Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2011, 05:07 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I can't agree with that. I am old enough to remember with great clarity the 60's ... the 70's ... the 80's.

Some examples of THE BAD OLD DAYS:

If you were Black back then there was oppression and persecution. Vestiges of the Jim Crow laws remain. There was job discrimination, also discrimination in housing, in credit, in public accommodations. As an African American there were very very few elected officials from your community. Representation of blacks were few and far in between in the popular culture: movies, TV, the news media, even in the music scene.

If you were a woman, there was widespread restrictions and discrimination in hiring, advancement, and achieving a senior position in the business world. Nearly all CEOs were men. You were told to stay home, get married and make babies. Women who did work made only 57% of what the average male worker made.

If you were gay or lesbian, you were treated as a criminal. The social places where you could meet were regularly raided by the police and the patrons put in jail. LGBT people were totally barred from having a job in the Federal, State, County, or Municipal areas. Lesbians and gay men were often robbed, beaten, blackmailed or just humiliated in public. No mention on TV or the movies could be made of a gay person unless it portrayed that person as a deviant or a criminal.

If you were Jewish, the amount of discrimination was not so severe, but if you were a Jewish kid in public school you were forced to recite and participate in Christian prayers each day. Jews were not allowed to stay in the nicest hotels, live in certain communities, join certain social clubs or country clubs. Limitations and quotas were enforced on how many Jewish students could be accepted in some of the nation's finest colleges.

Latinos ... all of the above. Job discrimination, housing and public accommodation discrimination, discrimination in credit and even access to medical facilities. Portrayals of your community was often stereotypes and down right contemptuous ridicule.

Do you these people enjoyed greater freedom 40, 50 or 60 years ago?????

What does "Liberty" mean to you???????

Do members of these communities of tax paying citizens want to go back to those days???????

NOT ME!

You may think you live in "a Tyranny" ... I don't.

Having traveled to over 85 countries on 6 continents I can honestly say that with all it's many faults, the USA is STILL one of the most "FREE" countries on earth.

Greetings from the birthplace of the Declaration Of Independence and the Constitution ... and also the city of Ben Franklin, Betsy Ross, and Rocky Balboa!!!!
We are less free than we've ever been and it is getting WORSE. What are you talking about?? We live in a POLICE STATE. If you live in TN you can't even travel within your own state without the possibility of being stopped at a checkpoint. I guess if you have an appointment to be somewhere in TN, gone are the days when you can plan on the usual amount of time it would take to get to where you want to go and be there within that window of time.

The Bill of Rights has gone out the window. Unreasonable searches and seizures without probable cause happens every day to innocent citizens. GONE are the days when you were innocent until proven guilty. We are spied on; we are poisoned through our food and so called "health care". Now Obama rules by executive order. He thinks he's a king. Inflation is rediculously high which means that the cost of living is higher than ever before as the dollar buys less than it ever has.

Banks and a handful of corporations are in bed with the government and they outright steal from us and people just let it happen.

Discrimination from the 50's to the 80s wasn't so bad. Anyone who was competent could start a business or get a job and make a decent income and the cost of living was a fraction of what it was today so even if you were underpaid you had a far better lifestyle than you could even dream about in a much better occupation today.

No. If anything has improved, it certainly isn't so great to be anywhere near enough to compensate for how BAD things have gotten. There are FAR MORE things that have gotten worse than have gotten better. Overall things are MUCH MUCH WORSE.

Liberty means to me having an America where the Bill of Rights is respected! Liberty means government employees understand they are PUBLIC SERVANTS and who serve the citizens NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND!
Liberty means having an America WITHOUT the Patriot Act where we the people choose how we run our lives and don't think we have to be subservient to a FEAR MONGERING TROUBLE MAKING GOVERNMENT! Liberty means having clean organic natural food and water available to anyone who wants it where the government isn't constantly trying to taint it for profit!

Last edited by emilybh; 10-31-2011 at 05:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 05:21 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
We are less free than we've ever been and it is getting WORSE. What are you talking about?? We live in a POLICE STATE. If you live in TN you can't even travel within your own state without the possibility of being stopped at a checkpoint. I guess if you have an appointment to be somewhere in TN, gone are the days when you can plan on the usual amount of time it would take to get to where you want to go and be there within that window of time.

The Bill of Rights has gone out the window. Unreasonable searches and seizures without probable cause happens every day to innocent citizens. GONE are the days when you were innocent until proven guilty. We are spied on; we are poisoned through our food and so called "health care". Now Obama rules by executive order. He thinks he's a king. Inflation is rediculously high which means that the cost of living is higher than ever before as the dollar buys less than it ever has.

Banks and a handful of corporations are in bed with the government and they outright steal from us and people just let it happen.

Discrimination wasn't so bad. Anyone who was competent could start a business or get a job and make a decent income and the cost of living was a fraction of what it was today so even if you were underpaid you had a far better lifestyle than you could even dream about in a much better occupation today.

No. If anything has improved, it certainly isn't so great to be anywhere near enough to compensate for how BAD things have gotten. There are FAR MORE things that have gotten worse than have gotten better. Overall things are MUCH MUCH WORSE.
We are less free than in the 1960s? What are YOU talking about? In the 60s, there was a draft. If you didn't like the war, too bad. You were going.

You complain about inflation but inflation is nearly non-existent now, within 2%.

Obama's executive orders are well within his designated duties.

The ACA apart from restricting freedom, means you are free from going bankrupt because you can't get health insurance.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:22 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post

Discrimination wasn't so bad. Anyone who was competent could start a business or get a job and make a decent income and the cost of living was a fraction of what it was today so even if you were underpaid you had a far better lifestyle than you could even dream about in a much better occupation today.

You have to be kidding, you can't believe that discrimination wasn't so bad, and that lifestyles were better 50 years ago.

If you were around at that time, you know better than that.

Old 10-31-2011, 05:27 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I agree, I would never support a candidate that does nothing but muddy up the election. My parents voted for Perot and lived to regret it.

Nita
They shouldn't have regreted it because Perot was 100% correct about what would happen to US manufacturing and our economy with NAFTA.

Never regret voting for the person with the right message who actually stands behind the Constitution with every vote on record. The lesser of two evils is still evil. We must have a Constitutional Conservative if the Republic is to survive the Progressives occupying Congress.

Old 10-31-2011, 06:35 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
We are less free than in the 1960s? What are YOU talking about? In the 60s, there was a draft. If you didn't like the war, too bad. You were going.

You complain about inflation but inflation is nearly non-existent now, within 2%.

Obama's executive orders are well within his designated duties.

The ACA apart from restricting freedom, means you are free from going bankrupt because you can't get health insurance.
I agree with you about the draft being an invasion on our rights. The government doesn't own its citizens. Just as the government doesn't own your body and should not be able to tell you what you can or cannot put into it.

You quote inflation but don't know what it measures so why bother. Food and gas are not included so your inflation is meaningless.

Executive orders have been abused for a long time. It doesn't excuse Obama it just means he is as corrupt as previous Presidents. Congress passes laws not the President. Moving troops or bringing them home is an executive order that the constitution had in mind.

a few examples
Sell lemonade get arrested
Film a cop get arrested
Warrantless wire taps and searches
home schooling has more restrictions
TSA
Quotas
Civil Rights Act - the government doesn't own your work just like they dont own your body. Of course that is the same argument for being against the draft but since you don't like it you'll ignore that fact.

Rules and regulations have grown not decreased so to say we are more free is incorrect. Staffing for those rules and regulations at the Federal Agencies-1960 57,000; 2010 272,000

Old 11-01-2011, 05:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
You have to be kidding, you can't believe that discrimination wasn't so bad, and that lifestyles were better 50 years ago.

If you were around at that time, you know better than that.
Isn't that true. When it comes to discrimination our country has done a complete turn around in the past 50 years. Gays would never come out of the closet then, blacks had almost no rights, and what rights they had were often not honored, women belonged at home cooking and cleaning. I could go on and on. Yes, we have lost some of our freedoms because of government contols, but basic discrimination is so much less. I wonder how many remember when Reagan took office how high interest rates were for starters? Inflation was out of control, and unions ran the country or thought they did anyway.

Nita

Old 11-01-2011, 05:58 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Every time congress passes a law and the Prez. signs it, there is a restriction on the people, put in place.

Now that congress puts more days on Capital Hill, laws are getting passed at a much faster rate than ever in our nations existent.

Our government was designed to be slow and thoughtful. Yet rushed legislation happens at an alarming rate today, with the over, under and around tactic.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
They shouldn't have regreted it because Perot was 100% correct about what would happen to US manufacturing and our economy with NAFTA.

Never regret voting for the person with the right message who actually stands behind the Constitution with every vote on record. The lesser of two evils is still evil. We must have a Constitutional Conservative if the Republic is to survive the Progressives occupying Congress.
but many don't see it that way. They knew he couldn't win and they felt, after the fact all they did was help Clinton.

Nita

Old 11-01-2011, 07:24 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,564,791 times
This country was founded on individualism, we should never feel bad about not compromising our principles. Perot would have been a great President, our loss.

I watched several interviews of Cain today, I am increasingly convinced this man is a complete and utter phony, just like Obama. He ducks and dodges. I hope people don't continue to fall for this ploy. I also feel the same about Perry.
I do not feel that way about Newt or Ron Paul, they are both viable possibilities for me. Before you jump on me about Newt, I know his shortcomings, but I trust him. To me, he is genuine. Course, RP is my first pick.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:27 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
This country was founded on individualism, we should never feel bad about not compromising our principles. Perot would have been a great President, our loss.

I watched several interviews of Cain today, I am increasingly convinced this man is a complete and utter phony, just like Obama. He ducks and dodges. I hope people don't continue to fall for this ploy. I also feel the same about Perry.
I do not feel that way about Newt or Ron Paul, they are both viable possibilities for me. Before you jump on me about Newt, I know his shortcomings, but I trust him. To me, he is genuine. Course, RP is my first pick.
I'm with you...the more that others and the press want to marginalize a candidate, the more interested I become in them. It is like people want to keep the status quo because even if its bad, they have become comfortable with dealing with it...too much change is something that human nature naturally pushes back on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections