Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 08:01 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
It was in reference to the question you were answering. How the CEO's could justify their actions.
As far as CEO's making millions, I do not think you can say it is very rare. Median CEO pay in 2010 was $9.0 million, based on 158 Standard & Poor’s 500.
You do know that the S&P 500 is the collection of the top 500 publicly traded companies, right? I don't know if you went to college or not (hope not, given your post), but in research, when you do sampling, your sampling should represent the makeup of the entire population being studied. The S&P500 is not a good sample to represent all the CEOs out there. Most of them are actually in small businesses.

Last edited by NJBest; 11-22-2012 at 08:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 04:28 AM

621 posts, read 658,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You do know that the S&P 500 is the collection of the top 500 publicly traded companies, right? I don't know if you went to college or not (hope not, given your post), but in research, when you do sampling, your sampling should represent the makeup of the entire population being studied. The S&P500 is not a good sample to represent all the CEOs out there. Most of them are actually in small businesses.
It depends on what you want to show. The term is statistical outlier. If you want to find them then the S&P 500 is where you need to look. The vast bulk are as you describe. Modest income and hard working. The outliers are the ones that are making things bad for the rest of us.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:30 AM

395 posts, read 707,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Steve Jobs commented that it's really easy to open a factory in China, but it's really hard to open a factory in America.

Offshoring/outsourcing has been a huge problem for at least 20 years, but what can be done to encourage American companies to keep their factories inside the US?

One problem is that if you're a politician and you do something that causes American companies to lose money, you will be voted out in two days.

Another relevant Steve Jobs comment was that they have so many engineers in China that help out in the factories. He implied that it's hard to find engineers in America, although he didn't mean PhDs. (My source is the biography of Jobs by Walter Isaacson.) One day Jobs decided he wanted to make an Ipod with a really nice aluminum case so he opened a factory in China for just that. I wonder if he even considered opening it in America.
Can't produce cost effective ipods in the USA. Steve jobs did not open a factor he hired a contract manufacturer. He's interested in slave labor. Have you heard of how FOXCONN treats their employees??? When's the last time you heard of factory workers committing suicide? I would say let 100 American's go over to foxconn to work for $15.00/hour and see how many can last 1 month. The reduce their wages to $0.50/hour and see how many can 1 day.

Read more economic text books on trade and economic warfare. I know your trying to be positive, as I was when I was younger, but it's a pipedream.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:12 AM

762 posts, read 1,099,724 times
^^You’re missing the point; the US employee is not adjusting/adapting to the new reality of 21st century economics. They want exponential wage inflation to fund their bad planning/spendthrift lifestyle. Being ineptly/perpetually in DEBT is unattractive in today’s Global economy. The so-called middle class had the opportunity to be well off during circa 2000~2012; instead they squandered it away via their greedy/irresponsible spendthrift decisions.

Last edited by DSOs; 11-25-2012 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: added century

Old 11-25-2012, 05:50 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,423,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Foreign people of other countries are willing to work and do there job ! ! ! Today's American people are to lazy to work. The quality of American production is not as good, and their employes want more money than they are worth ! ! !

No one forces you to buy from them ! ! !

Stop complaning and ...
Start your own American company, and run them out of business if you can ! ! !
Americans think a job is their natural born right regardless of how well they do their job. Some even vote for unionization to protect them. Americans think they are entitled.

Me, I would rather hire pay more to someone who has less education and has a good attitude, willing to work, no entitlement attitude. I can train and teach them as long as the government does not dictate that I need a specific license or amount of education for them to work for me. I wouldn't want to someone who with a higher education with attitude. A bad attitude is contagious and can make everyone miserable.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:18 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
With this President and his hordes of rampaging regulators starting with Lisa Jackson at the EPA as well as the FCC, FTC, IRS, OSHA & too many others to mention, very little given this President's hostility towards big business and entrepreneurship, as well as his vehement objections to people spending their own money in THEIR best interest as opposed to the nonstop stream of totally unnecessary government bureaucracies he keeps erecting.

The Fed is an entirely different story.

Like all Democrats, he's much too fixated on what people earn (remember 'There comes a time in your life when you've made enough money?'), as well as the fact that his party's subservience to environmentalists, civil service unions and other economy-smothering entities precludes prosperity for EVERYBODY, given the millions of people who can't find work due to the demands of those handful of people having priority over the needs of hundreds of millions of the rest of us, and his nonstop assault on the middle class, which is about to go into high gear now that he's been re-elected.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOs View Post
^^You’re missing the point; the US employee is not adjusting/adapting to the new reality of 21st century economics. They want exponential wage inflation to fund their bad planning/spendthrift lifestyle. Being ineptly/perpetually in DEBT is unattractive in today’s Global economy. The so-called middle class had the opportunity to be well off during circa 2000~2012; instead they squandered it away via their greedy/irresponsible spendthrift decisions.
You offer people money for the equity in their houses. You take their old job and ship it over seas. http://www.bearishnews.com/wp-conten...l-debt-gdp.jpg Then you blame them for the result. You can't get a good paying job but you can get a loan.

1981 the total debt curve went vertical. It can't go up forever. It will come back down. How determines the unemployment rate. If you inflate away the value of the debt then you have full employment as the debt comes down. If you repay write off the debt then you have massive unemployment as the debt comes down.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:23 PM

762 posts, read 1,099,724 times
^^C’mon pie_row. The white-collar middle class let the jobs go overseas. Didn’t you hear about how the dirty-nailed, blue-collar throwbacks were poisoning the pristine, sanitary US Economy pre 2008? Do you understand about strategic defaults & SQUATTERS living “free” in 400k homes? Do you understand that these people ALSO may not be paying their student loans, &/or their children’s student loans, because they know the USGov't/Taxpayer is stuck paying?

Last edited by DSOs; 11-26-2012 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: commas & a deletion

Old 11-26-2012, 06:01 PM

494 posts, read 1,917,460 times
here is an example:

Dedicated ASP.NET Developers, PHP Web Developers, Programmers & Website Designers

an iPhone developer in the USA can cost over $100,000/yr but in India you can hire one for $18/hr.... people claim the quality is the same. And this is the company rate so they are probably paying the poor sod $8/hr or thereabouts with zero benefits (since those things do not exist in India).

$8/hr x 55INR/USD x 1880 hrs/yr = INR 8,27,200/yr (8 lakhs) which is a very nice salary in India!!

Old 11-27-2012, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOs View Post
^^C’mon pie_row. The white-collar middle class let the jobs go overseas. Didn’t you hear about how the dirty-nailed, blue-collar throwbacks were poisoning the pristine, sanitary US Economy pre 2008? Do you understand about strategic defaults & SQUATTERS living “free” in 400k homes? Do you understand that these people ALSO may not be paying their student loans, &/or their children’s student loans, because they know the USGov't/Taxpayer is stuck paying?
The limit on government spending is not the tax base it is the inflation rate. Just print down those debts.

Who makes money off of outsourcing? Tax them into oblivion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics