Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2023, 03:29 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,789,696 times

Advertisements

Because trades don't feed the Education Industrial Complex.

It's almost entirely self serving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2023, 03:34 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,771,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
Because trades don't feed the Education Industrial Complex.
Not as well. The problem is that technical training has to be about real, material things: Practically applied sciences. By definition, they're not fluff. They're not scholarly theories and word salads.

Quote:
It's almost entirely self serving.
It could be and sometimes is, but not as lucratively. The banks won't get as big a debt asset per transaction.

Old 07-15-2023, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Not as well. The problem is that technical training has to be about real, material things: Practically applied sciences. By definition, they're not fluff. They're not scholarly theories and word salads.
True. Also, I'm not sure I'd want to learn a practical applied science from someone whose best option was academia, particularly if it is in a field with strong job prospects (and if the field has poor job prospects, why would I spend tens of thousands of dollars learning it?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It could be and sometimes is, but not as lucratively. The banks won't get as big a debt asset per transaction.
I meant to say that the whole pushing everyone to go to college thing is self serving. Although I'm not sure why I'd blindly take the advice of someone who has no personal stake in my economic well being.

Old 07-15-2023, 08:14 PM

28,666 posts, read 18,771,597 times
[quote=albert648;65555377]
Quote:
I meant to say that the whole pushing everyone to go to college thing is self serving. Although I'm not sure why I'd blindly take the advice of someone who has no personal stake in my economic well being.
No argument.

Old 07-15-2023, 10:40 PM

50,776 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post

And would you take a school person pushing you to go into the trades since they also have no personal stake in your economic well-being?

Old 07-16-2023, 06:54 AM

9,851 posts, read 7,718,719 times
Reading this thread it's surprising to me that some areas don't have strong vocational high schools. That's a shame. Where we've lived they are county wide and all districts can feed into those schools. Tons of great programs. Local businesses are involved and pull from those students. All students know it's an option as they go into high school with many opportunities to talk with department heads in each of the fields and go to open houses. These are beautiful, huge campuses with state of the art equipment and machinery for the students.

Old 07-16-2023, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And would you take a school person pushing you to go into the trades since they also have no personal stake in your economic well-being?
I would not take any person with no personal stake in my economic well being at face value.

Old 07-16-2023, 08:07 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,037,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Reading this thread it's surprising to me that some areas don't have strong vocational high schools. That's a shame. Where we've lived they are county wide and all districts can feed into those schools. Tons of great programs. Local businesses are involved and pull from those students. All students know it's an option as they go into high school with many opportunities to talk with department heads in each of the fields and go to open houses. These are beautiful, huge campuses with state of the art equipment and machinery for the students.
They used to be everywhere pretty much. Where I grew up they were exactly as you describe. But they disappeared in the "everyone must go to college" frenzy within the school system. You can see it in this thread, the number of educators who consider anything not college track related as not worthy of their time.

Old 07-16-2023, 08:57 AM

43,064 posts, read 18,237,901 times
South Carolina started covering tuition at state technical colleges (we have 16). So far it's been funded for 2 years in a row.
In addition SC requires the students to also put in some effort...min 2.0 GPA and either work or volunteer.

https://www.sctechsystem.edu/student...he-future.html

Old 07-16-2023, 09:18 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
South Carolina ...
In addition SC requires the students to also put in some effort...min 2.0 GPA and either work or volunteer.
". .Student Responsibility
Credit-seeking students must maintain a 2.0 GPA and complete a FAFSA.

All participating students must complete one of the following requirements: 1) be employed, 2) take a financial literacy course offered at the technical college or 3) complete 100 hours of voluntary timecontributing to a nonprofit or public service organization.
"

WORK ! OMG
While attending higher EDU?

I heard that's impossible!
Especially if obtaining a demanding program with math and science (labs).
Yet... Millions of students have done it since the beginning of EDU. Plenty have done it while raising a family too.

Great method to work and gain relevant experience BEFORE you graduate and knock on doors for a job. Even better if you are able to contribute and apply learnings to career / actual business practices.

SC should consider making all 3 options a requirement (even for HS graduation).

Thus when you hire a HS grad.... They might have a clue, and a few life skills to match. Financial Literacy course would have great merit in HS, and BEFORE taking on college debt. (Which many borrowers seem to think college debt is not their responsibility to repay.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education