Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2012, 08:43 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,695,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Before I had my kids, I ran nonprofit agencies. We used to practically beg for local celebrities (news anchors, politicians, community leaders) to come down and help with special events because of the awareness it raised. It was a great moral builder for our clients, our volunteers, and it helped bring our causes and issues to the press to help us raise money. Any politician actually helping by showing up, even for a half hour, with the press in tow is a good thing--we just made sure that we had both sides of the aisle represented throughout the year (or even at the same event) equally.

On the other hand, it's a whole different deal to show up for seconds right before an election, when no one is there, and there's no work to do, to "fake work" after your "boss" made his 47% comments, and your own economic plan dramatically cuts both medicare and social security. He didn't show up to help the charity--he did it entirely to try to rehabilitate his own image as an Ayn Rand loving, I've got mine so to h*ll with the rest of you, a$$hat. People don't like being manipulated, and they don't like phonies. This just made him look like more of a phoney. His campaign staff should be fired.

^^This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 08:47 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,391,753 times
Yes, this was a stupid publicity stunt, and I'm glad it was exposed. That said, I wish politicians on all sides would stop with these sort of photo op moments. I not voting for someone based on seeing them feed people at a soup kitchen or appear at a local tavern, etc.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:49 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,491,545 times
I saw this report this morning. It was a shameful PR ploy, especially so for a Roman Catholic.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:51 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,307,654 times
Whoever manages the Romney campaign is an idiot- Just as dumb as the person who managed the Mc Cain campaign- they really see their base as a bunch of idiots. This fake photo-op is just as bad as the robotcalls Mc Cain used or that con-man they hired named "Joe the Plumber"- Hilarious!

Old 10-16-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkgirl View Post
Then tell him not to come in. Don't let him in to help and then bytch about it. Maybe this is a publicity stunt for the soup kitchen to get more donors. They can say the big, bad, rich guy tried to use them. Sounds like good publicity for them.

And you do not know me or what I do for charity. But, I guess I struck a nerve with the libs. Good. Go out and do your own charity and stop fussing about what others do and what their motives are! Tend to your own motives.
Ah, nor do you know what the president or the vice president do for charity either. But, you want to judge them solely on how much, or should I say, how little of a return they try to get on their 'investment' via their tax returns.

Personally, I think that the more one declares as charitable giving on one's taxes, the less it counts as 'charity.'

Old 10-16-2012, 08:58 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,942,987 times
[quote=janelle144;26528862]Many people are now volunterring in soup kitchens. My hubby and I do it since our church started one. They ask for volunteers and we do it through our church. I would say Ryan and his family are doing the same thing. This goes on all year long. For those who are gripping why don't you find a place to volunteer and help instead of wasting your time here?[/quote

The Ryan family arrived when all that work was done, and you consider this volunteering? Hope you don't have a lot of those kind of volunteers at your church's soup kitchen!

They could have showed up for the prepwork, the cooking, the serving and/or the actual cleanup. If they were after a charming photo op, what could have been nicer than a young Ryan child dishing out food to a hungry person? But no, they chose to do the one activity that required NO INTERACTION with the clientel....hiding in the kitchen pretending to wash a clean pan after everyone had left. Another missed opportunity to display compassion to the homeless....let the reporters in on the conversation between Ryan and the group of people outside the kitchen...but no, just photos no record of what was said. What kind of idiot is running this campaign?

It's bad enough that Ryan is a lying hypocrite. What is appalling is that he is teaching his children to follow in his footsteps.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Sigh... the Washington Compost - and this is why I questioned the reliability of the story.

Has it ever occurred to any of the Ryan bashers on this thread that Ryan did not go their for a photo-op? Think about it. The man is followed by the press on the campaign trail - he can't get away from them. No matter what he does - the liberal media is going to spin it negatively.

So of course what the Compost reports is that Ryan "went in for a photo-op". It couldn't be because he genuinely wanted to help the charity? Naw - he is a Republican - he can't have good motives - according to the liberal media.

If Joe Biden did this - the Compost would be expousing how great it is that the Vice President is such a good person and took the time out of his busy schedule to help those less fortunate.

Here is one thing I am absolutely sure of - if Mr. Biden had shown up, he would known to get there while there were still people there to be fed.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
What the Ryan-bashers fail to be able to explain in their vicious attempts to smear the man is why he would do something that would be portrayed negatively?

Answer - he didn't. He went to the kitchen spontaneously to help the volunteers and when he got there - the breakfast had been completed.

If he had not washed some dishes - he would have been criticized for that too.

The hypocrisy and mean-spiritedness of the liberals here is pathetic.
Is this supposed to be a serious question?

Old 10-16-2012, 09:32 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,944,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
"Are there no prisons? And the Union workhouses, are they still in operation?"

Oh them lazy poors. If only thy'd quit being disabled, homeless and or mentally ill and quit dragging down the rest of us.
Yes, obviously they made a bad choice. They should chosen to be born wealthy...what were they thinking.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:42 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,805,850 times
This is the story Ryan had hoped would propagate from his staged event.

News video:

VP Candidate Stops and Helps at Soup Kitchen - WKBN - 27 First News - Local News - Youngstown, Warren, Columbiana, Ohio - Sharon, Pennsylvania
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections