Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2014, 02:10 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
So your answer is that each parent, after putting in a long, hard day at whatever job they have...should give up what precious little leisure time they have left, and, instead of enjoying themselves watching TV...invest it in their child's future? What a novel concept. Good luck getting THAT idea to catch on.

That sort of thing ended around the time Boomers became parents instead of students. Because Boomers never thought about anyone but themselves once they hit adulthood. And sadly, my generation, the Xers....we learned what we observed in our elders.
Actually, that kind of thing never existed even before Boomers. WWII parents were not checking their Boomer children's homework. For one thing, they were working hard enough to be completely spent by the time they got home. For the other, they simply weren't educated well enough.

So a kid is taking five subjects from five different college-educated teachers who are supposedly experts in their subjects. He takes all that homework home and the parent--who has a 70% chance of not even having a college education--is supposed "know the material" and determine whether all five of those teachers are teaching their subjects properly?

And we're talking about this happening in the areas that have failing schools?

A parent might be highly concerned about her sick child's health, and still not be able to double-guess a doctor's diagnosis. She might be highly concerned about her automobile's operation and still not be able to double-guess a mechanic's diagnosis.

That aspect has nothing to do with parents' attitudes attitudes. It's just not reasonable to expect of parents that they know just as much as all of their kids' teachers combined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 02:40 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Actually, that kind of thing never existed even before Boomers. WWII parents were not checking their Boomer children's homework. For one thing, they were working hard enough to be completely spent by the time they got home. For the other, they simply weren't educated well enough.

So a kid is taking five subjects from five different college-educated teachers who are supposedly experts in their subjects. He takes all that homework home and the parent--who has a 70% chance of not even having a college education--is supposed "know the material" and determine whether all five of those teachers are teaching their subjects properly?

A parent might be highly concerned about her sick child's health, and still not be able to double-guess a doctor's diagnosis. She might be highly concerned about her automobile's operation and still not be able to double-guess a mechanic's diagnosis.

That aspect has nothing to do with parents' attitudes attitudes. It's just not reasonable to expect of parents that they know just as much as all of their kids' teachers combined.
Boomer's parents didn't need to check their children's homework because they had already taught their children to value education and that learning was their job. My parents never checked my homework or even asked if I had any but I knew damned well I would not sit down for a month if I came home with unacceptable grades. My parents would blame me not my teacher if I failed to work up to my potential and I knew it so I did what needed to be done.

Teachers are not diagnosticians so comparing us to doctors or mechanics doesn't work. When kids need to be diagnosed with an issue, you call in experts like I did. I paid $225 to have my daughter's reading evaluated by an expert in reading issues. Just as I'd pay for a second opinion if I didn't agree with a doctor's diagnosis or demand further testing. In fact I had asked the school to evaluate her reading but all they did was check to see that she was reading on grade level which she was. So I paid for an outside evaluation.

I'm a physical science/math teacher not an expert in learning issues. I can tell you which kids are not on grade level but I can't tell you why they are not on grade level. In my dd's case she was on grade level. There were no alarm bells going off at the school. I just didn't like that she guessed words incorrectly when she encountered a word she did not know. I had no idea if it even was a problem. The school said she was on grade level so I paid for a second opinion.

And yes, I think that a parent should spend some time with their kids at the end of the day as opposed to watching TV. Working for a living does not absolve one of the responsibility of actually raising one's kids.

And no, the parent is not supposed to determine if I am teaching my subject properly. That's my area of expertise. However, their child is their area of expertise. They will likely know first if a child is struggling with the material. I might not even see them struggle as I don't watch them do their homework. I would never know, until test time, that Johnny was googling the answers to the homework because he didn't get it. Someone has to tell me Johnny isn't getting it. If he sits in class and asks no questions and turns in his homework completed, what is there to tip me off that he doesn't understand what I'm teaching him? Parents live with kids from birth. They should know when there is something wrong.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 01-05-2014 at 02:49 PM..

Old 01-05-2014, 02:49 PM

914 posts, read 943,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post

And yes, I think that a parent should spend some time with their kids at the end of the day as opposed to watching TV. Working for a living does not absolve one of the responsibility of actually raising one's kids.
Agreed. Did you miss my sarcasm?

Old 01-05-2014, 03:00 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,203,498 times
Quote:
We were talking about education, and I related my own education experience. My education experience from the seven year old perspective I had when "education" was being imposed on me. Thus, I delivered what I said from that perspective. If you cannot or will not understand why I did that, then you totally missed my point, anyway, so how about you just ignore me? Or I could put you on my ignore list if you will not stop making what I feel to be personal attacks.
I don't care if you put me on your ignore list. If you're going to call kids names,independent of who you're channeling, I'm going to call you on it.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
So your answer is that each parent, after putting in a long, hard day at whatever job they have...should give up what precious little leisure time they have left, and, instead of enjoying themselves watching TV...invest it in their child's future? What a novel concept. Good luck getting THAT idea to catch on.
That is the issue.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

These kids are not learning college material. Most parents have a HS education, which is what they should know.

Quote:

The less knowledgable a person is the more likely they are to get screwed. The why's don't matter.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
And no, the parent is not supposed to determine if I am teaching my subject properly. That's my area of expertise. However, their child is their area of expertise. They will likely know first if a child is struggling with the material. I might not even see them struggle as I don't watch them do their homework. I would never know, until test time, that Johnny was googling the answers to the homework because he didn't get it. Someone has to tell me Johnny isn't getting it. If he sits in class and asks no questions and turns in his homework completed, what is there to tip me off that he doesn't understand what I'm teaching him? Parents live with kids from birth. They should know when there is something wrong.
Exactly. And there isn't a way for a parent to know if their kid is struggling if they don't know what the kid is doing in the first place.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I don't care if you put me on your ignore list. If you're going to call kids names,independent of who you're channeling, I'm going to call you on it.
I did not call kids names. I said that WAS MY PERSPECTIVE AT AGE SEVEN...My perspective THEN was not that I was a genius, but that THEY were dummies.

I thought I made it very clear that I was stating my then seven-year-old perspective...not my current perspective.

Now if you're going to continue to give me a hard time over it, then I am going to put you on ignore. Because I am not going to take your abuse over what my perspective at age seven was....any seven year old would have had that same perspective.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I did not call kids names. I said that WAS MY PERSPECTIVE AT AGE SEVEN...My perspective THEN was not that I was a genius, but that THEY were dummies.

I thought I made it very clear that I was stating my then seven-year-old perspective...not my current perspective.

Now if you're going to continue to give me a hard time over it, then I am going to put you on ignore. Because I am not going to take your abuse over what my perspective at age seven was....any seven year old would have had that same perspective.
You're repeating yourself.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
You're repeating yourself.
I'm DEFENDING myself from YOUR ATTACKS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education