Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2020, 09:02 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The economic impact of the coronavirus.
Depends on where you are, I think.
Wuhan metro has a population of 19 million people. There are 72,000 cases of Coronavirus and 1900 deaths. So maybe it's not all that contagious, although 72,000 sick people would overwhelm any medical system. No one could handle that.

North Korea says they do not have a single case. But that's a lie. It will kill many people in North Korea.

10,000 people have died in America from the flu - SINCE OCTOBER! That makes 2019 sort of an average year. So in the US, I don't think it'll have a direct impact. The fear of an impact might drive the market, though. We know how all that works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2020, 04:06 PM

21,928 posts, read 9,494,494 times
Interestingly, the number of recoveries has skyrocketed. Not sure if we can trust China's numbers though.

Old 02-23-2020, 07:17 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
I think the coronovirus, however overblown by the media, will likely contribute to ongoing questions about supply chains originating in China. Essentially, the Chinese government's response was so inept and hamhanded that I would wonder about trusting that country with any part of my company's economic destiny.

Old 02-24-2020, 08:09 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I think the coronovirus, however overblown by the media, will likely contribute to ongoing questions about supply chains originating in China. Essentially, the Chinese government's response was so inept and hamhanded that I would wonder about trusting that country with any part of my company's economic destiny.
Agreed. I was just thinking this exact same thought this morning. We are so embedded though...not sure how to extract ourselves.

Old 02-24-2020, 08:20 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I think the coronovirus, however overblown by the media, will likely contribute to ongoing questions about supply chains originating in China.
Not just supply chains in China, but concentrating the manufacture of anything in just one place. It's never a good idea to put all of one's eggs in a single basket.

Old 02-24-2020, 05:48 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
China has an advantage in that it can do things like completely shut down a province and build massive hospitals in two weeks.

Imagine the strain on the U.S. health system if it starts spreading here? We can't nearly do what China's been doing.

Old 02-24-2020, 06:40 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
China has an advantage in that it can do things like completely shut down a province and build massive hospitals in two weeks.

Imagine the strain on the U.S. health system if it starts spreading here? We can't nearly do what China's been doing.
Of course we can. But barring our imminent demise, politics will slow things down drastically. Most of us don't believe, want to believe, or understand that we can create any amount of money to fight our imminent demise. Our limits are in resources and productivity, not USD's.

Old 02-24-2020, 07:31 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,235,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Of course we can. But barring our imminent demise, politics will slow things down drastically. Most of us don't believe, want to believe, or understand that we can create any amount of money to fight our imminent demise. Our limits are in resources and productivity, not USD's.
A concern in the U.S. is that infected people probably won't even go to the doctor because of our completely messed up health finance. People who have coronavirus but think they have a cold will just keep going to work and infecting people, so as not to get charged $300-500 for a visit that they can't pay out of pocket because of their high deductible.

No, we don't have the ability to contain it nearly as well as China does.

...Or maybe the government just says it will pay the health care costs for people with Coronovirus. LOL, that'll be the biggest selling point for universal health care ever.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:24 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
Typical media fear cycles. Every few years there is a deadly virus they fixate on for about a month or two to fill the news loop. Usually during the winter months because the fear of illness is higher. Climate change fear-mongering was getting a little stale so now this. Although the media will likely blame this virus on "climate change." Then on to the 24/7 election rabid obsession coverage........
Shutting down and quarantining whole cities in China and now Italy causing their stock prices to plummet? This is not fear mongering. This is serious. This is now approaching a pandemic far more sinister than flu.

Aljazeera is reporting that Iran's deputy health minister has tested positive for the virus. "Neighbors close borders with Iran as virus concerns rise."

Chinatown in Chicago is deserted, and we only had two cases here until Trump's state department allowed infected travelers to come home on a plane, against CDC recommendation, with other vulnerable passengers. (Only the best people right.) Don't think for a minute that there aren't asymptomatic people traveling through every major airport on the globe that are carriers and spreading it. This will have a major impact on economies around the globe. This isn't fear mongering. This is real.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I hate it's come to this, and it's certainly not my personal preference, but we've needed to cut the cord with China for a long time and this may do it, or at least get peoples' attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics