Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 08:21 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,558,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Those aren't the real numbers though. They have ethnic composition by CD, which doesn't exactly mean that its the Jewish vote, Catholic vote, etc. The Orthodox tend to be heavily concentrated in certain CD's, so the Orthodox vote is generally all going to show up under the Jewish category. However, much of the rest of the Jewish vote in the city, tends to be much more spread out across many ED's, and in many cases not in ED's that are plurality Jewish and therefore aren't counted in the Jewish category.
1. Orthodox plus Russians are now almost half the Jewish electorate in NYC
2. I trust their estimates better then someone who twice missed the EDs that McCain won in FH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 08:26 PM

22,194 posts, read 19,476,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
yes they can turnout
We will see, however, the well educated (and the Dem base in the district tends to be well educated upper middle class Secular Jews and Asians) tend to be one of the strongest groups in turnout. Now, I don't think the GOP is going to have any issues with the Orthodox turnout, however, I don't think the Dems will have much of a problem turning out the base either. I would say if you are going to compare turnout differences from this race from 08, you will likely see a larger dropoff in Howard Beach than you would in Forest Hills.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
1. Orthodox plus Russians are now almost half the Jewish electorate in NYC
2. I trust their estimates better then someone who twice missed the EDs that McCain won in FH
They basically are only counting Jews in majority Jewish ED's as the ED vote. Considering that the Orthodox are much more likely to live in majority Jewish ED's than the Secular Jews are, they tend to be counted much more than the Secular Jews in the stats for the Jewish areas.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
We will see, however, the well educated (and the Dem base in the district tends to be well educated upper middle class Secular Jews and Asians) tend to be one of the strongest groups in turnout. Now, I don't think the GOP is going to have any issues with the Orthodox turnout, however, I don't think the Dems will have much of a problem turning out the base either. I would say if you are going to compare turnout differences from this race from 08, you will likely see a larger dropoff in Howard Beach than you would in Forest Hills.
I agree but Orthodox jews had one of the worst turnout rates in NY in 08 and 10 for reason which I prefer not to mention.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
They basically are only counting Jews in majority Jewish ED's as the ED vote. Considering that the Orthodox are much more likely to live in majority Jewish ED's than the Secular Jews are, they tend to be counted much more than the Secular Jews in the stats for the Jewish areas.
if that was the case then it would be much higher for McCain.
how many EDs due you think Obama won that were majority Jewish in NY?
then compare them to the ones that are majority jewish where he not only won but was clobbered

Old 09-03-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
if that was the case then it would be much higher for McCain.
how many EDs due you think Obama won that were majority Jewish in NY?
then compare them to the ones that are majority jewish where he not only won but was clobbered
Point being Jews who aren't in majority Jewish ED's are not included in the Jewish numbers, and the Jews who aren't in the majority Jewish ED's are overwhelmingly Secular, (which Obama obviously won by a ton). So in those figures you are likely counting the vast majority of the Orthodox voters (since they tend to be clustered together) but aren't counting many of the Secular Jews.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
So in those figures you are likely counting the vast majority of the Orthodox voters (since they tend to be clustered together) but aren't counting many of the Secular Jews.
if you look at the UWS or the LES (or like we already said FH) most of the McCain votes also came from Jews.
in addition when you take out the Orthodox and Russian vote then exit polling becomes much more reliable so just figuring out what the total number of non Orothodox/Russian Jews voted would give you pretty reliable info for that
and I repeat Orthodox plus Russians are now almost half the Jewish electorate in NYC

Old 09-03-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
if you look at the UWS or the LES (or like we already said FH) most of the McCain votes also came from Jews.
in addition when you take out the Orthodox and Russian vote then exit polling becomes much more reliable so just figuring out what the total number of non Orothodox/Russian Jews voted would give you pretty reliable info for that
and I repeat Orthodox plus Russians are now almost half the Jewish electorate in NYC
And much like in FH, they tend to be surrounded by ED's that Obama won by a ton in. You will tend to have ED's (especially in Manhattan) that Obama won by well over 80% in, won the Jewish vote of the ED by a similar amount, but aren't counted in the Jewish stats by that estimation because they happen to be 35 or 40% Jewish.

Old 09-03-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
And much like in FH, they tend to be surrounded by ED's that Obama won by a ton in. You will tend to have ED's (especially in Manhattan) that Obama won by well over 80% in, won the Jewish vote of the ED by a similar amount, but aren't counted in the Jewish stats by that estimation because they happen to be 35 or 40% Jewish.
no they tend to be in the EDs that Obama won by well over 80% in due to the overwhelmingly liberal vote there that is increasingly becoming less and less Jewish and are a large part of the McCain Minority in Manhattan. the best way to find a person in Manhattan who voted for McCain is to go to a Orthodox Synagogue where even the most left wing of them had around 50% voting for McCain

Old 09-03-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
no they tend to be in the EDs that Obama won by well over 80% in due to the overwhelmingly liberal vote there that is increasingly becoming less and less Jewish and are a large part of the McCain Minority in Manhattan. the best way to find a person in Manhattan who voted for McCain is to go to a Orthodox Synagogue where even the most left wing of them had around 50% voting for McCain
Again the fact is those stats do not include Jews who don't happen to live in majority Jewish ED's, and those tend to be much more secular liberal Jews than Orthodox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections