Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 06:34 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,878,250 times

Advertisements

I dont really blame the baby boomers, but the politicians. The baby boomers certainly produced terrible politicians, policies, CEOs, business practices, leaders, etc.

On an individual basis they never meant to screw us over like they did, but collectively they did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 08:51 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanman72 View Post
Unfortunately, that's the major issue I have with my generation. Full of wusses. Most would rather be "well behaved little boys" and would prefer to get accolades by playing by the system's rules, well knowingly that they're concurrently taking it up the rectum
Yes, to some degree, but Gen-X tends to not behave itself. If Gen-Y attaches itself to Gen-X, which seems to be occurring, then the boomers are toast. On the other hand, if Gen-Y looks up to the boomers they are toast.Gen-X will likely take advantage of either situation...

Regardless, wussiness aside the economic situation is wearing thin so if things don't change fast (unlikely) its hard to see how they won't eat the boomers alive.

Old 05-31-2011, 04:16 AM

19,219 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Sorry but I don't know what the age is for Generation Y. For that matter, I don't what X and Z are, either.

For the record, I don't look down on any generation. There are some I'm not particularly fond of ... such as those who think everything should be a free ride. I don't mind paying for the children, the disabled, our veterans and the elderly but I get a little miffed when someone, who is perfectly healthy and capable, sits on their rump all day and expects to get a monthly check without earning it. And let's not leave out the ones who fried their brain on drugs and aren't capable of holding down a job. Their idea of multi-tasking is feeding the cat while watching Wheel of Fortune. Now THAT's what ticks me off. Anyone who is trying gets my respect.

It's just my opinion but this country is running the it is because of the clowns we sent to Washington. Want it to stop? Don't send in the clowns. Surprisingly, a very large group, both young and old, aren't happy with the way things are going. It's not just a generational thing.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:29 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times
It seems like every generation looks down on the one following them (and vice versa), to a degree. I'm sure members of "the Greatest Generation" looked down on all those hippy boomers in the 60's, and the boomers looked down on their parents for making them go to Nam (just to use a couple examples).

Old 05-31-2011, 06:32 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Sorry but I don't know what the age is for Generation Y. For that matter, I don't what X and Z are, either.
In short... the children and grandchildren of the Boomers.

Boomers being born during the post war Boom years starting in 1946 through the end of the Eisenhower era in 1960 when the US had about 150 Million citizens to do for. The oldest of Boomers are 66 and just now eligible to start collecting SS and the youngest at 51 are right in the cross-hairs of the "sandwich" with responsibility for both their "Greatest Generation" parents and their too often under and unemployed children (or grandchildren).

Generation X were born after then. With the post Camelot and Vietnam consciousness beginning about 1963 through the end of the seventies and start of the social changes characterized by the Reagan consciousness at about 1980 when the US had about 240 Million citizens to do for despite the ZPG warnings ten plus years earlier. The oldest of these at about 48 should be entering their peak earning years and the youngest at about 31 should be well established in their career positions with their personal lives at the crest of consumer spending.

Generation Y started shortly after then... approximately 1982 and that era's employment crisis' and carried through the Tech Boom and Clinton years ending with the new Century at about 2000 when the US had over 300 Million citizens to do for. The youngest of these are still in grammar school but their older siblings and cousins ALL beyond school age now and have become the largest group of unemployed out there; perhaps ever. That is except for their fellows who joined the service.

hth

Last edited by MrRational; 05-31-2011 at 06:48 AM..

Old 05-31-2011, 06:41 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
This is coming from a Boomer:

What Generation Y needs to learn to do is to vote. If 70% of Generation Y would start voting the politicians would have to start taking them seriously. Understand that all the old people out there, including Boomers, vote in large numbers and the politicians have to listen to us.

My 19 year old son is of course a member of Generation Y. I have tried and tried to explain to him the importance of participation in the political process. He is very disinterested and instead prefers what most youth prefer: Dating; watching movies; hangin' with his friends; doing college work; and posting on FB.

He has a lot of fun. However, he and other Generation Y members are going to learn the hard way that failing to participate in the political process has consequences.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:42 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
And this bias for retrospective just doesn't accomplish anything at all.
Why it is and how it got that way it is virtually immaterial.
What you're going to do now is all that matters.
you don't see the relationship between the two?

we have to understand how a problem was created -- assigning blame is part of that -- or we will keep making the same mistakes.

i'm a Y'er, and I see this logic all the time from my dad (boomer), boomer politicians, and the boomer management within my organization. I don't remember the World War II generation having such an attitude toward responsibility. Assigning blame, cutting the dead wood, sorting the wheat from the chaff, and making difficult decisions seems to be one social quality that the boomer generation tried to do away with. It is like the classic Bill Clinton line: "Mistakes were made," not, "I made a mistake." Our recent and current issues with the financial system are another example.

Last edited by le roi; 05-31-2011 at 07:01 AM..

Old 05-31-2011, 07:11 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
you don't see the relationship between the two?
Did I say anything that implies I'm not aware of the larger issues?
If anything, I'd say that my perspective see's more...
but those discussions are (as I did say) "virtually immaterial" to actually solving things.

Quote:
we have to understand how a problem was created -- assigning blame is part of that -- or we will keep making the same mistakes.
Life isn't like a Phi 101 lecture hall.
There's a role for that investigation and analysis... sure.
But it isn't YOUR role.

To the degree that such investigation and analysis is seen and expressed as being the focus of any individual who isn't doing so with some academic credential or similar and especially when being done by an individual who appears to be doing so in preference to actually solving their own individual un or under employment problem...

whether that s the absolute reality or just the perception... (yeah, life is unfair)

Quote:
i'm a Y'er, and I see this logic all the time from my dad...
And do those discussions achieve anything? For you or anyone else?
Do they contribute to your skill set?
Do they get you hours doing scut work somewhere to earn a few dollars?

Last edited by MrRational; 05-31-2011 at 07:24 AM..

Old 05-31-2011, 07:43 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
No, quite the opposite. You implied that when we become aware of problems (individually, as a society, as worker, as a family), we should ignore our past choices because, in your words, "Why it is and how it got that way it is virtually immaterial. "

Quote:
Life isn't like a Phi 101 lecture hall.
I'll take that as a cheap shot ad hominem.

Quote:
There's a role for that investigation and analysis... sure.
But it isn't YOUR role.

To the degree that such investigation and analysis is seen and expressed as being the focus of any individual who isn't doing so with some academic credential or similar and especially when being done by an individual who appears to be doing so in preference to actually solving their own individual un or under employment problem...
I'm not clear on how you figure that "un or under employment" was the topic here.

Quote:
And do those discussions achieve anything? For you or anyone else?
Do they contribute to your skill set? Do they get you hours doing scut work somewhere to earn a few dollars?
Yes to the first 4 questions. The last question is ambiguous.

Old 05-31-2011, 07:50 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,128,682 times
le roi:

What you said.

It wouldn't let me give you rep. points.

MrRational:
(Shakes head)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational
Yes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational
And this bias for retrospective just doesn't accomplish anything at all.
Why it is and how it got that way it is virtually immaterial.

What you're going to do now is all that matters.
"If we do not learn from history we are doomed to repeat it's mistakes."
This is something Boomers just can't seem to grasp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics