Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2014, 07:03 AM

4,386 posts, read 4,240,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
ITA. You cannot teach a hungry child until you feed him breakfast because his mind is on his empty stomach. I have often wondered why schools don't serve breakfast in impoverished areas. I find it interesting that my own school serves breakfast one day a year. The day the kids take the test that the school is judged by. Now we're not a poor district by any stretch of the imagination but if breakfast is that important, shouldn't it be important every day?

If hunger were the only issue, we could fix it easily but there are lots more stemming from poor family lives. Parents who are working multiple jobs to pay the bills, parents who are out partying and not there, parents who abuse their kids physically and emotionally, kids who get too little sleep because they are playing parent to younger siblings...How do we get all of these kids ready to educate?

I do still think that we need exit exams. Stopping the practice of pushing kids forward who are not ready to move forward would be a good first step for both of our districts. It gets fuzzy after that. There has to be remediation for kids who need to repeat material. Simply sticking them in the same class next year and doing the same thing that resulted in failure the first time will surely result in failure a second time too because the issues that led to the failure are not being addressed.

This paragraph describes my students perfectly. I would estimate that at least 40-50% of our students are experiencing at least one of these challenges. At the end of the day, the absentee rate is about 20%. Some students attend only once every 19 days in order to keep from getting dropped from school so that their families won't lose benefits. Many students are working late hours illegally because they have to help pay the bills. Most of our students' families receive several types of government financial aid. They don't understand, though, that receiving that money means that they are poor. They have nice clothes and smart phones, but they live in shotgun houses with erratic utilities because of late payments, etc. Many families have limited transportation, and parents who work often earn very little money.

This demographic also has a lot of health problems, so there is often someone in the family who is in and out of the hospital. The students are often at the hospital all night or caring for siblings or ill family members. Students frequently suffer due to lack of vision or dental care. I have at least 8 students who simply cannot see and whose families have not gotten them glasses. There are at least 8 more who have dental problems that have not yet been addressed. It's hard to concentrate when you have a chronic toothache.

Nearly all of our students eat free breakfast and lunch at school every day. Almost all the students eat the fresh fruit provided every day, and most of those who don't take it with them for later. About 120 students also get an after-school snack as part of our enrichment program. Our students do live in a food desert, so there are few grocery stores in their neighborhoods. Additionally, in most homes, there is no dinner time for the family. If anyone cooks, the food is just left on the stove for anyone who wants some to serve themselves. Most of the time, the families get fast food or junk food from convenience stores. This inadequate diet also contributes to the lack of readiness for learning.

Of course, in the current educational climate, all these factors are just excuses for bad teachers in poor neighborhoods to be able to blame their failure to teach the students on outside influences. Great teachers would have no trouble ensuring that all of their poor, hungry, sick, overworked, stressed, and distracted students achieve advanced or proficient on state assessments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 08:51 AM

914 posts, read 943,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Of course, in the current educational climate, all these factors are just excuses for bad teachers in poor neighborhoods to be able to blame their failure to teach the students on outside influences. Great teachers would have no trouble ensuring that all of their poor, hungry, sick, overworked, stressed, and distracted students achieve advanced or proficient on state assessments.
Of course, all the "great" teachers gravitate AWAY from that environment and towards the schools in districts with a higher socioeconomic status. A "great" teacher would not wish to be in the environment that is an inner-city school. They are safer in a demilitarized zone.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
Of course, all the "great" teachers gravitate AWAY from that environment and towards the schools in districts with a higher socioeconomic status. A "great" teacher would not wish to be in the environment that is an inner-city school. They are safer in a demilitarized zone.
I believe that you are wrong there. There are a few people of quality who decide to stay in the inner city despite the challenges. Personal safety is not always their motivation. I'm not saying that I'm great, but I do believe that I am damn good. I stay in the inner city because I believe that I make a difference in the lives of children who were born with fewer chances than those with a higher socioeconomic status. The problem is that we can't staff schools with missionaries. There aren't enough of us to go around.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:03 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
I believe that you are wrong there. There are a few people of quality who decide to stay in the inner city despite the challenges. Personal safety is not always their motivation. I'm not saying that I'm great, but I do believe that I am damn good. I stay in the inner city because I believe that I make a difference in the lives of children who were born with fewer chances than those with a higher socioeconomic status. The problem is that we can't staff schools with missionaries. There aren't enough of us to go around.
Well, Kalisiin also put "great" in quotes.

The teachers in those schools will more likely appear to be "great" --and all statistics will bear out that they are "great"--because they aren't dealing with all the same issues. The system is not granting you a handicap in scoring.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:11 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times
Quote:
This paragraph describes my students perfectly. I would estimate that at least 40-50% of our students are experiencing at least one of these challenges. At the end of the day, the absentee rate is about 20%. Some students attend only once every 19 days in order to keep from getting dropped from school so that their families won't lose benefits. Many students are working late hours illegally because they have to help pay the bills. Most of our students' families receive several types of government financial aid. They don't understand, though, that receiving that money means that they are poor. They have nice clothes and smart phones, but they live in shotgun houses with erratic utilities because of late payments, etc. Many families have limited transportation, and parents who work often earn very little money.

This demographic also has a lot of health problems, so there is often someone in the family who is in and out of the hospital. The students are often at the hospital all night or caring for siblings or ill family members. Students frequently suffer due to lack of vision or dental care. I have at least 8 students who simply cannot see and whose families have not gotten them glasses. There are at least 8 more who have dental problems that have not yet been addressed. It's hard to concentrate when you have a chronic toothache.

Nearly all of our students eat free breakfast and lunch at school every day. Almost all the students eat the fresh fruit provided every day, and most of those who don't take it with them for later. About 120 students also get an after-school snack as part of our enrichment program. Our students do live in a food desert, so there are few grocery stores in their neighborhoods. Additionally, in most homes, there is no dinner time for the family. If anyone cooks, the food is just left on the stove for anyone who wants some to serve themselves. Most of the time, the families get fast food or junk food from convenience stores. This inadequate diet also contributes to the lack of readiness for learning.

This is why I'm afraid to take that job in Detroit. While I'd love to be somewhere where I can make a difference, I'm not sure I can help them. I wouldn't know where to begin. I know an education is the way out but how to convince them to make a long term investment in themselves while they live this reality every day is beyond me.

However, I will probably be there next year once my current principal gets rid of me.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:13 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
A lot of you got it wrong. If all our PARENTS were excellent, we would have no failing schools.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
OK, so you're an exception, then.

But can you see how most teachers would not WANT to stay in the environment YOU have chosen?

Is it not the general trend - as I described above...with the better teachers moving up to safer environments in districts that pay more...and have students from higher socioeconomic status?

As with any rule, there are always exceptions. One of my favorite films was "Dangerous Minds" - I liked the way she refused to give up on those kids, and how she demanded them to make an effort. But for every one teacher like that in the inner-city schools there's probably 100 that will just let things remain as they are.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
This is why I'm afraid to take that job in Detroit. While I'd love to be somewhere where I can make a difference, I'm not sure I can help them. I wouldn't know where to begin. I know an education is the way out but how to convince them to make a long term investment in themselves while they live this reality every day is beyond me.

However, I will probably be there next year once my current principal gets rid of me.
Watch the movie "Dangerous Minds." Watch "Sister Act 2"
Yes, they are movies, they are works of fiction....but you know...you just might get some inspiration from them.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
Watch the movie "Dangerous Minds." Watch "Sister Act 2"
Yes, they are movies, they are works of fiction....but you know...you just might get some inspiration from them.
In fact, Dangerous Minds is based on a true story. Gangsta's Paradise was my personal theme song after I first came to my school in the early 1990's.

I didn't actually choose to go to my school. It was an administrative transfer after the reconstitution of the school where I was teaching at the time. I was very upset about it, but I chose to stay after I realized that I was actually making a difference. I'm now among the longest-serving staff members who remain there. Most teachers only stay a year or two, including the TFA and MTC corps members who have cycled through over the last decade. The violence in the school is not extreme, but the neighborhood is downright deadly, with shootings occuring on a weekly basis. I thank everyone who comes to our school, and I thank them more when they stay. It is not a place that most teachers choose to be, despite the fact that our district pays much better than the surrounding suburban districts where achievement levels are very high. We have about 20-30% teacher turnover most years.

Fortunately for our students, the school where I teach has a long history of striving against the odds, and we have more than a few very dedicated teachers. We're not all great or even "great", but we do have a vested interest in seeing our students succeed. I have former students who are very successful in a variety of fields and who live all over the globe. They have let me know that I was a big part of their success. I'm grateful for that.

Ivory, when approaching an inner-city school position it is extremely important to balance idealism with realism. It's like that adage about throwing starfish back into the sea. You can't help every one, but you can make a difference with the few that you touch, once you have demonstrated that you care about them. They will try to drive you away when you first get there so that they can see what you're made of.

When I help a few students see that they can have a future in which they make their own choices, rather than having those choices made for them, then I believe that I have accomplished my goal. If I focus on the ones I couldn't reach, the job seems hopeless, so I have to temper my feelings of satisfaction and failure. It helps that I don't teach a tested subject. If I did, I probably would have left years ago, as I strongly disagree with the strategies and methods that the district uses to increase test scores.

Old 01-01-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
In fact, Dangerous Minds is based on a true story. Gangsta's Paradise was my personal theme song after I first came to my school in the early 1990's.

I didn't actually choose to go to my school. It was an administrative transfer after the reconstitution of the school where I was teaching at the time. I was very upset about it, but I chose to stay after I realized that I was actually making a difference. I'm now among the longest-serving staff members who remain there. Most teachers only stay a year or two, including the TFA and MTC corps members who have cycled through over the last decade. The violence in the school is not extreme, but the neighborhood is downright deadly, with shootings occuring on a weekly basis. I thank everyone who comes to our school, and I thank them more when they stay. It is not a place that most teachers choose to be, despite the fact that our district pays much better than the surrounding suburban districts where achievement levels are very high. We have about 20-30% teacher turnover most years.

Fortunately for our students, the school where I teach has a long history of striving against the odds, and we have more than a few very dedicated teachers. We're not all great or even "great", but we do have a vested interest in seeing our students succeed. I have former students who are very successful in a variety of fields and who live all over the globe. They have let me know that I was a big part of their success. I'm grateful for that.

Ivory, when approaching an inner-city school position it is extremely important to balance idealism with realism. It's like that adage about throwing starfish back into the sea. You can't help every one, but you can make a difference with the few that you touch, once you have demonstrated that you care about them. They will try to drive you away when you first get there so that they can see what you're made of.

When I help a few students see that they can have a future in which they make their own choices, rather than having those choices made for them, then I believe that I have accomplished my goal. If I focus on the ones I couldn't reach, the job seems hopeless, so I have to temper my feelings of satisfaction and failure. It helps that I don't teach a tested subject. If I did, I probably would have left years ago, as I strongly disagree with the strategies and methods that the district uses to increase test scores.
As do I, because they choose to artificially inflate the scores, rather than actually increasing knowledge of what is being tested. So they score higher, but are they REALLY learning anything more? Doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education