Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2020, 02:51 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Exactly. I'm sad that it became such a partisan thing. Being skeptical of a year long lockdown somehow makes me a brainwashed Trump supporter?

I call them corona bullies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 04:13 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
I think there are a couple of overall issues that still hasn’t really been addressed

41k deaths in roughly seven weeks. I think the first death was reported 2/29. If it’s seasonal like the flu it’s one thing but 41k/7weeks*52weeks = 300k+ deaths. The number of deaths to date is lower than it would have been without a shutdown

The number of test run in the US as a whole and in a lot of state is really low. Testing and tracing would go a long way at mitigating the severity of a second or more waves.

Old 04-19-2020, 04:22 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
Get your flu shot early this year.
Getting the flu and CV at the same time would not be good.

Old 04-19-2020, 09:40 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,917,022 times
Yes, the red states were right to minimize the shut down. A significant factor in the Hunan flu is race. Blacks have suffered more deaths percentage wise. Why would be an interesting investigation. I have some guesses. If they do do some research, my guess is that the results of the study would not be PC, so it would never hit the msm

But anyway. If you take into account race and amount of exposure to crowded conditions, my guess is that there would not be much difference between blue and red states.

Old 04-20-2020, 02:56 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
In other posts by you, you've made it obvious that your own notions of what is prudent with regard to COVID19 protection carries more weight than what has been presented by those with a much better understanding of the disease. And because of that, there is no sense in arguing against that puny effort on your part to re think the parameters of precaution. I have many Montana family members living in some pretty remote areas of the Mission Valley, Granite county, and the Deer Lodge area, and they are hunkered down waiting this out, rural doesn't equal stupid.

The FACT of the matter IS, that in any town, large or small, bozo's abound, bozo's have little to no thought about others, bozo's run around with no protection, no ability to fathom the evidence before them, and anyone of those bozo's could be the one who infects you, even if there is just the two of you, that's enough to keep the COVID party going. Your preposterous positing of NYC being the only place worthy of the necessary precaution is all too typical of bozo thinking. That big sky ain't any protection against a virus..

https://helenair.com/news/local/241-...77b032b4c.html
I don't reckon that everyone in rural areas just simply keep to themselves. Surely they meet for church, for their jobs, assuming they're not ranchers?
Another issue with rural areas is while they're safer due to the open spaces and smaller population densities, their hospital systems aren't as good. It just isn't profitable to run that many of them out there, so when you DO need help, you'll have to drive further, to ones that have far less resources.

Old 04-20-2020, 02:58 AM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Get your flu shot early this year.
Getting the flu and CV at the same time would not be good.
You won’t have to worry about a CV vaccine for a long time.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I think there are a couple of overall issues that still hasn’t really been addressed

41k deaths in roughly seven weeks. I think the first death was reported 2/29. If it’s seasonal like the flu it’s one thing but 41k/7weeks*52weeks = 300k+ deaths. The number of deaths to date is lower than it would have been without a shutdown
You are assuming that the virus is not seasonal.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:51 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
So were these states right to resist locking down?
Yes, they were.

Here in PA (Blue governor, Red legislature) we had rolling lockdowns by county, with the urban counties locking down first, and tighter than rural counties. At one point we had a majority of counties with zero or single digit cases even while Philly and certain other counties had hundreds of cases. PA is a microcosm of the country.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Yes, the red states were right to minimize the shut down. A significant factor in the Hunan flu is race. Blacks have suffered more deaths percentage wise.
Then explain the higher death percentages in Italy? On top of that lots of red states have large black populations. Arkansas would be one example. Hypertension might be the factor. Its higher among black people and a big risk factor for the virus.

I would say it comes down to crowded conditions and being dependent on public transportation. Up until about 100 years ago people in rural areas lived 7 years longer than those in cities. Cities were considered cesspools of disease. Now covid-19 is forcing people to reconsider city life and its new dangers.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/am...xt/ar-BB12RZrJ

Blue cities have been pushing public transportation options for decades and ironically that has probably been a big factor especially in the areas surrounding NYC for all the hot spots in that part of the country.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:11 AM

208 posts, read 114,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
But aren't meat plants open around the country? That is essential work.
Don’t confuse him with facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics