Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 07:40 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
What?

Walmart is heavily shifting towards online and investing. They’ve stood up to Amazon the best.
Walmart is not standing up to Amazon. Amazon is killing Walmart. Only about 5% of Walmarts sales are online. Amazon is the future. Walmart is the past, unless they reinvent themselves digitally to compete with Amazon. And I doubt that will happen. To date not one single retail chain has been able to successfully adopt from brick and mortar to e-commerce.

Amazon Profits Exceed Walmart For The First Time - MGM Research
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 07:54 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,201,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UntilTheNDofTimE View Post
You guys sound like 2010 to me.
Well, it wasn't a bad movie. Keir Dullea looked great for his age. But SCO is far from "Something wonderful."

It's about a lot more than the tech and being fully trained-in-place to use it without making any mistakes. For one thing, I have yet to see an installation that is as forgiving and/or as self-teaching as a bank ATM. Most are functional horrors, and blaming it on the users is just nonsense.

Old 06-18-2020, 08:07 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,083,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
WMT website is no comparison to AMZN ,WMT spent a lot of money buying Jet Blue as they are not well versed into ecommerce,so they think Jet Blue can take on AMZN.
Now they know better,they hire an Indian PHD who used to work for GOOGLE,MSFT and AMZN and he is now reporting to the CEO .
Wmt is now partnering with Shopify,cant recall all the details,
I agree, Walmart's website is complete garbage. The site won't even load properly on my old Mac computers. Now granted, that is my fault for using 12 year old computers. I take responsibility for that, but I use the same computers to shop extensively on both Amazon and eBay, and both of those sites are fully functional. Even on a newer computer, that can access Walmart's site, I'm still not impressed. It's not comparable to Amazon in anyway.

Old 06-18-2020, 08:38 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
With close to 5,000 stores, this would be an enormous quantity of jobs lost.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddri...K4f?li=BBnb7Kz
It is a byproduct of Amazon. Don't blame Walmart for this. They aren't morons. Amazon is the threat to any brick and mortar. Walmart is just hanging on.

Old 06-18-2020, 08:46 PM

654 posts, read 424,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Walmart is not standing up to Amazon. Amazon is killing Walmart. Only about 5% of Walmarts sales are online. Amazon is the future. Walmart is the past, unless they reinvent themselves digitally to compete with Amazon. And I doubt that will happen. To date not one single retail chain has been able to successfully adopt from brick and mortar to e-commerce.

AWS is not killing Walmart, it's a completely separate business. Walmart is doing just fine. The Walmart app is really good, fast delivery, cheaper prices than Amazon and less price fluctuations. Your article even states revenue was up YoY, net income was down which can be due to many factors.

More recent
Quote:
The retailer says it hired a whopping 235,000 new workers during the health crisis to keep up with big demand at stores and warehouses.

Walmart's online sales jumped 74% to a new record as the company grew its home delivery and curbside pickup services. In stores, shoppers visited less frequently, but they spent almost 17% more per transaction, the company said on Tuesday as it became one of the first to report earnings from the months of the pandemic
https://www.nhpr.org/post/walmart-hi...-soar#stream/0

Old 06-18-2020, 09:04 PM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
It is a byproduct of Amazon. Don't blame Walmart for this. They aren't morons. Amazon is the threat to any brick and mortar. Walmart is just hanging on.
I am not blaming. It is the correct business move.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:07 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
They can all go to work at Amazon then.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:07 PM

6,808 posts, read 4,246,943 times
Quote:

Dude that's up to 2018. Trust me, a LOT has changed in 2 years since then. I would have never used Walmart back then online, now I use it as much as Amazon. With all the shortages, you need more than one go-to for stuff. And in all honesty, I actually prefer Walmart in a good few ways. I think they made huge strides in his area.

Old 06-18-2020, 09:33 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,350,980 times
Quote:
Walmart is going out of business. They just don't know it. There are a lot of other dominoes that have to fall first, but eventually it will get to Walmart..
I hope you're right, but Walmart is the fifteenth largest company in the world. I think there's a lot of traction still. I don't think Amazon can compete with them IRT groceries. Is it whole foods amazon bought? Still pricey. And the masses don't have money to burn. However, the rest of what they sell is crapola.

I've known people who worked at walmart, and it's a complete nightmare, right down to assistant store managers wishing they could break their own leg to not have to come into work. I kid you not. It's the worst I've ever heard of. Plus, for lower-level workers, to get the extra buck an hour, you have to argue with your manager for the time to complete the computer work necessary. Moreover, that computer work is useless, as is the videos they make all new hires watch (basically propaganda).

As far as shopping there, I've been using their free curbside pickup by shopping online. I don't go in at all. There's only one other store in my area that doesn't charge for pickup, but you have to be 60+ to get that, and I'm sure it will disappear once the pandemic is over...or lessened.

PS: Walmart bananas arrive very green (inedible) in the US and go to a massive warehouse(s?), and hang from the ceiling in long bunches to the floor under lights to ripen. The former manager told me it's bananas as far as the eye can see...rows and rows. It's a big secret, and the assistant store managers learn of it during training, and are told not to tell anyone. Supposedly American's would be angry. (I'm not sure why...but it's an interesting story).

Lastly, I don't don't get the idea of social interaction needs from cashiers? I'm friendly enough with them, but I don't need nor want it...it just "is". I socialize elsewhere.

Last edited by crusinsusan; 06-18-2020 at 09:59 PM..

Old 06-18-2020, 09:45 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,350,980 times
Quote:
I shop at Walmart for groceries. If I could order groceries online and have them delivered free, I would never ever step foot in that awful store again, especially right now. Just try buying groceries online. It's an expensive nightmare, and there is no reason it should be any more expensive then buying other items online. You just about have to use an expensive service like Instacart to get groceries delivered, if that is even available in your area. When groceries become available online for the same price they are in stores, grocery stores will start closing down just like other stores.
As I stated in my above post, Walmart has free curbside pickup. You order online (free), pick out a pick up time (which can actually be done now), they do all the shopping....and put it in your trunk for you. You don't even have to get out of the car, and during the pandemic, they sign for you, so you don't even have to touch the reader. (I think a problem may one day arise from that, but I use an account with very little money in it)

I hate walmart as much as the next person, but those shopping services not only charge, but I've read that they charge more for each item, in addition to the fee. And I'm only talking about curbside pickup...I don't need someone to deliver it to me, as I'm perfectly capable of driving to the store...I just don't want to go in.

Note too, that I'm frankly stunned by the quality of the produce they pick out for me. I think they want to be careful about that, because people won't be happy with them if the produce is wilted/old.

PS: I'm still reading...I see I've missed much...back now to page 3
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics