Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 09:17 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Weprin is shooting himself in the foot. The tighter the race gets, the more desperate the dems get.

Republicans accuse Assemblyman David Weprin of spying on rival Bob Turner in race for Weiner seat - NYPOST.com

Oh, obama is underwater in this heavily democrat district - 55% disapprove of his job performance.

Turner is smart to make it about obama.

This special election just might be the bell weather.

Obama Unpopular In Weiner's New York City District - Hotline On Call

Yikes!! In NY? In an at least 3-1 dem district.

Wow.

What a sweet, sweet pick up this would be.
The district while heavily Democratic registration wise, isn't as solidly Dem as those numbers suggest. Swung petty hard following 9/11 and Obama's margin in the district was only a few points larger than his national numbers. With that being said, I do think Werpin will win in a somewhat close to but slightly smaller margin than Obama won the district in 08.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 10:04 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The district while heavily Democratic registration wise, isn't as solidly Dem as those numbers suggest. Swung petty hard following 9/11 and Obama's margin in the district was only a few points larger than his national numbers. With that being said, I do think Werpin will win in a somewhat close to but slightly smaller margin than Obama won the district in 08.

Oh please, just stop already. This is a blue, blue, blue district, in a blue, blue, blue state. This is the seat of Weiner, Shumer and Ferraro. It has been in dem hands since 1923.

If the dems lose this seat.....just WOW!

Old 09-02-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:

Oh please, just stop already. This is a blue, blue, blue district, in a blue, blue, blue state. This is the seat of Weiner, Shumer and Ferraro. It has been in dem hands since 1923.

If the dems lose this seat.....just WOW!
I know the district quite well, dad grew up in Ozone Park (had quite a bit of family there till recently some still there), my mom grew up in Richmond Hill.

The district is Democratic, but quite a bit less so than the state as a whole (registration aside), Gore won by high single digits, Obama won it by about 4 points more than his national margin.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:35 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I know the district quite well, dad grew up in Ozone Park (had quite a bit of family there till recently some still there), my mom grew up in Richmond Hill.

The district is Democratic, but quite a bit less so than the state as a whole (registration aside), Gore won by high single digits, Obama won it by about 4 points more than his national margin.
Yes, I'm sure you do. Every district the dems are in trouble, is not quite so democratic in your book and of course, every GOP district the dems take is bright red. We've danced this one before.

BLUE state, BLUE district, the home of Weiner, Shumer, Ferraro, been in dems hands for almost 90 years.

Please just stop trying to claim it's not all that blue.

Quote:
Only 40 percent approve of his job performance in a solidly-Democratic district in Queens and Brooklyn that gave Al Gore 67 percent of the vote in 2000.
67% is high single digits to you?

Old 09-03-2011, 02:45 PM

146 posts, read 89,260 times
The Weprin spy story is gaining traction:

Dem "Spied" on Rival in Weiner Race | NBC New York

Old 09-03-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Yes, I'm sure you do. Every district the dems are in trouble, is not quite so democratic in your book and of course, every GOP district the dems take is bright red. We've danced this one before.

BLUE state, BLUE district, the home of Weiner, Shumer, Ferraro, been in dems hands for almost 90 years.

Please just stop trying to claim it's not all that blue.

67% is high single digits to you?

I don't live that far from the district, pretty much my entire family was from the district, so yes its an area I know quite well, especially the Queens portion.

No, 67% is not high single digits, I meant Kerry not Gore. The district swung hard after 2000 (in part due to the Orthodox vote)

Old 09-03-2011, 07:11 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,557,244 times
Quote:
No, 67% is not high single digits, I meahttps://www.city-data.com/forum/elections/1370705-dems-danger-losing-weiners-seat-2.htmlnt Kerry not Gore. The district swung hard after 2000 (in part due to the Orthodox vote)
which is growing in answer (there are more reasons I'm don't want to disclose) to your previous point 1

point 2 look again McCain won 6 EDs in FH

Old 09-03-2011, 07:13 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,557,244 times
Quote:
this district is one of the fastest growing Conservative CDs in the country thanks to the jewish vote (which is very Conservative in NYC)

Old 09-03-2011, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
this district is one of the fastest growing Conservative CDs in the country thanks to the jewish vote (which is very Conservative in NYC)
The overall Jewish vote is not conservative in NYC, the Orthodox vote certainly is, but not the Jewish vote as a whole.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
which is growing in answer (there are more reasons I'm don't want to disclose) to your previous point 1

point 2 look again McCain won 6 EDs in FH
Doing a little more looking I do see a few in Forest Hills McCain did win, of course it results to only a very small portion of Forest Hills, and they tend to be surrounded by districts Obama was up around 75% or so, but yes McCain did win a handful of districts in Forest Hills, though he did get trounced there.

Anyway fact of the matter is, its going to be hard for Turner to top McCain's #'s with the Orthodox, and while Turner might outperform McCain slightly in some of the other portions of the district (with the exception of Howard Beach, since it probably was as GOP as it could get due to the racist vote there) its not going to be enough to win. Werpin 53-47.

Last edited by Smash255; 09-03-2011 at 07:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections