Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 01:21 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,467,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
You can't be so naive as to think that Rands endorsement of Romney wasn't discussed and approved by his father.Ron wants to calm things down a bit before the convention because he wants 'the Liberty Movement' to have a long term future within the republican party and knows thats not going to happen if his supporters alienate the 75-85% of the party who are open to a lot of his ideas on some level but aren't Paul fanatics.
If you listen to the interview, Rand never said he discussed it with his father. Hannity asked if he had and Rand glossed over it. He never said his father gave his blessing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
If there is such a significant difference between Romney and either of the Paul's, why are they endorsing him? Political expediency?
Maybe they were threatened.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N_M_156 View Post
People are still forgetting Mitt Romney still doesn't have enough delegates to win the nomination...
That is what makes the timing of this announcement so odd. There has to be more to this that we don't know about.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:27 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,961,323 times

Sen. Rand Paul on CNN's Newsroom with Don Lemon - 06/08/12 - YouTube

Old 06-08-2012, 01:41 PM

I think something has Rand convinced that he's going to be offered a V.P. slot. Did you see the way he came out and brought it up himself when all he was asked about was would he consider a position in the cabinet if offered one?

Also in this interview Rand never says anything about his father supporting him on this.

Too bad Rand can't put the country ahead of his career ambitions like his father always has.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:43 PM

75 posts, read 40,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
That is what makes the timing of this announcement so odd. There has to be more to this that we don't know about.
There has to be some kind of strategy being used here... Romney is on the verge of not having enough delegates for the nomination... This has to be some kind of distraction to keep attention away from Ron Paul... This move by Rand doesn't make sense but then again maybe it does... Why didn't Ron Paul just drop out and endorse Romney... I think there's a lot more going on here... We'll see after the Texas state convention and how many delegates Ron Paul will have in Tampa...

Old 06-08-2012, 01:46 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,543,047 times
Quote:
Maybe they were threatened.

Like they did to Ross Perot?

Ross Perot Death Threats | Veracity of death threat against Perot questioned - Baltimore Sun

I recall him recounting how his security guards caught operatives dressed in black coming over the wall around his family's home in the middle of the night, but can't find a link to it.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:06 PM

75 posts, read 40,423 times
There had to have been death threats... but I'm sure they would have expected that... We'll see after the Texas delegates are counted...

Old 06-08-2012, 02:40 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,938,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
I agree that Ron Paul and Mitt Romney have little in common when it comes to actual policy, except maybe taxation policy (but not spending policy). In the interview, Rand Paul did not mention the upcoming "fiscal cliff", which even Bill Clinton has mentioned recently.

Interestingly, however, in the interview the first thing that Rand Paul mentioned is monetary policy reform, specifically that Mr Romney is open to auditing the Fed, which is actually news to me and I don't believe it.

Ron Paul is also a defender of Constitutional freedoms; in the interview Rand Paul mentioned internet freedoms and Mr Romney's support for that. Though I believe that Constitutional freedoms deserve broader focus, I also appreciate narrow focus on a few select issues. However, I also do not believe that Mr Romney cares too much about internet freedoms in particular and Constitutional freedoms in general. Nevertheless, at the same time I don't think he would be a danger to them, in general.

But the last point is really crucial. Rand Paul - a senator from a "coal" state, I believe - spent most of this clip speaking about over-burdensome regulations, especially in the energy industry, and he mentioned the Keystone pipeline project.

Though I have held the position that Barrack Obama is mostly harmless without a majority in the House and a 60+ majority in the Senate, I have also had the impression that Mr Obama is downright hostile to the savers and producers in the economy on US soil. Recently, especially annoying - even alarming - is Mr Obama's insistence on this ridiculous populist rhetoric when it comes to fiscal policy and his constant playing up of this hostility. Even Mr Clinton, with his most recent slip of the tongue, realizes that this hostility is not good for the country.

I live in a swing state, and though I have also intended to write-in Ron Paul, this hostility may lead me to an anti-Obama vote that has the greatest chance of having a real effect, i.e. Mr Romney.

I also have the impression that Mr Obama may be losing the balance of support among the moneymen, oilmen and gunmen who actually run this country, in particular because of the Keystone pipeline project, which Rand Paul specifically mentioned in the clip. Remember that Rand Paul is junior US Senator in his state to the minority leader in the US Senate, no small consideration.

Also yesterday, Mr Bernanke refused to state emphatically that more monetary stimulus is in the "pipeline".

Overall, I have the impression that Mr Obama is losing the support of at least the moneymen and oilmen who hired him (not so sure about the gunmen yet), and that is reflected in Rand Paul's endorsement of Mr Romney, while Mr Obama's hostile attitude towards savers and producers, reflected in his populist rhetoric on fiscal policy and his administration's over-burdensome regulations, especially in the key energy industry, may sway my vote as well in my swing state, rich in electoral votes.

Good Luck!
Yeah, Bernanke just discussed "the cliff", as well. Sounds like he is trying to pass the buck a bit, maybe get some help and spread some blame. The JPM IRSwap "unwinding" could end up being a bigger deal than some peeps think. I think something could be coming, maybe before mid summer or end of month. Though if they can get an Iran war started could change things immensely.
I think the minions like BO just fine, but the Keystone pipeline has ticked off some PTBs.
I think Rand is a bit inexperienced and naive.
I don't see Romney changing his spots though he tries to give the illusion.
No way I will vote for BO or MR.

Old 06-08-2012, 02:42 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,938,718 times
Quote:
There have been several odd things. I believe there are things going on we may never hear about.
Rand looked pretty reluctant in the Hannity interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections