spurt and grew several inches up, but didnt gain any weight. In my 20s, I was 5'5 and averaged about 100-105lbs. Fairly active, could eat pretty much whatever, but had decent eating habits. Unfortunatly, I did pick up smoking (although NOT while i was pregnant) In my early 30s, after 3 kids, I was holding steady at 115lbs. Then, 2 things happened, I quit smoking, and got kidney stones. Both within months of each other. I bloated huge w/the stones (a blokage issue) but for somereason, after surgery, i stayed up there in the weight. I had some bad habits (3 henry root beer a day, and a fierce chocolate addiction) but I have a very active job, and am fairly active as it is. Well, that 115 is a LONG ways away now. I topped out at 160lbs. OMG. Not good. Not for someone who had always been thin. And it took about 2 yrs to do that. So, I finally decided to really do something about it. Started the brisk walking every day, cut out all soda, limited my chocolate to a teeny amount, cut portion sizes, and guess what? after 4 months, NOTHING. No loss at all. So, I went to the Dr. did all the tests, nada. nothin wrong. he says "Oh, your getting older, its gonna get harder" well, harder, I expected, impossible, i did not. So, its been another 8mnths or so, of exersizing daily, NO pop, very very little chocolate, 2 detox cleanses, and Im finally down to 145lbs. Its been HARD!!!!! I have had fast food maybe 2x a month. At the most. Lots of fresh veggies and fruits, limited carbs, i cook most of our meals from scratch. And its been slow and hard! I was on the other end of this....I was that super thin girl who could eat whatever and thought "Ill NEVER be fat!" I thought a size 5 was chunky. Now, my good days, i can wear my 12 jeans. On a good day. my dream goal is 125lbs. Somewhere i once thought was fat. I have experienced how people treat me so differently at one weight than another. Why? Im the same person.... Some people are overweight because they sit around,watching tv/reading, eating whatever. Maybe theyve given up. I think thats sad. But I understand. Losing weight for me has been way harder than quitting smoking ever was. The poster who was talking about how w/drugs you can avoid em, but with food, its always there, and its something you HAVE to have each day, totally hit it on the head! Its like blowing all the air out of your lungs, waiting as LONG as you can (before passing out) then only letting yourself take a tiny 1/2 second breath in. Just barley any. Enough where you can feel it, but its not inflating your lungs again. But watching others around you take in those long full breaths. Thats what dieting can be like for some.
And please, always have some faith. You never know, that overweight person that your harshly judging, may have just lost 150lbs.
okay, off my personal soapbox....

Old 11-22-2008, 01:06 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,988 times
Not only does it look bad and bad for you but fat women blocking my path in line at Golden Corral are a menace. Here I am hungry, but at 5'10 173, totally outmatched by some 200 pound lnebacker still chewing from A. her last 5 plates and B. when no one can see past her - sampling the new dishes. The looks these women give you -- as if by standing online you are going to steal their dinner or husband! (but they forget they ate him too ).

This is bad for health - increases everyone's medical costs- gives foreigners something else to mock us about ( as if Bush wasn't enough) and women who are in shape feel they can be conceited.

By the way its just as wrong for men to be fat -- I just don't have the personal interest in them!

Old 11-22-2008, 01:32 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Not only does it look bad and bad for you but fat women blocking my path in line at Golden Corral are a menace.
OK, I'm gonna go out on a limb here...well, maybe not - my extra 25 lbs. might snap it..... Was that a joke? 'Cuz if not, your first (???) mistake was deciding to eat at a place with "Corral"" in the name. What exactly would you expect? Now mind your manners & wait for one of us to mooove out of your way.

Toothfully, I mean truthfully, - I've never set hoof, -er, I mean foot, in that place. The food in those places is more of a menace to you than any of the linebackers offending your line of vision.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:07 AM

4,789 posts, read 14,742,040 times
Golden Corral is an ok buffet, and their desserts are great! But if you wanna stay slim, the only way to eat at a buffet place is to take out by pound the stuff that's worth it for takeout, so you don't overeat to compensate for the high price of the buffet!

Old 11-24-2008, 02:34 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
Not only does it look bad and bad for you but fat women blocking my path in line at Golden Corral are a menace. Here I am hungry, but at 5'10 173, totally outmatched by some 200 pound lnebacker still chewing from A. her last 5 plates and B. when no one can see past her - sampling the new dishes. The looks these women give you -- as if by standing online you are going to steal their dinner or husband! (but they forget they ate him too ).

This is bad for health - increases everyone's medical costs- gives foreigners something else to mock us about ( as if Bush wasn't enough) and women who are in shape feel they can be conceited.

By the way its just as wrong for men to be fat -- I just don't have the personal interest in them!
I follow these people..They always know where and what the good stuff is!
I swear..And I dont care if they take a million years. Its a buffet..Its suppose to be casual fun. Not the army or school lunch line.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:08 PM

625 posts, read 1,585,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
People make everything so complicated !

It's quite simple, really......... and practically FREE ........ it's called :

E D U C A T I O N !!

Go to the library, or surf the internet, buy/borrow a book on nutrition....... read it !!!

How simple can that be ???????
You tell CIB....They can sit down with a book on fitness/nutrition, an 88 oz Gullet-Buster Cherry Dr Pepper and a Megabag of thrice fried pork rinds from QuikeeMart and look at pictures of skinny people.......and decide what to have for supper; a fifty piece McNugget or the Chinese hot bar

Old 11-24-2008, 10:40 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,084 times
I've decided that I am going to be happy right where I'm at. If I lose some weight, great! If not, that's fine too. I believe it's more about liking yourself and being comfortable in your own skin. If others can't accept me for the way I look then they're missing out on a great friend. If people are so superficial that looks are more important than what's inside, then they are not worth being my friend. With friends like that, who needs enemies!

Old 11-25-2008, 03:06 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
I've decided that I am going to be happy right where I'm at. If I lose some weight, great! If not, that's fine too. I believe it's more about liking yourself and being comfortable in your own skin. If others can't accept me for the way I look then they're missing out on a great friend. If people are so superficial that looks are more important than what's inside, then they are not worth being my friend. With friends like that, who needs enemies!
But what about your health in the inside?

I do think that thought has a place on weight when it doesnt affect the health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss