Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 10:57 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Over the top could refer to Ahmadinejad who was invited to speak at Columbia in 2007
Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad Invited to Speak at Columbia University | Fox News

Over the top could refer to Bill Ayers teaching for years at the University of Illinois at Chicago.

Either colleges want to present a variety of ideas, ideals, perspectives and philosophies to engage students and force them to think outside the box, or they don't.

They don't.
This is apples vs. oranges. First of all, Dr. Carson is part of the JHU community, so it's their own. Not to mention that his reputation in the medical field - so his comments are at varience with empirical and scientific process.

It's always so funny seeing right-wingers just wet their pants about Ayers. Trying to tie him to Obama back in 2008 was grasping at straws. So what? He's retired, and his presence doesn't define UI as an institution, unless you're David Horowitz.

As for Columbia U, actually, if you were even following that, the President of Columbia University Lee Bollinger expressed his criticism of Ahmadinejad after his speech, and students did protest Ahmadinejad's visit. So CU did do what you mentioned "present a variety of ideas, ideals, perspectives and philosophies to engage students..." even ones who are unpopular. Look, we all know what Ahmadinejad is like and his views. It doesn't mean the school was endorsing his views, and they didn't.

Last edited by silverkris; 04-10-2013 at 11:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 11:27 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,072,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
This is apples vs. oranges. First of all, Dr. Carson is part of the JHU community, so it's their own. Not to mention that his reputation in the medical field - so his comments are at varience with empirical and scientific process.

It's always so funny seeing right-wingers just wet their pants about Ayers. Trying to tie him to Obama back in 2008 was grasping at straws. So what? He's retired, and his presence doesn't define UI as an institution, unless you're David Horowitz.

As for Columbia U, actually, if you were even following that, the President of Columbia University Lee Bollinger expressed his criticism of Ahmadinejad after his speech, and students did protest Ahmadinejad's visit. So CU did do what you mentioned "present a variety of ideas, ideals, perspectives and philosophies to engage students..." even ones who are unpopular. Look, we all know what Ahmadinejad is like and his views. It doesn't mean the school was endorsing his views, and they didn't.
Since he IS one of your own, I would think that the success story that Dr Carson is would provide a stronger incentive for his speaking at John Hopkins, regardless of whether you agree or disagree with his statements.

Trying to tie Ayers to President Obama is old news. They were tied together and not enough people cared. Not enough then and not enough now. But there is nothing to be proud of with regards to Ayers and his continued association with Chicago University. Him teaching there was a disgrace.

Ahmadinejad speaking at Columbia University doesn't necessarily mean that the school endorsed his views, but they allowed him to speak anyway. I don't understand why those at John Hopkins University who want to disinvite Carson, cannot provide him with the same courtesy.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Since he IS one of your own, I would think that the success story that Dr Carson is would provide a stronger incentive for his speaking at John Hopkins, regardless of whether you agree or disagree with his statements.

Trying to tie Ayers to President Obama is old news. They were tied together and not enough people cared. Not enough then and not enough now. But there is nothing to be proud of with regards to Ayers and his continued association with Chicago University. Him teaching there was a disgrace.

Ahmadinejad speaking at Columbia University doesn't necessarily mean that the school endorsed his views, but they allowed him to speak anyway. I don't understand why those at John Hopkins University who want to disinvite Carson, cannot provide him with the same courtesy.
I want to like Dr. Carson, I really do. I don't care if he's conservative or liberal. But really, a neurosurgeon comparing homosexuality with bestiality and pedophilia is just plain stupid on his part and completely illogical. No scientific evidence for that. In any case, we have a lot of other distinguished alumni to speak at the commencement, BTW, he's just voluntarily withdrawn his speaking spot at commencement.

Ayers was never tied to Obama to the extent that the rightwingers make it out to be.

Ahmadinejad is a different case - it might be different because he's a national leader, and maybe CU didn't mind the controversy, or it was a special series...it's been awhile. Anyway, you can't say that the president of Iran changed many minds there at the time.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:45 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Isn't Venezuela looking for a Prez?

Old 04-11-2013, 03:19 PM

Just another thought about Dr. Carson. It's not just about agreeing or not agreeing with his views or ideology - but the fact that he has expressed archaic, hateful homophobia, flat out. Putting it another way - is it acceptable to have a speaker express anti-Semitic, racist, or sexist comments and just gloss it over? What if you were a member of those groups being singled out? Look, times have changed and homophobia will be or is increasingly becoming less acceptable. Maybe Dr. Carson failed to understand that.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:52 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,863,269 times
He is just another right wing non-thinking twit. I could care less the color of his skin. I'll laugh when the repugs nominate a black candidate a woman will be first In my guess. and that won't happen in my life

Old 04-12-2013, 12:38 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I happen to agree with most of what he seems to stand for and I don't only give him credit for being a brilliant doctor, but for what he accomplished as a human being, and how he was able to prove, you can come from poverty or the inner city and be successful if you work hard and want success. That being said, you don't start out your political career running for President...
Tons of Americans, including a few from my very own family & social circle, fit that description too... does that mean they should start a political career, with POTUS in mind no less? Sorry, but you'll need to give us more than that to be a viable candidate!

Old 04-12-2013, 04:52 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,656,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
To voters like you who want a Holocaust of Mexicans, Cain seemed perfectly sane but to decent humans, brutally murdering children with an electric fence didn't sound so good.
Holocaust? No one is rounding up Mexicans and forcing them to climb a fence. Nice try using the children too...

Old 04-12-2013, 06:46 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,939,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Holocaust? No one is rounding up Mexicans and forcing them to climb a fence. Nice try using the children too...
Yea...children never randomly touch things like fences....pathetic even that you want to murder adults by brutal electrocution for walking over a piece of land. That's the typical conservative mindset, fry brown people who want to be American

Old 04-12-2013, 08:03 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,656,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Yea...children never randomly touch things like fences....pathetic even that you want to murder adults by brutal electrocution for walking over a piece of land. That's the typical conservative mindset, fry brown people who want to be American
well I'm a black Democrat who leans conservative on some issues...lol.

Can someone walk in your house and sleep in your bed? I think not...

I don't want to murder anyone... but I don't have a problem discouraging people from breaking the law to enter our country. There are plenty of high security areas in America... how many of them do you try to waltz into illegally just because they have something you want?

and kids touch stoves, outlets, etc... I guess we should turn off the electricity in our houses to save the children. lol,,,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections