Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 02:45 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,827 times

Advertisements

IMO it's not acceptable at all. There is an unwritten rule that is becoming blurred that it's not okay to talk about another persons weight. Behind closed doors? Talk all you want...I don't care. It's gonna happen anyway. But be sensitive enough to not talk about someones weight, fat or skinny to them.

I've heard some bigger people comment "Oh, you're such a toothpick. I wish I could give you some of my weight!" Nervous laughter from skinny person. It's not right on both sides of the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 02:52 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
I've never been overweight, all my life I've been skinny. I've tried to put on a few pounds but it seems to always burn right off.

I've had different friends who have struggled with weight problems and they always ask me "How do you keep so thin (usually while we're sitting at McDonalds)?" And I always say that exercise is the key. I don't believe in all of these weight loss programs and that crap.

I run a mile or two almost every morning when I wake up. It make me feel good and starts my day off right. Eating right and exercise is the key.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:01 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,718,827 times
Yep Speedy you're right. I do believe that some prescription aids can help jumpstart people, but to not rely on them as a single source. I've taken prescription and it helps me immensely, but I continue to remind myself it's not about the waist size, it's about feeling healthy.

And Mickey D's? Oh, you should go to the other thread about things people have found in their food. Someone posted this afternoon and let's just say, won't be hittin' that drive-thru!

Old 03-14-2007, 05:42 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,158,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMark View Post
I think people go too far with trying to be too thin. Too thin is not attractive, nor is it healthy. I'm too thin. I'm trying to gain. I was out at a dinner with a group of my friends, all of them are overweight. I kept hearing: "Aren't you the lucky one".. "Sure wish I had your genes"...etc. That works my nerves. I don't want to be overweight, but I do appreciate the solid feeling I've felt in the past when my weight was higher and I felt my body. I loved that feeling and I want it back. (by the way, I was so hungry at this dinner that I over-ordered plates of meatballs, bread pudding, and a scallop dish. I went through the scallops in two seconds flat, then attacked the meatballs. Unfortunately I was such a pig that one got stuck in my windpipe and I started to choke and couldn't breathe and I couldn't swallow it or expel it on my own. I hit my friend Stephen on the arm to my left and made a slapping gesture and pointed to my back. He hit me so hard the meatball flew out of my throat and sailed right to the middle of the table where it landed in the bread bowl! I tried to discreetly retrieve it with my napkin and hide it...but I think everyone lost their appetite ). And if I had the chance of actually being able to choose between being thin or being mildly overweight, I'd choose mildly overweight in one nanosecond.
That's me.
(p.s.... chew your meatballs thoroughly)

MoMark! I think your friends need to go out to dinner with you more often. They will lose weight! Seeeeee, there's a bright side to everything.
OK you need to eat s l o w l y from now on OK????

My little dog is about 15 lbs overweight but he is a voracious bottomless pit. Nothing will fill him up and he's on special diet food with prescription. I do give him a teeney weensey more than he's supposed to get but I feel so sorry for him. When he eats though, he doesn't breathe and he starts choking up a little bit. I have to take his food away until he rests, then continue. Poor baby.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:47 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,168,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_affordable_home View Post
LOL size 12 is perfect! Thats the average American woman size and also the size men find desirable. Obesity doesnt start till like size 16!
Where DO you get these stats?

Old 03-14-2007, 10:31 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,361,498 times
I used to be really skinny until about four years ago. I used run because I loved to and it was a great stress relief for me. Then I hurt my lower back and knee. Walking just a couple of miles hurt. Going from totally active to shuffling around completely threw me for a loop. I wouldn't call it depression, but it was easy to reach for the chips and feel sorry for myself. When the weight crept up and jumped on my **** I got even more fed up. I wasn't what you would call obese, but for me it was a lot of weight. I now understand why many people who are overweight see it as a vicious circle. They eat because they are depressed, and are depressed because they eat. Food is not the real problem but an escape. The good news. Once you find out the real reason of what is bugging you then it is easier to move forward and take a hold of your weight issue. I actually managed a nine mile walk the other day with no pain! Every day I walk my dogs several miles and I'm feeling great. I might not be able to run anymore but I took hold and got my life back on track.
I find it hurtful of people who judge someone because of their weight. I've seen both sides.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:49 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,378,315 times
Another issue that hasn't been mentioned is sleep deprived. I know for myself, I am not getting good sleep and feel so fatigued but I have to continue on so I find myself eating trying to get more energy. Anyway I like the phrase I heard about being fluffy not fat.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:54 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times
I love slender women, too. But "Rubenesque" women have alwys been my favorite...

Old 03-15-2007, 11:00 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,378,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
I love slender women, too. But "Rubenesque" women have alwys been my favorite...
Your easy to please..........Eat a Cookie......Don't eat a Cookie.....doesn't matter

Old 03-15-2007, 11:02 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,361,498 times
Janipoo - I feel for you on the lack of sleep issue. Do you know why you aren't sleeping? Maybe if you can find the answer it'll help you. If it is something odd, maybe someone on CDF can suggest a possible remedie.

I like that term fluffy! I like "more to love" myself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss